Sertaline and how it's changing my life!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Here is a little post for those starting on Sertaline. I suffer from panic disorder and agraphobia. Through the years I have struggled with this without meds as years ago I tried ads and nothing worked. So I gave up plus the side effects on these made me so I'll and actually gave me a phobia about taking any pills.

Anyway in July I couldn't take the way I was feeling anymore. Stuck in the anxiety web.. worry all day, not wanting to go out, wear makeup and feeling really low, not sleeping, waking up sweating etc.

So off I went to my new doctor who I can now say is amazing. She told me to take 25mgs of Sertaline until I felt comfor table. The first week I took half of 25... some side effects but nothing I couldn't handle as I was determined to get well. I then moved up to 25 and then 50.. yes there were side effects but again I worked through them. I am now on 75 and wow... 😆😆😆😆 I am feeling g the best I have felt since I was 19.

All I want to say is. Those who are starting on this Journey, hang in there, be patient as these work. Don't give up.

I hate meds but if I need to take these for the rest of my life I will. As they have saved my life

Love Jay

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

What difference if you have to take this med the rest of your life?  If youfeel so good - keep on going.  8 yrs ago I had anxiety disorder and finally went to a dr who gave me Lexapro which really worked after a few weeks.  However, after 6 mos I decided I hated to be tied in to a med for the rest of my life. He told me how to wean myself off but to call if I started to feel lousey again. So I did and after a few weeks of being off it I called him and back I went on it and felt good again.  I don't care if I have to take it the rest of my life.  I don't hate any medication if if helps me and it has. Keep on taking it. don't be foolish by not taking it.

• Posted

Hi Jay smile

It's uplifting to hear good news. I'm very happy for you. It's wonderful you are feeling good. Added to which your story will encourage  and give confidence to others

I too am on sertraline, 50mg, one every morning. I too am prepared to take them for life. Unlike you I had a few months of unpleasant side-effects where my anxiety increased.. But, I hung in there because I was so desperate for help. And I'm so glad I did

Enjoy your life, Jay. By the time you get to the point you have reached, you've earned it

We all have

Best wishes

Helen

• Posted

Hi jay glad to hear this im on my 2nd week of 10 mg citrilopram feel better than the first week but still get a little anxious sometyms i just want to get back to myself
  • Posted

Hi jay glad to hear this im on my 2nd week of 10 mg citrilopram feel better than the first week but still get a little anxious sometyms i just want to get back to myself
  • Posted

How did you take the meds until you started to feel better ? I been on sertraline about 4 weeks now so just wondering
  • Posted

That's good to hear 👍I'm on 150mg 2nd week still not great anxiety through the roof and just don't feel myself but I've been told to ride into out and that it will get better so I'm really hoping this will work as it did for you .

• Posted

Well I am so pleased that you have found a mad that has helped you it's nice to cheat you so happy I've suffered all my life ups and downs with agrophobia and panning attacks I'm take in duluxatine stitch I feel is getting there everyone is different and it works on some people and not others well hope all is good and you master this and get back on your feet good luck penny x

• Posted

Thanks Penny. Still have bad anxiety in the mornings but it usually passes after being awake for a few hours. It still scares me as I hate it so much.
    • Posted

Hi Jay,

mornings are one of the most common obstacles to overcome.

So much is tied up in habit and memory

Before we are even fully awake our mind automatically thinks, How do I feel? Our mind searches the body for signs of symptoms

Most stressful

It's vital upon waking to get straight out of bed, no matter how one feels, let the symptoms of anxiety flow over you and calmly as you can, slowly but surely, go about the morning ritual

It takes time to overcome habits/thoughts that AD ignites in us, but it is possible to change mind set by quite determination and composure

• Posted

Thankyou Helen. I had a huge challenge this morning. My mother isn't well so cancelled her visit today, I had to make a trip to the dump today which is a good drive away, then a visit to the dentist who told me I have gone beyond gum disease on my back gums and its now in my bone so basically I have to have deep cleaning frequently. I don't smoke which is annoying. Then had to go to the bank and then food shoppin. I had a huge panic while driving but I kept breathing, kept driving and now back home safely. Well done me for such a hectic day.

U have just had a cup of camomile tea and now I'm going to relax

This could explain why I have had tingling in my mouth.. maybe it's not anxiety related. Oh well nothing I can do about it now 😑

• Posted

Hello dearsmile

But you did it, Jay. You dealt with it all. You rose to the challenge facing you

It's interesting that those with AD/Panic Disorder, believe they are weak, they cannot cope, it's all too much.

Yet they have strengths those non sufferes cannot dream of

We never fall apart. We might shake, tremble, wobble. Our hearts might beat rapidly, our stomachs feel nauseous, our chest tight.  Our heads might pound, our limbs tingle

Do we fall in a heap on the floor?

Do we scream and pull out our hair in great lump fulls?

Do we piddle in public?

Do we embarrass ourself before one and all?

Nope, we get on with it. Crappy as we feel, scared as we feel,  we battle on

I called that courage of the highest order

If you ask me, lol, we should be given medals for outstanding bravery

By the way, when I have completed what appears to be an arduous task to me but is just going to the shop/doctor/dentisy to non sufferers, my mouth and tongue often have a tingling sensation....So, don't freak

It didn't kill me, lol

It won't kill you

Hugs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.