Sertraline & Alcohol

Posted , 41 users are following.

Hi everyone..been on sertaline for nearly 3 months...i was wondering..i havent drunk for months...and i no it says not to drink..but wat happens if u do drink on the medication?

any help is fantastic thank you

2 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

i'm 19 years old and have been on sertraline, 200mg for about 6 months. this is the second time i have been on this medication and was on it for roughly a year at the age of 16. there doesn't seem to be any major effects when i drink alcohol, apart from the fact i get drunk rather quickly (could be that i'm just a light weight!)

it seems as though some people are affected by it in different ways, so i guess the only way to know how you yourself will react is by trying it yourself. if you have a bad experience then you know not to drink whilst on the medication in future!

don't put yourself in any danger though.. :- )

• Posted

Hey, I've been on them a week and it never occurred to me alcahol would affect it. But the other day, I drank an amount I'm normally comfortable with, and ended up basically paraletic. Is this the cause?
  • Posted

I started on 50mg for two weeks and have been on 100mg for 10 days. Since going up to 100mg I have noticed that a get hang overs very easily even when drinking less than normal. Has anyone else noticed this?
  • Posted

Hi alll, does no body know that Alcohol a depressant and makes you feel worse frown I would not advise anybody to drink if you suffer from depression let alone mix it with sertraline and others. It does affect you, confesion> I know it as I have done it mysel redface . You have to try to have a healthy life, so you will recover better and leave sertrile do its job.. You can have alcohol free beer, it taste great, and if you can not go whithout it, then you have another problem my friend. My advice> Just leave it for a while or take one drink in a special moment only. Make an effort for a while and you will recover quicker. cheesygrin
  • Posted

Re: Hilary, Patient Admin Team,

After reading your post re alcohol, I read your leaflet.

Under 'Getting the Most From Your Treatment', you will see the following third point:

"You are advised not to drink alcohol while you are being treated with sertraline. Taking sertraline and alcohol may increase the chance that you experience side-effects."

Perhaps the information has changed since you made the post, but I thought it needed correcting for those of us who might read your post and think it was carte blanche to drink as much alcohol as we liked!

• Posted

Hi moanalot,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, I have simply deleted the post. If you want to highlight anything in the forums you can just click the "Report" link on the specific post and leave a reason for reporting. This will ensure I do see any queries as I don't read every single post.

Regards,

Alan

EMIS Moderator

• Posted

I won't lie- I enjoy a good buzz. I was on a steady dose of 150 milligrams of Sertraline when I turned 21...and, you know, it takes a couple of tries to figure out what your tolerance levels are when you start drinking. I find that when I get past the buzzed/tipsy stages and enter the drunk stages, in addition to waking up with a headache I feel down the next day. The more drunk, the more down. But so long as I don't actually get drunk, I'm fine. This is likely something that varies from person to person, though.

Basically, if you want to have a few drinks, it won't hurt you. But if you feel down in the dumps the next day, realize what it is and back off in future.

Happy Octoberfest!

• Posted

Hi all, very interesting reading some of your info Re: drinking while taking Sertraline.

I have been taken film coated Sertraline for about 5 years!!!!!, I started taken a 200 mg tablet once a day due to my climbing the walls etc with depression following a major breakdown.

I have a drink now and then nothing heavy as hangovers are still the same!!!!, I personally have not experienced any side affects or differences after having a drink.

We are all different in how our body's/brains react to all types of medication!!!.

Yes Sertraline does have a warning of many side effects, one being Alcohol!!!, I would like to know who does there testing of these drugs!!!!!.

Steve.

• Posted

Hi, I've been suffering with panic attacks on and off for a few years, I'm going through a patch of them at present and my doctor prescribed Sertraline, thus far the side effects are worse than I was without medication. To the point that I have not taken my dose today and plan to push on without the medication. 

I am a functioning alcoholic and I feel it's the mix of Sertraline and alcohol making me worse, my doctor knows of my history with alcohol dependency so why did she prescribe Sertraline if it is known to react badly with alcohol? 

• Posted

Hi, I don't know if you will see this but I just wanted to let you know my experiences. I have a history of alcohol dependency and have been through spells of panic attacks. In Feb the attacks started getting so bad I quit smoking and drinking. From there I just got worse and was prescribed sertraline. Within 24 hours of taking my first one I was sitting in A&E convinced I was dying. I had collapsed, couldn't breathe, couldn't swallow, couldn't pee, couldn't see, couldn't stand...about as bad as it could be. The dr told me it could take up to 6 weeks to work. It then kicked off asthma and I was off work for a month to get myself back on my feet. It's settled down now and I'm pretty much back to normal. I miss drinking but the thought of it makes me feel sick. If you are reading this please speak to your dr and consider sticking with it...there's more to life than this. Take care.
    • Posted

Thanks for your message, I'm not sure what the long term answer is for myself but I can't take this drug anymore. I'm going to AA which is helping both my consumption and anxiety. There's a light at the end of the tunnel at least. 
    • Posted

OK, you know your body and what is best for you. I'm glad your getting help and am sending you my support and best wishes. Come back and let me know how you are getting on.
    • Posted

Hi briaryhead182

Your post has stopped me drinking tonight.

Thank you

• Posted

Kellog82,

I'm delighted to hear that but you stopped yourself drinking tonight. If you hadn't have been looking for a reason not to you wouldn't have come across my post or, if you had, you wouldn't have cared. You stopped yourself tonight. That takes incredible strength and YOU did it. Give yourself the credit and take confidence from that! ❤️ X

• Posted

I've been on 50 mg of sertraline for 6 weeks and the dose has just been upped to 100 mg... and suddenly I feel better! Thank godness. I asked my GP about alcohol (I drink a couple of very small glasses of wine a night, every night) and she said it's absolutely fine and the only reason it's mentioned in the patient information leaflet is that if you have stomach issues with sertraline (and I know it makes some people feel nauseous) alcohol could make that worse. So I'm carrying on as usual and hoping for more happy days like today! No voice saying "wish I was dead, wish I was dead"...
    • Posted

Hi Sue,

This is my third day on 50mg of Sert. I am wired today. The only thing that calms me down is a bottle of wine at night.

Driving me crazy!! The depersonalisation i feel during the day is bonkers!! I dont want to become dependable on alcohol as ive seen it ruin some family members.

Have you any advice?

Many thanks in advance.

• Posted

Hi I too was a functioning alcoholic. I am now in recovery after 8 months of struggle with psychosis. I went back and forth with the mental health services and got no where. I signed myself up to a service that help with drug and alcohol addiction and they have been my saviour. I attend SMART groups which include a little of CBT. I can go daily if I like to talk. I have a key worker keeping an eye and helping me. They will help me get back into work when I'm ready too. Have a look and see what services are on offer for you. Get yourself signed up. They can help you with detox. It will be a struggle at first, but it gets easier. I can now say that sertraline is doing what it should be. Take care xxx

• Posted

Hello Kellog,

Im 32 years old..for the past 2 years I ve been drinking 3 bottels of whiskey or brandy a day..full blown alcoholic..It went to even 4 bottels a day..went to a doctor..he gave me meds and I got through my withdrawals..The reason why I drank was because I have social anxiety etc...and I have alot of stress because I have my own business...and the alcohol helped to calm me downn..I dont get drunk..I just drink to feel relaxed..I have started taken Sertralinne now and I m on day 3...im also a fucntioning alcoholic...but the main reason why I got this Setraline meds is because it takes away my aniety and stress, which caused me to drink..I still drink now and I take my benzodiazepime for anxiety and also withdrawals..and Im waiting for the sertraline to kick in...hopefully then I will be able to kick my drinking habit...Drinking and taking setraline doesnt do anything to me...they say its a week or so then ur serotonin levels will pick up..so Im hoping for the best...Rather than going to alcohol for an answer to my anxiety and stress I should have seenn a doc...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.