Sertraline side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I've been taking sertaline for six/seven weeks at 50mg and last week my doctor put them up to 100mg. Since yesterday I've become extremely hyperactive and bouncing off the walls. I find really random things hilarious, I have been singing everything, my thoughts are super fast, I've been jumping about and thinking things like I could jump off the roof and be fine. Normally thoughts like that would make me upset but I think it's all great. I feel really wired basically. It's a very nice feeling and I feel extremely happy. Has anyone else had this side affect from sertaline? X

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Clancy

I thinik this med is an SSRI, I found that SSRI's made me hyper like this until I started taking a mood stabiliser and anti-psychotic.  To me, and I'm no medical professional, it sounds as if you are exepriencing hypo-mania which is a symptom, when combined with depression, of bipolar II.  I think you need to get back to your dr. or psychitrist quickly and get an expert opininion and possible extra meds.  I used to really enjoy the hypo-mania when I was so creative, but it also led me into destrcutive behaviour in time and after every attack, another round of depression.

Again, I stress I'm not a medic but I do think you need an expert opinion

With my best wishes

xxxx

• Posted

Hi Lizzie,

apologies for contradicting you here, but I think adding extra meds to counter drug side effects (Sertraline can cause hypomania) is not the right way to go.

Each additional drug you put into the brain will change the brain architecture over the long term and each drug has the risk of nasty side effects.

Additionally, coming off a drug cocktail like that is more difficult if you ever want to quit.

I would rather drop the dose again (slowly and with the help of the doctor!!!). Abrupt changes in dose are dangerous.

It also depends a lot on the reason why the dose change was made. Did the drug stop working?

Cheers,

Laura

• Posted

Hi Laura

I would agree that lots of different meds change the brain architecture, but I can only speak from personal experience, which is that I haven't had lots of unpleasant side effects and have beens stable for years.  I know it would be hell to come off them, but then I have no intention of doing that, why should I when I feel so well.  However, having said that my local pharmacist has written to my gp requesting a medications review due to a combination risk of heart iregularities, I'm really scared about it.

Lizzie

• Posted

Hi Clancy, 50mg to 100mg sounds like too big a jump to me. Maybe your doctor should have considered 75mg. If I were you, I'd get back to him PDQ. I fully understand that you're enjoying this state - I sometimes got hypomanic myself when I was young and can still remember what it felt like - but this isn't healthy. You may indeed need a mood stabiliser eventually, but I'd be more in favour of adjusting the dose of what you're already on before adding any more chemicals into the mix. If 75mg isn't enough to keep you out of the depression, your doctor could always put you back up to 100mg with something additional to calm you down a bit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.