Seroquel and frequent urination

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all

Has anyone on seoquel/ quetiapine suffered from frequent urination. I have overactive bladder syndrome as well and even had a operation for it. I use to go every half a hour. It is better now and my days are better than nights. One of the meds I am taking for Bipolar is seroquel at night. And after eliminating everything else it seems that the seroquel might be the cause of it. Which makes me very angry as I had my bladder problem for like forever and bipolar for about 15 years. All the necessary dr's knew about both problems, yet no one told me that seroquel can cause frequent urination. Waking up every hour at night drives me insane and really puts a damper on my mood. I would be glad to know if there is anyone else suffering from this because then I am just going to cut the seroquel out and increase my epilim.

Thanks guys and have a beautiful day.

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Ive not had this problem with this drug, but you should go to your doctor and ask about it. I know this as when i got put on my first anti depressants in my teenage years i started to grind my teeth. At a check up she informed me other people had this problem to. It was not on the list of side effects but she said she was going to enquire about it so your doctor might be able to shed light on if anyone else is having this problem.
    • Posted

Hi Gavin

Thanks for replying. As I said it was also unknown to me but after eliminating everything else I was left with seroquel. I went and google'd it and you would be amazed how many ppl suffer from this. I do admit it is like one off the very last side effects......but if there is a side effect that is rare.....the winner of that will be me (lol)

• Posted

I had similar experiences on quetiapine and was always up in the night to go to the loo.

richard.

• Posted

Hi Richard

Glad to hear I am not alone. Have'nt used it for two nights and only had to wake up three times. Not sleeping so well obvouisly, but its better than waking up every hour or a half. What did you do to manage?

Regards

• Posted

I changed my drugs to another one aloperidol which was related to one that worked before.

r

• Posted

I am facing the same problem these days, going again and agian after every 1 or 2 hour is the worse thing i have faced. i have tried in too many ways (taking less fluid at night, cutting calories etc) but the problem remain the same. I will see my doctor but now first i will stop taking seroquel.
    • Posted

I understand your frustration, but good luck trying to get off Seroquel......that's another horse to ride. The withdrawal symtoms is bad ( or for me it is). I also have an overactive bladder and just found out that I am 5 months pregnant....so now i might as well just sleep on the loooooooo.......lol. 

Try changing meds maybe. Good luck. One last thing.....stress also causes alot of bathroom breaks.

• Posted

Ahhh.. Nice to hear that.. Today my doctor have changed both the antidepressant and serequoel as well....lets see how these will effect on my sleep.. Sleep is a myth these days for me.. 😢😢😢 i really wang to get interrupted 6-8 hours of sleep cycle.. The matter of the fact is antidepressants also tend to effect on the sexual ability.. That is a serious concern as well..
    • Posted

Hi there

Thanks, so exited but very worried about my meds during this time. As for sleep......that is a total myth....lol, only happens in the movies. Ther most uninterupted sleep I get is about 2 hours. Been like that forever.

I am glad he changed your meds, i hope it helps. 

• Posted

Hi,

Yes I was on 100mg nightly .now reduced to half of 25mg .I have noticed huge difference. I was up all night on 100mg going to toilet .now I only go once. Great anxiety tablet but side effects awful. With me frequent urination.weight gain, sleepiness,huge appetite esp for sugar and carbs. Best of luck x

• Posted

Yes ma'am i have been going through it for years but couldnt figure it out. I went to my PCP in hopes his dumbass would know. But nooooo all i get is lets check you for a bladder infection. Hell i have taken so many antibiotics it's ridiculous. But still same problem. You would think he would say why don't you try sending me to a urologist. But nooooo so it has taken over 2 years to figure out heck it my seroquel. Now what do i do cause i love my medicine it works for me. Just frustrated is all. Please suggest another med that is just as good without urination problems. Ty

• Posted

Dear Lily,

i know this is a four year old discussion but how did you get on? Did you change meds?

ive just started quetiapine about 3 months ago and most nights i get up twice to go to the toilet, this interrupts my sleep but even with the interruptions apart from olanzapine (which i never want to take again) quetiapine is the only med that helps my sleep.

• Posted

I’ve been having the same problem with quietapine after being on this drug for almost 5 months. I’m constantly having to void urine almost every ten minutes during the day which obviously is interfering with having a normal life and waking up to use the bathroom frequently during the night which is rather ironic as I’m taking this drug to help me with sleep. Yet, it is one of the few drugs that helps me get any any sleep at all. Antidepressants stimulate me so that I can’t sleep. I started out at 12.5 mgs and am now taking 25 mgs. How much of this drug are you taking? And has your doctor left you on this medication or has he put you on something else? Any information that you might have concerning this drug and something else that can work for sleep that doesn’t have this side effect would be greatly appreciated. I’m also concerned about my kidneys as urinating very frequently can also indicate that a drug may be having toxic effects and therefore your kidneys are trying to rid your system of this drug.

• Posted

I started on 50mg to sleep. I am a horrible insomniac. I started weening off about 3 months ago and am on 25 mg every other night. I was on it for about a yr. Didn't have the frequent urination until I started weening off. It's horrible. My mouth is so dry sometimes I feel I can spit sand out. I have some of the withdrawal symptoms like I get dizzy and light headed sometimes when I stand up. Nausea and sometime I am shaky and the migraine and UTI,S. I Just had my blood work and urine taken at the lab. Blood work hasn't come back yet but urine test did and my Dr called me and is putting me on antibiotics for a month. I had just gotten off Bactrim for a UTI. Guess it didn't clear it up. I went online to Quest site where I get all my lab's done to see the results for myself and man it is bad. Seroquel causes serious UTI,S. I was wondering why I was getting so many and I looked up the Seroquel and yup one of it's side effects. My Dr put me on over active bladder medication and it wasn't working and then I got edema in my feet and ankles so I looked it up and it said if you have thyroid issues do not take and I have Hasimotos and it said if you get edema on your feet and ankles discontinue immediately. The edema is gone now. That's the last thing I need. I broke both ankles in June of last yr and had to have rods and screws put in both ankles. I can walk around the house slowly but have to still use a walker outside. Anyone have any tips as how to slow the peeing down? Help !!! I am so tired during the day I can't even function.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.