Sertraline and Depersonalization

Posted , 13 users are following.

I've been on Zoloft for almost a month now (started at 25mg and just started 50mg today) and there's been one side effect that has bothered me. I used to have depersonalization before I started on Buspirone a couple years ago, but it eventually went away after I began taking it. Now, it feels like the depersonalization has come back. It's not constant but there are a lot of times throughout the day where I feel totally disconnected to to myself, feeling like I'm dreaming or feeling out of my own body. I can't tell if it's because of the Zoloft itself or because of the extreme fatigue I've been having as well. Has anyone else experienced this while on Zoloft? Has it gone away after a while? I forgot how completely disturbing this feeling was, which also does nothing to help my anxiety.

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Alex, yes, I too experienced about a month ago and yes, it was a most disturbing state of being. It was more than feelings or lack thereof, it was like you don't feel like your normal self, like a lack of identity. For me, it lasted for about 2 weeks and eventually went away. Hang in there and give it time. Xx

• Posted

Thank you for the reply! This may just be me, but did you ever notice a huge increase in your depersonalization/derealization when you were more tired? Specifically in the mornings after waking up and at night? It makes waking up rather difficult unless I have Ativan (0.5mg) after I wake up, it seems to help for some reason.
    • Posted

Yep, every bad thing increases when you are tired. That's why I always try to remind myself not to be H.A.L.T.S. (Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired, Stressed) . And the word Halts! is perfect because it's like a command for me to stop what it is I'm doing and attend to these needs first to regain my composure. I noticed whenever I have any symptoms of Halts,  I get more obsessive thought, more anxious, more depressed. I also noticed more around the time of the monthly lady's holiday because of all the hormones acting up. 

I am glad Ativan is helping you, but don't take it all the time as it could be habit-forming. Try to ride it out. No feelings last forever. Try to observe your derealization a bit - I know this is hard - but if you do it'll start to diminish in strength.

Recently I became aware that all the Halts are interrelated, if you're tired you're more lonely, or if you're more hungry you're angry, ie the term ha gray, etc. Take care. Xx

• Posted

Ugh, I understand about getting that feeling more around the monthly lady's holiday. I feel like maybe that's why my depersonalization has been so bad. If not, it's certainly why I'm so much more emotional and freaked out over it. 

I don't know if you suffer from health anxiety as well, but the main issue for me right now is the illogical thoughts that I'm feeling this way because of some sort of random brain tumor. Even though I highly doubt I would have that symptom of a brain tumor at the same exact time I start taking a new SSRI that has depersonalization as a side effect. Ah, anxiety is terribly irrational. 

Either way, how did you come to terms with the fact that this was just a temporary depersonalization, that it would go away, it wasn't anything dangerous, etc?

• Posted

I've just started sertraline a couple days ago and today is better but yesterday I really didn't feel like 100% me, couple that with some really messed up dreams and you know that the sertraline is really changing some things up inside your mind.

What reassures me is that it only medically targets a certain part of the brain therefore I should stay the same person by the end but just with less anxiety. The depersonalisation I'm feeling right now is probably caused by the complicated dulling effects of the drug which is a side effect and should wear off in a few weeks - if you think about it part of who we are, is how we react to the enivronment and others, and the drug targets those points. When you start taking the drug that section becomes unbalanced and hence we get side effects, tireness - insomina - irriatibility etc and so we're bound to feel a bit different personally until we get used to the drug (aka the mind finds a chemical balance to counter/process the chemical correctly). And hopefully after that we'll be pretty much the same just with less extreme reactions like panic attacks or depression etc.

That's my high school educated guess. 

Also another problem is if we know the side effects whilst taking a drug we're more likely to get it, and have it worse, than if we didn't know. Same as if you give someone a drug that they believe will help them they're more likely to report improvements. Mind over matter plays a big part.

But I'm rambling on. Gotta get back to work lol.

• Posted

Hi Alex, I'm confused about something. You're feeling anxiety resulting from a brain tumor??

I am on this med for OCD (no compulsions, only very severe obsessive thought, diagnosed officially about 20 yrs ago) along with GAD and depression. 

Regarding depersonalisation, it lasted for 1-2 weeks for me. I didn't fight it. I found it very disturbing and uncomfortable but I just didn't fight it. I figured that since nothing lasts forever, not the human body and not my feelings, I figured this stage, too, would go away eventually.

So stay positive and give it time. Your fears are often much more exagerrated and must worst than reality. Xx.

• Posted

Hi

Just wanted to see how ur doing now.. hoping ur still checking this. I’ve bern geeking like this for a while.

Hope ur better 

Thanks

• Edited

hi! I just read this and let me say i have the same exact issue ! i keep telling myself i have a brain Tumor for no reason !!! it happens to me in the morning when i wake up and around 4oclock itll go away and then come back at night i dont drive because of it and its been about a month now

• Posted

Not me. i did not read about the possible side effects of sertraline and my derealization is still there after 14 years of being on it!! It also ruins my vision.

• Posted

Not on me . Everything could be great but o still feel like crap!

• Edited

I've been on Sertraline for 6 days now.even though my anxiety has gone down slightly I feel that I'm not myself anymore and worry I won't come back to myself. 2 weeks ago I was switched on, motivated, social able and for some reason my mind decided it didn't want it and anxiety got the better of me. Now I feel like im controlling a robot and im not in my body. I have no emotions what so ever and i feel life is just passing by. It's effecting work and all parts of my life. I feel totally disconnected from my brain but it's allowing me to do things safely e.g driving but I'm not really thinking about it.hard to explain.anyone know if this will pass?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.