Seven days Codeine free

Posted , 7 users are following.

Well this is my day seven of going cold turkey and I havent had any codeine since last monday.

I wont tell you that its easy and the first 4 to 5 days are hard. I gave up smoking nearly 10 years ago so I have gone through addiction before and its very similar.

Up to now ive been aching, back (kidney) pain and headaches. Ive also just had a cold bug which im putting down to low immune system due to withdrawal as I did with smoking.

Having looked at other peoples posts and the amounts of codeine that some people have taken over such a long period of time my addiction was minimal but still its an addiction no matter what.

Im finding my mood is different as before I got very stressed and anxious and would snap so im hoping this stops.

Im also going to visit my doctor to tell them to add codeine as an allergy to my records and prevent it from being prescribed in the future.

I dont ever want to take these horrible tablets ever again and to help with that I just keep thinking that if I had any more I would be sick. The same as if I had another cigarette I would be sick so with both addictions Im treating them as the same.

For someone now who has an addiction but is really scared to stop, dont be scared. Be strong, this medication is going to kill you from the inside, so stop now and live a good life x

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Seven days free! That is sensational!!!

Keep up the good fight, just like giving up cigs you know one drag and your gonna be back smoking.

Stay strong.

• Posted

Good for you..your right it's not easy .I went cold turkey July 3rd this year..phew....it was hard but ok now it was so so worth it.....

• Posted

Thats brilliant, well done.

When did you start to find it easier?

• Posted

About the 4th week....got cravings for them few time for a few weeks after that...but it passed soon after...I thought if I could give up smoking 24 yrs ago cold turkey... I can do this ..
    • Posted

Thanks for that, gives me a good idea as to when I will start feeling better properly. These stomach and kidney pains arent nice but it just tells me that the codeine has been doing damage inside.

And you also gave up smoking, seems like we have a similar story

• Posted

It will pass....it's worth it..you are doing great...

• Posted

Hello Abbox. Many thanks for taking the trouble to post your story and progress. Well done. All these posts really do help people like me who are stuggling to quit. I am so addicted to codeine that I can't imagine coping without it so it helps me to read your comments. Stay strong and keep going. Well done! Drew xx

• Posted

Well done! That is a great achievement! As you know with kicking your nicotine addiction, your moods will level out again,you are probably a little anxious still, I found that was a huge thing with N plus but didnt have it with Panadeine extra. All the symptoms you've listed are side effects of withdrawing fromthis stuff, including the cold. If I hadnt had any for a few days Id get a tickle in throat, runny nose and sneeze like there was no tomorrow.

• Posted

Thank you didi.

How have you been able to kick the habit?

Im also wondering if the addiction has anything to do with putting on weight as well?

• Posted

After trying many times, the first time I tapered off which was easy. I then returned to N+ when I moved out west and have no access to constant care for my back injury. This time, I found out accidentally, that by switching to Panadeine extra, which has a higher dose of codiene, I get no side effects what so ever. I control it now instead of it controlling me because of the horrid side effects theat make you keep taking N+.

I actually wonder if the issue is ibuprofen and not the codiene. I can take other codiene products and stop no issues but Ibuprofen and codiene I dodge like Id dodge a bullet... I think it does come into play with weight gain, in particular, bloating around the stomach. Because your liver function is decreased your body can't rid itself of toxins and continues to build toxic residue in the body. I noticed a few years back, I had this awful smell coming out of my pores and also fatty deposits on the whites of my eyes. All have cleared up since not taking anymore.I was also being tested for Hepatitis or inflammation of the liver, which has also settled down.

• Posted

Thank you didi.

Its good to know my body will get back to normal very soon, im seeing a lot of toxins leaving my body now.

I had a blood test earlier on this year which showed my liver had raised levels so they requested a scan. The scan showed my liver is slightly enlarged so im glad a can get that back to normal before its too late.

I went to my doctor yesterday and she was very impressed with me. She has prescribed me gabapentin but having woken up with a horrible headache this morning, i wont be taking anymore of them. I also asked her to make a note on the system to not give me any codiene products.

Im day 9 now and no going back. I know this is the best thing to do to reset my body and get it back to normal.

• Posted

Didi

I think she was thinking about the back pain I have been having as she originally said she would give me amitryptaline but changed her mind and I cant remember why. So for nerve pain really. But with the side effects of that I would rather try just paracetamol and heat packs now. I didnt read the leaflet either to check on the side effects. And she gave me 100 straightaway. This is the problem with doctors unfortunatley, just prescribing so many tablets straightaway is wrong and it needs to be stopped.

• Posted

It is dead set wrong. I always wonder if what kick backs they get from what they prescribe . I urge everyone to Google what is bein given to them.

I too suffer from a back injury and some of the stuff prescribed over the years was mind blowing which is how I ended up with a N+ addiction. At one stage the doctor prescribed me 2 drugs to be taken at the same time. It caused swelling of my hands and feet. I went back and told him and he argued with me that it wasnt side effects because it wasnt listed. I stopped taking them and it went away. GPs don't know everything. This is the same doctor I approached about my N+ addiction and he laughed at me and said it was impossible even though at that stage I was on 30+ a day.

• Posted

Hi didi

​Sorry but codeine is an opiate and also contained in Ibuprofen Plus ad panadeine.

I saw a neurologist who blamed codeine albeit only taking a small dose for all of my signs and symptoms which were horrendous.

• Posted

I don't understand your comment? Of course Codiene is an opiate, it metabolises  as morphine in your liver. It was just my experience with both N+ and panadeine extra. I had no issue coming off the latter but N+ was horrendous. Shakes, sweating, leg cramps, diarhea all present with N+ but nothing with Panadeine extra.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.