Severe Allergic Reaction to Trimethoprim

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was given Trimethoprim by my doctor last December for a urine infection, I had had this drug a couple of times before and had been fine. I took the first tablet before going to work, within 30 minutes my heart started racing and I felt breathless. I felt so ill I left work and just about managed to drive home. I immeditaley called my GP as I was now struggling to breathe. She told me to call an ambulance. This seemed ridiculous but I was now feeling so ill I had no choice. I then started vomiting. I was taken to hospital and how now developed the most mindblowing headache. My heart trace led the doctors to believe I may be about to have a heart attack (i'm only 39). I told them about trimeothopim but they said this would not of given me these symptoms. I spent 4 days in hospital. When I was discharged I felt awful, I had stiffness down my neck and left side. I had to have 2 weeks off work.

I went back to work and within a week developed yet another water infection. Went to the doctor who gave me trimethoprim, I obviously questionned this but he assured me my previous admittance to hospital was nothing to do with taking it.

Now I have been with my GP since I was a child and trust him. I was a little uneasy about taking it again but had been convinced it would be fine. I took my first one and text my husband just in case. 20 minutes after taking it I started to feel sick, then my vision went, everything was blurred. I knew then that it must be the start of an allergic reaction, I called my GP and spoke to my own doctor.He amazingly said give it half an hour and if there was no improvement to go to the surgery.

I had some different symptoms this time, blurred vision, horrific leg cramps, and vomitting.

I arrived at the surgery, was seen by my GP, I told him that I was having a allergic reaction but even then he was saying no it wasn't trimethoprim. He sent me home. Within 20 minutes of arriving home I was rushed into hospital and put on morphine. I was told that due to the severe allergic reaction I had aseptic meningitus!!!. When I was discharged it was clearly written that under no circumstances am I ever to be given that drug again!

4 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Thank you, your post was very interesting to me. I also suffered side effects.
  • Posted

I have had severe reactions to trimethoprim twice.  Doctors seem quite adamant that this drug couldn't have caused the reaction but, having read posts on a number of forums describing similar adverse reactions to this drug, I cannot for the life of me understand why.  It seems that experiencing a reaction to this drug is practically commonplace.  
    • Posted

My GP was adamant that my reaction was nothing to do with the trimethoprim. I've seen 3 GPs at my surgery; 2 when I was experiencing the symptoms whilst on trimethoprim and extremely ill with it. The first told me I just needed to drink more water, as my muscles were dehydrated (causing the cramp), the second told me that I just had a bad back (despite no history of back problems) and the sciatica had absolutely  nothing to do with the trimethoprim!

Considering that there's research dating back to the 70's about Trimethoprim causing aseptic meningitis and other reactions, you'd think that the side effects would be more widely-known across the medical profession...

• Posted

The treatment of Trimethoprim was a terribly diagnoses given twice ongoing, with you, unwittingly, suffering so much with a bad reaction and pain. Surprisingly, you were rushed into hospital, with the analysis that you strongly reacted to Trimethopin and then ended up with 'aseptic meningitus' given clearly written instruction that under no circumstance (you) are ever to be given that drug again.  I hope all went well and my sincere thoughts go with you at this special time in your life. Mary 
  • Posted

Thanks you for your post and the other people who posted.  I also was prescribed Trimethopram for a urinary infection and came out in a rash 2 days after taking the last tablet. I am allergic to Augmentin and all penicillns and have Stevens Johnson Syndrome.  I always mention this at any medica encounter - doctor,dentist,hospital.  Sadly my doctor who knows my entire history is now practice manager so I see nurses or other doctors.  My allergic reaction was a surprise to me.  I noticed a widespread rash on my upper thighs and tummy on gettign ready for bed late on Friday night and a slight sore throat.  At first I thought I might have measles or German measles.  I rang NHS Direct - they wanted me to g to A&E but I didn't feel unwell and knew this wasn't a full blown reaction.  So they arranged for me to see a doctor in the morning and I then googled and after some blind alleys I found these posts.  As soon as I read the descritpions I knew that was what I had.  Fortunately the rash isn't too itchy although it spread by the morning to the back of my legs, my back and arms, and I took some piriton straght away and then again in the morning.  The doctor confirmed my suspicion and said continue to take piriton.  Having had Stevens Johnson Syndrome my sympathy goes out to those who have had more severe reactions.
  • Posted

I was rushed into hospital with the same thing on trimethoprim, i also can't take metronidazole. I visited my gp today and been told i now have to wait&see a allergy nurse and receive a epipen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.