Serotonin syndrome, recovery?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey.

Almost 2 weeks ago I started to add a supplement of curcumin with high absorption to my daily medicines, in order to fight my newly diagnosed psoriasis which doesn't respond well to cortisone.

I was on curcumin for 3.5 days before quitting due to what I think was serotonin syndrome with the following symptoms:

high pulse

vomits (last day)

muscle pain

tingling sensation over many body parts

fatigue

shivering

The day I quit I took a trip to the ER due to the vomits which started that same day, and I felt really crappy. They ended up sending me home since the doctor said that there was no research that supported this.

Since the 9th this month - 10 days ago - I have only been using Venlafaxine, and my symptoms have changed somewhat. My current symptoms consist of:

tingling sensation

muscle twitching in fingers and legs (occasionally, especially when trying to sleep)

waking up about every 2 hours and having difficulties falling asleep again

significantly less muscle pain

restlessness

Since a few weeks back I've been decreasing my Venlafaxine dose from 150 to 75mg, and I probably suffer from psoriatic arthritis as well, which makes it hard to tell which symptoms originates to what disease.

Are there any risk of the damage being permanent from serotonin syndrome? Thank you for reading.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It's possible that you've been getting the continued tingling sensation and other symptoms from lowering your Effexor dose, I get those symptoms plus many more when I forget to take mine for a day and also the one time I tried to switch off of it. Were you decreasing at the suggestion of a doctor? I wouldn't recommend lowering your dose unless you really have to because Effexor can be quite brutal when it comes to withdrawal symptoms. Best of luck, I don't know how much research there is for Serotonin Syndrome but it seems like a lot of doctors are not well informed of both SS and how bad Effexor withdrawal is. 

• Posted

Thanks it makes me feel better knowing this effect is reasonable did get similar weird effects when I had missed a dose during a weekend when surgery wasn't open to obtain repeat prescription.

• Posted

Thanks a lot for the reply. I decided to lower the dose because I wanted to see how I would react to it, and until I added any high potent curcumin to the mix I didn't experience any symptoms. Talked to my doctor about trying to tap out the Effexor just to see if the symptoms subside, else I will know for sure that Effexor is the reason I get these symptoms.

Since my symptoms get better if I take the pill 12 hours later, I think it could be due to SS, but that's just a wild guess. The brain zaps and abstinence do settle in after being off it for 12 hours so quitting cold turkey is out of the question at least.

I've read on the net that the Effexor withdrawal is among the worst when it comes to SNRI, so I know I have a hellish ride ahead of me, but if it indeed is SS, there's a risk of the symptoms getting permanent the longer I go with it. At least the Effexor withdrawal symptoms can not be permanent, I think.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.