Sertraline Use long-term

Posted , 37 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading forums about sertraline. I've had panic attacks all of my life and a few years ago I used sertraline for several months with a lot of success, and with councelling as well. However, I'm in a stresful job with a large family (i'm the main provider) and I feel totally inadequate when i'm stressed.

I've restarted sertraline and wondered if anyone had any concerns about long-term use : i'd rather prefer to keep on this drug permanently. Apart from headaches and tiredness in the first few weeks, the only side-effect I experienced was a big appetite.

Also, is there a website for people with panic attacks and anxiety? I feel so different from my colleagues that it makes me feel lonely that I am different. I'd like to share my feelings in this respect with people who have similar problems.

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Dave-A,

was interested about your posting. I too hold down a full time job and have no option but to work. This is hard when I feel especially anxious or when very low. I too feel different from my colleagues as though I am the only one who feels anxious about my work. I have not had a full panic attack for a while but always feel vulnerable. Anxiety is quite bad at the moment as in withdrawal from meds.

I am currently coming off Duloxetine which had no theraputic effect whatsoever. I have not felt so depressed for a while. I am starting on the Sertraline at the weekend and hope I can cope with side effects next week whilst working(when I would rather hide away until I feel better).I was heartened to hear you didn't suffer too many side effects the first time you were on the medication.

I wish you all the best. Keep your chin up!!

Anna

• Posted

Hi,

I've been taking sertraline for 16 yrs. I've tried to stop taking it and each time I become so anxious and depressed I can't function. The sertraline makes me a completely different person. At first I experienced diarrhea and stomach cramps with sleepiness but after about a week they went away. Now, the only side effect is an increased appetite. You will gain weight on sertraline, but for me its worth it.

Thanks and Good Luck!

• Posted

Do you find that after 16 years it's still effective? I'm questioning it with me

• Posted

I have been on Sertraline for several years with good effect albeit weight gain too. Having been off the drug for two weeks now I am going back on it today. This weekend has been dreadful feeling that I just cannot cope with my teenage children, and wanting to basically not be around anyone. Looks like I am going to be on it for a lot longer yet. 
  • Posted

I have been on Sertraline for 5 months, it has certainly made a difference to my life....I have been seeing a consultant psychiatrist for anxiety & depression, he says it is possible to stay on a maintainence dose of antidepressants for a long time, (monitored) . I have been seeing a CBT therapist, who has taught me to accept my anxiety, and believe me, this works....it really helps change the way that you think, look it up on Google.

Finally I would recommend a website called No More Panic...you will find it helpful and supportive, as I did when at my worst.

Wishing you all the very best,

Annie smile

• Posted

Hi, just been reading everyones comments and thought i'd let you know of my experience on sertraline.

I have been taking sertraline now for approximately 18 months. I have/had OCD and anxiety. I was prescribed sertraline initially on a 50mg and proceeded gradually up to 150mg, i felt at 50mg i wasn't feeling too different but as i upped the does to 100 and then 150 i found a significant change in my anxiaety and OCD, i was also sent on a 6 month course of CBT which helped a great deal but i noiw stopped this as i feel i have got as much out of it as i can. My GP strongly advised taking the sertraline along with going to the CBT sessions as both together works much better than one or the other on their own.

As i said i have been taking sertraline now for 18 months or so and have had no side effects of any note to worry about. I don't wont to be on them forever and would like too gradually downgrade my dosage however, i have concerns about slipping into my old ways.

I'd be interested to kn ow if there is anyone else out there who has been on sertraline for a lenghty period and has now downgrded or actually stopped taking them. I have sort of tried to downgrade myself (invariably when i have had a few days forgetfullness) and the jittery feelings are not nice (they certainly remind you youv'e not taken your tablets, hence another reason why i'm a bit concerned about coming off sertraline.

Anyway hope everyone reading this is good and taking care of themselves.

Phil

• Posted

I've been taking it for 16 yrs. No problems! My anxiety and depression are life threatening. Sertraline works great for me!

Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi Phil,

I have been on sertraline (ie zoloft) for 24 years! Ive suffered from OCD my whole life which leads into my depression. But this was the magic bullet. I have been able to whittle my dose down over the years to 100mg per day. And I OFTEN wonder what it may be doing to my body long term. Even though, medically, Ive been told there really isnt anything to worry about, I worry. It basically inhibits the uptake of seritonine from synapse to synapse so I DO WORRY about long term use. Because it was really so new when I begain taking it, Im really the first generation of long patients. Although, I find the thought of being a medical guinie pig unnerving, I found my OCD far more unnerving. Basically, I dont know.

• Posted

Hi, I have been on and off Zoloft for about 20 odd years. Like you, I started with the brand before the generic sertaline. I lowered my dosage so much that my OCD came back this Nov with a vengeance. Recently restarted and on my highest dose at 150 mg. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you now? This last time I decided I am not lowering my dosage. And I wanted to not exist, because I couldn't kill myself but I pray to a God to take me home before I had to go thru this attack/episode one more time. I got off z many times because I was afraid of how it could damage my body if I took it long term, not to mention I was afraid of the pooped-out effect. But now I don't want to ever reduce dosage or get off of it. I am pure O and when I go thru it, it consumes me 24/7 that I feel myself going mad and I want to die. During my good phase it doesn't bother me at all. I am healing right now, praying to return to my good days. I am in early 40s and want it to last till I'm in early 60s...good as any a time to go or experience pooped out effect. Also, did you have any issues during these 24 years? 

To all sufferers, my prayers and hugs!

• Posted

I can get by at 100mg. I will be 46 in Feb and started Z in Nov of 1992. Please do not dispair! I have weighed OCD vs. mystery effects on my body and will go with the mystery effects every time! OCD sucks. I see it in my 13 yr old son and pray for him. I see Z as the magic pill that frees me from it. No its not therapy, which I have done, but it is one tool in a large tool box that helps me "work" on it. Dont go off of Z because you are afraid of the unknown. Stay healthy and in tune with your body and any changes. Be diligiant but not paranoid.

• Posted

I have never done therapy before, but I am considering it. I have always thought that therapy wouldn't help me because I have no compulsions so no point in doing ERP. But maybe I should try CBT? Not sure.

How was therapy? Do you find helpful?

Thanks.

• Posted

I am 35 years old and have been taking 300 Mgs of sitraline for 17 years. Never had any health issues other than bad cholesterol
    • Posted

Thank you for sharing. If you don't mind me asking, what are you on it for? Also, is it still working for you like it always has? 

• Posted

Like a lot of people, I think I'm predisposed to being a bit paranoid. It's just the way my mind works. I am naturally prone to panic, feeling depressed & suffering extremes of emotion (up and down). I won't elaborate on childhood experiences but they were complex and undoubtedly contributed to shaping how my mind works. Hence the therapy, exercise, diet and tablets all together are necessary IMO.

As long as I feel normal and calm I believe the tablets do work. But I only really appreciate them over time when I come off them!

Hope this helps - but for me it's also about quality of life as well as coping with being the provider in a large family.

• Posted

I could relate. Looking back, I had childhood OCD without even knowing about it. And so, same here. I agree with you here on every counts. 
    • Posted

Devonte72

I'm on it for depression. Benefits have diminished a bit, but don't want to do without it!

• Posted

Have you ever had any issues with memory? I've been taking Z for about 20 yrs now. 100mg daily and over this last 3 years my short term memory has progressively declined. I'm just trying to narrow the window....age or Z?

Thank,

Cathy 😊

• Posted

I quit about a year ago and my memory has got noticably better. zoloft should only be used for short periods. F****d me all up
    • Posted

I've been on zoloft for 14 years and I've definitely noticed short term memory loss. Examples of this also include difficulty finding the *right* word when having a conversation. Also, can't ever remember anyone's name for the life of me lol smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.