Sertraline causing unbelievable fatigue and insomnia

Posted , 4 users are following.

I know well that sertraline can cause insomnia and fatigue. However, this is just crazy. I typically get 6-7 hours of sleep at night and wake up every 2-3 hours. At this point, it's really taken a toll on my body. I'm constantly experiencing this strange feeling. Just feeling very out of it, numb, lightheaded and just all around weird. And of course, that doesn't help my anxiety at all because I'm constantly thinking there's something else wrong with me and it's not because of my lack of sleep.

Has anyone else had issues with this? It's gotten worse now that I've just recently increased my dose to 50mg (from 25mg). And more specifically, has anyone else experienced this same strange feeling? Whether it ended up being due to fatigue, anxiety, the sertraline, etc. I'm a typical hypochondriac that worries about brain tumors all the time so this feeling along with my heightened depersonalization is quite terrifying. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alex, you are experiencing derealization and it is a side effect of the med. Completely normal.  I feel for you though – it is a most horrible, strange feeling, like you are not there or not yourself or in your body and numb like no identity. Hang in there. Not a new ilness. Do not be scared. Don’t fight it. Mine went away after 1-2 weeks.
  • Posted

Yes. Sertraline did very similar to me when I started at 50mg. 4 weeks on all but a mild headache or more like a band is lightly round my brain has gone.... except insomnia. I can not sleep. If so finally nod off I wake 20 mins later.

I am transitioning to mertazapine because of it. But if you can make sertraline work it's a less intrusive drug from everything I have read

Ps I was also put on ciprofloxian and a Steroid to try to investigate if my immune system was over active. I went nuts with anxiety over the combo of them

Unfortunately I guess if people with anxiety can find some to be anxious about they will make the most of it :-(.(Speaking for myself / gallows humour ). But I would say chill as much as you can you are describing a feeling many people have posted similar on

• Posted

Ok so after my chill statements. I have found that the move to mertazapine was masking my insomnia

I made the choice to stay on sertraline because

1. Weight gain on mertazapine

2. As soon as the sertraline started to go from my system I was back in adrenaline release mode. I couldn't go back there

But now NO SLEEP

3.23 am. I know being online isn't helping but after trying to physically wear myself out all day and all weekend and still no sign of my brain shutting down

Do I need to rethink the meds. Don't want to because at 50mg I seem to coping in the day with the stress and mood.

Is there a sleeping pill you can use medium term ?

• Posted

I am EXACTLY the same...gone up to 100 sertraline from 50 after 6 weeks but I feel so bad....No sleep at all.

How long does it all take to settle I wonder??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.