Severe anxiety and burning arms and face

Posted , 5 users are following.

I feel like I'm going crazysad I have severe anxiety and my arms and face have a burning sensation. I started taking sertraline 2.5 weeks ago 25 mg and just increased to 50 mg 4 days ago. Since I increased my anxiety is really bad again. I was starting to not have as much anxiety with the 25 mg after 2 weeks accept the mornings are always really bad and my appetite was getting a little better. Since I increased the dose I have no appetite and my anxiety is really bad again. I am always tensed and can't stop. My shoulder especially the right one is always up to my chin and tensed it feels normal to me. Does anyone get burning arms and face wih anxiety and severe tension?? I can't cope anymore i thought i was starting to get better and now I am back to the beginning again. I need reassurance please sad

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I found sertraline did me no good at all, maybe speak to your GP and ask to be put on another antidepressent? I got moved to a new one that works better now, the thing is with me is the more i panic and worry the more anxious i get 
    • Posted

That is the same with me. Its the physical symptoms that really set me off. If I didnt have them I could deal with this better. Right now my shoulder is so tense it's making my arm weak. I can't relax I hold it up and tense all day and it feels normal to me. So I keep thinking I have some serious neurological disease. I can't cope. What are you on now?
    • Posted

The physical symptoms were so bad my GP put me on venlafaxine alongside diazepam for the anxiety. The best thing to do if the physical pain is that bad is to go to your doctor and explain how you feel, thats what they are paid to do, rather than throw tablets at you they need to know exactly whats going on and how you feel. 
    • Posted

I have been to the hospital a few times and my dr. and they all tell me it's anxiety and gave me sertraline and lorazepam. My anxiety was better then it was after a week on sertraline 25 mg but since the dr increased my dose to 50mg 4 days ago my anxiety is really bad again along with the physical symtpoms bc I am do tensed from the anxiety. It's a viscous circle and I just want to be better it's been 2 months and I can't handle anymoresad
    • Posted

I know its hard but you need to stick with things, fight back, do things that make you calm, like a movie or tv show or play a game. Things will settle down with the right medication xx
  • Posted

Hi Tracy,

I get burning arms with anxiety too. I just started citalopram 2 weeks ago, second time I have been on them. I don't have any experience with stertraline, but I think side effects are pretty much the same for most meds and you do feel a bit crappy when you up the dose. Give it a few days and if it doesn't settle go back and speak to your GP.

And thinking that you are going crazy is a very common side effect of anxiety, unfortunately 😏 I am convincing myself every day that I am quite sane x x x

• Posted

Do you tense your shoulders and arms too? My shoulder has been tensed up all day and now it's really bothering me. I don't even realize it feels normal to me. Its constant and I can't relax
    • Posted

Hi Tracy, no I don't get tense shoulders as much, really tight chest and just generally feeling like I might just stop functioning because of the sheer amount of stress my body is under.

It's a constant battle in my head...😏 I just keep telling myself it's the anxiety, nothing more, nothing less. I find distraction is a massive help. I do Google too much as sometimes that does nothing but make me feel worse. I am holding out for the meds making a real difference...and getting back to a happy place...stick with it. If you want you can add me on messenger, it's nice to know you aren't alone 😊 x x

• Posted

Don't give up or into to it.You got this far and you can get further.I had unbearable anxiety a few years ago that lasted what i thought was an age.I would go to work and all the way there, 10 minute walk, the blood would drain from my face, i would start to shake and sweat, i would struggle to breathe, start to panic,etc etc, but 15 years down the line my anxiety is somewhat under control.Although it has been replaced with depression i find anxiety not controlling my life like it used to.My only defence was to dig my heels in and refuse to let anxiety rule my life and sometimes that would mean making myself go out and put myself in situations that would bring on my panic and anxiety.I think i tried to burn out it's affects by constantely triggering it.Maybe i was just lucky or i hit the nail on the head,so to speak.I am a determind person and as a virgo,doggedly stubborn.razz so if i was going to go down, i was gonna give it a fight.

having had the condition which eventually led to me dumping the job, i made a conscious decision to ditch all things i was unhappy with in my life.A sort of clear-out, and try to fight back.It worked on that part of my life but my depression led to a nervous/mental breakdown, which kicked the sh*t out of me for 15 years.

Stick with it my dear and as i said you can fight back and get to the stage you so deserve.

Don't let it win.

PS. this also is for all you others who are suffering as well.

Best regards

YOD.

• Posted

Yes I am sure I definitely had a nervous breakdown. Things have been really bad for the last 2.5 almost 3 months. I haven't left the house or barely got out of bed. I have all kinds of physical symtpoms and they send me into a panic. I can't cope.
  • Posted

I am getting burning arms with excessive sweating in my body while day
  • Posted

Hi Tracy,  I am both a patient and have worked in mental health for many years.

First of all, excuse me if I state the obvious and say to go back to your doctor and explain how you feel as soon as you can. 

Secondly, I would like to reassure you. Sertraline and other SSRI's (Selective Serotinin Reuptake Inhibitors) can make you feel worse before you feel better for a few weeks - this applies to both starting on them and increasing the dose. HOWEVER - and HERE'S THE GOOD BIT! - If you ask your doctor for a few weeks supply of benzodiazapine to get you through this adjustment to the new dose that will keep your anxiey down.  It may be that your Dr will suggest another remedy of course but do ask. I can assure you that it is well known - not always amongst GPs but certainly among psychiatrists - that SSRIs such as Sertraline make anxiety worse both initially and if the dose is increased. It's not just my opinion.

I sympathise Tracy-I've been there. Your not going crazy. See the doc for that short - term course of benzodiazapines. Best Wishes love.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.