Sertraline 5 weeks, feeling awful!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, I've been on Sertraline for 5 weeks now, 2 weeks at 25mg and 3 weeks at 50mg. The second week on 25mg I had a pretty good week and felt 'normal' at times. Went downhill again in week 3 and then week 4 was another not too bad week. However week 5 (the week just gone) has been the worst. Really struggled, the anxiety has been there more often than not and I've felt on edge all the time. Starting to feel at such a loss and thinking the Sertraline just won't work for me. Anxiety is so much higher in the morning, I wake feeling so panicky.

Any advice or reassurance welcome, I'm feeling so hopeless right now xx

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah. I think you are experiencing the peaks and valleys because of the change in dose. I would really try to stick in out on one dose. You are at 50mg now? The extra anxiety is the medication. I would stay at the 50mg and let it do its thing in the next few weeks..hopefully it will start settling down soon
    • Posted

Hi Lauren, yes I am on 50mg now and have been for 3 weeks. I guess my worry is that everywhere I've read people seem to of seen a change around 3/4 weeks and improve from there and I'm now on week 5 and feeling just the same.

Thanks for your reply x

• Posted

I think you need to start counting from the increase not from when you started. Everytime you increase, it changes your body chemistry again. It takes time to settle in unfortunately. I think you need to assume you have just been 3 weeks. You will get there. It just takes time, patience and a lot of courage. It really sucks to be honest but hopefully you will start having more good days than bad
    • Posted

Thanks Lauren, I did wonder if it was from the increase or from the start. I was going to phone my doctor tomorrow to see if I need to increase but I have an appointment with a psychiatrist on the 3rd Feb so maybe would be better to wait it out till then? X
    • Posted

I would try to wait out the 50mg before increasing again...the mega anxiety you are experiencing now is from the medication, not your own anxiety. I would try to wait it out until the med can balance out. That is the part that takes a few weeks 4-6weeks usually
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice Lauren. How are you? Has sertraline helped you? X
  • Posted

Contrary to others, my guess is that you've been on 50 for too long without getting to theraputic dosage. 25mg/week is what I've heard with the goal of 100-150. Sertraline causes mental/chemical side effects on ramp-up and physical side effects (cold sweats, nausea) if ramped up too quickly or at full dose. Sounds like you're stuck at the mental/chemical side effect stage staying at 50mg for so long.

• Posted

I'm feeling same as u was OK on 25mg for 2 weeks week 3 felt bad depression coming back and more anixtiey hope this will pass as I'm tired spaced out on 25mg sertrline and don't want to increase dose yet as I'm not really in to this medication but no I need a kick start to get back to my old self.

• Posted

I am having same problems with this med.  i just dont know if its for me.  I have never experienced such anxiety before. Depression no better either. Anyone have any hints on anything better than ssri.
    • Posted

Hi Stephen, how many weeks have you been on sertraline? If it's just 3 weeks then that's still early days and people seem to say they feel better week 4 onwards. X

• Posted

Hi Ann, how long have you been taking the sertraline and what dose? Do you have any other medication to help you through at the moment? X
    • Posted

Hi thank you for replying I've been on 25mg one a day for just over 3 weeks 2 weeks in to this med felt ok less anxiety sleeping better than week 3 feel more depressed anxiety coming Back don't want up dose yet or ever as it makes me a bit zombie spaced out 25mg is low I no also my panic thought have come Back which went in first 2 weeks of this medication I hope it all passes and it's just a side effect of it getting more in my sytems

• Posted

Hi, been using diazepam up to 6mg per day, doesnt touch the anxiety.  Also, i had nausea before sertraline, its horrendous now, cant eat, dont know whether to see gp for advice
    • Posted

I would go back to your doctor Ann and let him know your struggling. He may up your diazepam dose to help you through. No appetite is normal when starting these meds, I still haven't got mine back and force myself to eat. What dose are you on and how long have you been on it? X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.