sever nerve pain 3 years after right hip replacement

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all , i am at the end of my teather. had hip replaced 23/11/11 . thought all my christmas's had come together to be free from pain , how wrong was i . 8 weeks after having op  ( done in Ireland)That is where i live now, i developed 2 Deep vein  Thrombosis in my groin spent the next 12 months on blood thinning treatment and continuos treatment for Trocanteric Bursitus . i have had Injections done in theatre which are very painfull some only gave me releif from pain for 3 days. 

Now I am in contant nerve pain down the side of my right leg which sends spasms of severe ripping electrical pain all over my thigh,and it feels like my thigh muscles are ripping apart . It is that bad that i have not had a nights sleep in months . the pain is so severe i wake the whole household screaming and crying with the pain.

I had MRI no problem with lower back so i am convinced it is down to my hip . Also i now have to have my shoes raised as my leg with my new hip is 3/4 of an inch longer than the other . I am so sorry for moaning but i am so depressed i wish i could turn the clock back and never had this hip done. I am stll waiting to get an appointment to see my surgeon . any help in advice to releive me of the pain would so be welcomed 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi

how awful. Hope you can get some help soon.  Will be thinking about you.

hilary

• Posted

Hi Bridget

so sorry to hear of your bad experience. Can't your gp give you anything for the pain?

• Posted

Oh Bridget! I am so sorry to hear this! Poor you! Can you get your gp to refer you to another consultant? Good luck regards Amanda
  • Posted

Hi Bridget,

So sorry to read your post and to hear how you have been in pain for so long along with suffering a DVT.  I am in a similar position to you and have suffered with this like you for years.  If you read my posts you can see what treatment I have tried to date, unfortunately nothing has worked for me as yet.

I just want you to know you are not alone, this forum is great for offering support when needed.  Please keep me up to date with any progress you may have as this might also in turn help me with resolving or getting answers to the pain I have.

• Posted

Wow Bridget you have had a terrible experience.

The electrical pain means usually nerve damage.usually femoral nerve damage. There are medications specific for that kind of pain codeine doesn't work as well for nerve pain. However gabapentin helps so much for nerve pain.

I also wonder if maybe your hip replacement hard ware is the right size for you.

I have read sometimes the head or top of the hip can be too big for the placement.That can cause a lot of continued pain.

I feel so sad for your suffering.Sending hugs to you.

• Posted

Hi Bridget,

Your pain is what we would all like to avoid.  I have hip pain but no replacement yet. I don't use any drugs- personal choice. I use a hot water bottle at night in bed.  I have also used it during the day when the pain was too great to continue working.  It works for me.  I also use a tumeric with blackpepper pill.  It is called Curcuma by Botanica.  It seems to work for me as an anti-inflammatory.  You may be able to find the same concoction where you live.  I also use crutches to help keep the weight off of the injured hip.

Hope this helps a litte.

Mikey 

• Posted

I question that it is nerves and deep vein thrombosis.

I bet it is tendonitis. Look up tendonitis of the IT band. 

I had that on both legs. It is a pain that goes from just above your knee to about the middle of your thigh. The pain is on the outside of your leg. Using a few fingers you can trace the exact path of the pain. Usually Tendinities of the IT band is experienced by runner and I am not one. I got mine a different way which I will not go into.

I suspect that groin pain is not a deep vein thrombosis either but rather tendonitis of the psoas muscle. Look up Iliopsoas Tendinitis. It is an orthopedic surgen to treats Tendonitis as tendons and bones go together. I would see a different orthopedic surgeon. Look up "Iliopsoas Tendinitis after Total Hip Replacement" A physical therapist should be able to put his/her hands on your groin and find your psoas muscle, if that is where the pain is coming from then that is what needs treatment on.

All hope is not lost, the normal treament for tendonitis is to stop any activity that causes it pain. Tendonitis is little rips in the tendon, tears. You rest it and let the lettle treas (rips heal up) if you don't do this you will move onto tendonosis (which I had) in other words a perment condition. Thankfully, I could literally kiss the ground, my Total Hip replacement resolved my IT Band tendonosis. I did develop  Iliopsoas Tendinitis after the surgery, my physical therapist touched the psoas muscle and said, "Is this it?" and when I said yes he told me what it was. Since I had such bad tendonitis previously I simply laid around (getting up after sitting aggravted it so I laid on the couch) and let it heal. And after about 3 weeks it did heal up.

Maybe I am wrong but your symptoms sure seem more like tendonitis than nerve pain. If it is nerves then you should see a neurologist who specializes in nerves and can specifically test. The key to why I say tendonitis vs nerve is because the pain is very specific from above the knee to your thigh on the outside. People who describe nerve damage the pain goes all the way down into their foot. I would be talking to your doctors about tendonitis. Best of luck! if all else fails an orthopediac surgeon can go in and relase one of the tendons through surgery and you can come back. 4 years is long enough, if it was going to heal it would have healed by now. IMHO you need to see a different doctor. Go for a different opinion.

• Posted

Hi Jodi  my pain starts on th outsine of mu hip and goes down the out side if my thigh  an diagonally across my thigh to my inner thigh .numbness tingling pins and needles leading to a horendous electrical shock tearing sensation it is un bearable hope this explains my symptoms and thank you for your reply
    • Posted

Bridget, you described my nerve pain to.

Mine actually feels like a bolt of lightning hits along my leg spreads across the thigh and down the knee. Hurts a lot.

Good news is gabapentin works perfectly.

• Posted

I have an appointment at 10:30 this morning with my gp i am going to mention  gabapentin to him and see if he will prescribe some for me . at the moment i dread going to bed a night because the pain is worse when i am in bed . Thank you for your support 
    • Posted

Dear one I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I sure pray he will let you try that medication. I also used it for trigeminal nerve pain in my face. That one hurts like something awful. Now that's gone. 

Hopefully my nerve pain will soon heal too. Let me know how well this dr. Visit goes with you 😺

• Posted

Good morning Ginger no luck i am affraid my gp wants me to wait to get an appointment with the surgeon who did my op i am in for a long wait it took me 18 months to get to see him last timesadin the mean time my gp gave me a perscription for Arcoxia and tylex,   oh my days !!!!!
    • Posted

Bridget which country are you in? If UK, make sure your GP has requested an URGENT referral orherwise it will be 18 months. Meanwhile, try what he's given you foR a week or so and if the pain is no better, go back and tell him its so bad you can't cope and the stuff he's given you isn't helping and keep going back until he does help. If you google making a complaint about nhs in your area you may find you can complain about him fobbing you off and this may help you to get better service.
    • Posted

Oh my goodness.That is so unfair go the gp to do that.

I haven't ever heard of the two meds he gave you. So I don't know what they do for pain.

Please don't give up.The other person have good advice for things you can do.

Is there any chance to see a neurologist? I'm in the U.S.do I don't know how your medical system works.

The neurologist would give you that nerve medication.However my medical doctor have it to me for the facial nerve pain.keep pushing forward.Please don't give up.sad

• Posted

I had the same problem post hip replacement.  The doctor made my leg 1.5 inches too long.  I developed severe, debilitating nerve pain on the outside of my thigh and in my groin.  I got shock waves several times a day in addition to constant pain.  The doctor had me use three lidocaine patches on my thigh.  It took about three weeks to have full improvement.  There is also the option to see an anesthesiologist for a nerve block or to simply cut the nerve.  This is a femoral nerve impingement.  It is a sensory nerve so it only provides sensation.  It has nothing to do with movement.  I was planning for cutting it if the pain did not go away.  I would rather have numbness than severe pain.  Once that improves, the next thing I got was severe IT band pain.  I am getting dry needling from a physical therapist to help that plus deep massage. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.