Sertraline

Posted , 9 users are following.

Anyone with any personal experience would be appreciated. I am about to change from citalophram to sertraline due to side effects but so scared to try something else. Googled the sh*t out of sertraline but not sure if it a good move or not???? Any advice on sertraline welcome!

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I think you'll find they all have pretty much the same side effects, but they lift after a few weeks.  Good luck
    • Posted

Hi Iris. Thank u for your imput. I appreciate every insight at this stage.
    • Edited

I think everyone appreciates positive input! I've been on sites where everyone is scaremongering and frightening. I'm no stranger to anxiety/depression because of life events, but because of the experiences I do know it gets better. None of us chose this path, it chose us, we are not weak...we will recover. Those who try to put us down might just experience it themselves one day....nobody is immune
  • Posted

Hi Madi, I was switched to Zoloft from citalopram as well due to side effects. I just took my first dose 30 minutes ago after not being on anything for 9 months. Because I was so nervous to take this med my doctor prescribed 25 mg to start. I understand your fear completely. My only advice is to give it a try, I went 9 months before I dared trying another med and my anxiety just kept getting worse. I've heard people say on this forum that Zoloft is a mild med but everyone reacts differently. Good luck to you.

Andrea

• Posted

Hi andrea. The doctor has put me on 50g and he said that was the lowest dose ????? Is that right in the uk? Please let me know how u feel in the morning. Helps to no someone who is starting their journey on new meds too. Sometimes i feel like such a failure needing them .
    • Posted

Hi madi, im in the U.S. my pills are 50mg each but because I was so scared to take them my doctor said to cut it in half for the first week. I took it this morning around 7am and so far, my head feels a little off, very tired, but on the upside I had to take my kids to do some shopping and no anxiety attack, where normally I would have easily started to panic so this was great.....but again very tired and dry mouth. Hope this helps. Also I know what you mean about feeling like a failure, I did too but after trying for so long to do it on my own I just couldn't. I just want my life back. I will keep you posted

Andrea☺

• Posted

Hi there, not sure if you started taking sertraline yet but I thought I would let you know my experience over last 3 days as I know we r going through this at the same time. This has been day 3 for me on 25mg, 1/2 a tablet. So far side effects for me have been some chest pain and heaviness along with reduce heart rate down to upper forties when just watching the TV. I've called doctor this morning to find out if I should continue on meds. Also waking up in middle of the night feeling panic......I hate feeling this way. I don't want to scare you as everyone reacts differently, but I know you are trying to decide if you should take it or not.

Andrea

• Posted

Hi andrea. Thanx for your update. What did the doctor advise u too do? Continue? Hope u feel better soon.
  • Posted

I've found Sertraline to be very good so far. I've been on it about 8 weeks. I felt more anxious on a couple of occasions in the beginning but apparently that's to be expected. 

I introduced it very slowly as I was so scared and I think I made the right decision.

I take it at night, about 10pm. I do feel a bit 'slower' but I prefer that to the anxiety. I have had PTSD for many years and was having some issues with it but more so lately since a miscarriage. 

I hope you get on well with it. I've heard mainly good reports. 

• Posted

Thank u hun. Ive had a miscarriage too. Thats when everything started. Ive read other peoples threads and some sound horrible. Which makes taking a chance on a new med even scary. How long did your side effects last for ? Thank u for reassuring me.
    • Posted

Hello Biarritz girl I've been on Sertraline / Zoloft for approximately 37 days now and was gradually increased in dosage to the 150 milligrams that I'm on now and have been on for the last 9 days. For some reason my anxiety and OCD has seemed 2 not improved much I feel like I'm worse now then when I was on the 100 milligrams also feel kind of Speedy from the medication didn't know if you or anyone else on here has experienced anything similar and if I just need to give it more time to work fully. I will add I honestly don't think I'm near as bad as I was before I started taking the med about the same time my anxiety and OCD are still pretty bad. Thanks
    • Posted

Since you've just increased your dose, your body needs to adjust to the extra side effects that Sertraline is

Producing for you

• Posted

Josh when you increase the dose you go through side effects again but they will go away
    • Posted

But generally how long does it take to adapt after the increased dose
    • Posted

Each person is different Josh.....degree of depression, body weight

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.