Serotonin Syndrome with Mirtazapine ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on this. I was taking Fluoxetine combined with MIrtazapine and was diagnosed with Serotonin Syndrome. So a few months ago I stopped the Fluoxetine (30 or 40mg) altogether. Now I'm on Mirtazapine (plus Lyrica,Valium,Seroquel,Metoprolol) and have reduced my Mirtazapine from 45 to 30mg. Even since then I keep getting these awful feelings of agitation, can't walk properly, get very mentally confused etc.. Even though I'm not changing my medications, I'm actually getting worse. So I have to come off the Mirtazapine and fortunately have a couple of psychiatrists appointments coming up... Everyone i see just tells me I have anxiety... I can't eat food thats hot otherwise my temperature shoots up, I have migraines that last for hours, go figure.. all the doctors tell me I can't possibly have serotonin syndrome since I'm only taking 30 Mirtazapine and no other serotoninergenic agent.. Not asking for anyone to give me a diagnosis but just wondering if anyone else has had serotonin syndrome or neuro-malignant syndrome on Mirtazapine alone ?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I cant really help other than to say dont give in the doctors have knowledge however they do not know everything I personally research my ailments and almost test my doctor to see what he says ( i do this just to make sure i am not being fobbed off with here take a pill and join the queue) If you think you have a problem ask for a second opinion you are intiataled to ask hope this has helped you a little all the best 
  • Posted

I know this is a year old, but you may still be wondering.

I have been taking 15mg Mirtazapine for 4 weeks, over the last week or so I definitely noticed feeling very clumsy and forgetful which then worsedned to mental confusion, antigation and being very short tempered. The best I can describe it as is racing thoughts that are so loud in my head I can't think straight or concentrate. I did some research and realised this sounded like the beginings of serotonin syndrome. I've definitely been experienceing hypomanic episodes too. Sitting in the doctors surgery today I started to shiver and get very emotional and started to have a panic attack. I'm going to take just 7.5mg tonight and for the next few days and see what happens. What happened with you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.