Sertraline help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, I have been on sertraline 1 x 50mg for 8 days and have decided to stop, can anyone tell me if after only 8 days will there be any withdrawal affects? has anyone else given up after a short period?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Is there a reason why you are stopping? I would speak to your gp to see if you need to gradually withdraw or not.
    • Posted

Well basically I am starting a new job on Monday and these tablets have made me a complete zombie. Driving is involved aswell and I feel that now is not the right time for me to be trialing these tablets.

I want to try to go back on them again, I had hoped the affects would have started to subside but it seems as though after day 8 I will not be much better by monday. 

• Posted

It's funny how they can affect different people. I've been on them for 2 weeks today and I haven't really had any side effects at all

• Posted

Really?? How strange. I mean I have heard some real horror stories on here however I would not say they are that bad but considering my current circumstances it's a difficult decision.

• Posted

What dosage are you on if you don't mind me asking?

• Posted

I started on 25mg for a week then increased to 50mg. I was so worried about side effects but they were fine. If you need them I would say stick with them. I know they say they take 4-6 weeks to kick in, but I am feeling better after 2 weeks. Still a long way to go, but there is an improvement from when I started
    • Posted

Hi Amy thanks again for reply.

I think if I started on 25mg that would have reduced some of the side affects. However it is what it is, I think now if I stopped the withdrawal could make it even worse so maybe I will keep going adleast till Monday and speak to my dr.

It's reassuring you are feeling better after 2 weeks. They are definitely helping! But I'm very tired and low motivation which is not what I need for my new job!

• Posted

I would not recommend it without talking to your doctor.
    • Posted

my Dr isn't available until Monday and I feel as though a few more days of taking them could prolong the likeliness of withdrawal.

• Posted

thank you for your reply by the way.
    • Posted

Hi Mich ?

I've been on 50mg Sertraline coming on Eleven weeks now, I did get a few side effects like loss of appetite, sweating bouts and hot flushes. But they subsided within Two Weeks, and rightly so, any Medication affects a individual differently from the next. By the I too Drive at times in my Job, and I've had no worrying issues, you would of been fine just don't drink nor eat Grapefruit. Also Mich I wouldn't come off Sertraline for fearvof your Job, you'd probably get noticeable side effects coming off them so sudden than staying on them. I take mine in the morning before work and as I've said, apart from a few side effects I can't really complain. As for the horror Stories we may read, that is just personal experience, but I'd see your GP as the collective have said, even for a alternative form of medication, and good kuck in your new Job by the way 😊

• Posted

Blind me, I should of put me specs on ...... sorry for the random free for all typo errors 😡

• Posted

Hi Davey, Thank you for your message.

I guess the side affects for me just make me paranoid people can see I am not right and that concerns me as it's a really good job and I cannot afford for them to question my mental capability. However what you said is completely true, the side affects from stopping could be much worse. I think the best bet is for me to stay on them adleast till I have started my job and spoken to my dr. your advice that you can still drive on them was comforting! Thank you smile and thank you regarding my new job smile

• Posted

Does anyone else notice the zombie or is it just you?  What side effects are you getting?  If they're making you anxious, your dr could give you propranlolol.  It's also worth mentioning, if you're having side effects, call you surgery, a doctor will talk to you.

• Posted

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for your message. I think I am hiding it quite well at the moment but my colleague knows I'm on these tablets and so I don't feel as paranoid at my current work which I leave tomorrow.

I was just such a fun bubbly person to people around me as I was good at faking it but now I have no energy and I am sooo tired, I have no motivation and I worry my new employer will think I'm a totally different person!

Main thing at the moment is my eyes hurt all the time also blurred vision and I find it hard to concentrate.

• Posted

I had and still get at times blurred vision, and though I misplace things and forgetful at times. I have noticed I've become more absent minded, I shall discuss with my GP if its possibleto reduce my dosage of Sertraline to 25mg. Also Mich whilst on any antidepressants, be sure to drink plenty of Water. It does help ?

• Posted

Thanks again Dave. I usually take mine before bed but i think that's making my sleeping patterns worse so I am going To wait till the morning this time. See if that helps.

Yes I think I will ask the Gp to go down to 25mg, or i will split the tablet, saves on Perscription charges! Haha

• Posted

Sorry Davey one more question. I have a leaving do tomorrow and drinking is expected. Have you drunk on these at all? I don't want to but I doubt my colleagues will understand without me explaining which I don't want to do

• Posted

To be honest Mich I haven't, I know people who have. But me personally had an issue with Alcohol and since being on Sertraline, I haven't touched a drop,. Strike up a new thread asking the question, and I wouldn't feel embarrassed if you had to take medication, just say you have a headache and settle for a shandy I'm sure thats safe enough 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.