Severe Back Pain while/after sleeping

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 20 years old and I'm having SEVERE back pain. It's been going on for about 3 months. I don't have insurance so I can't see a doctor right now. Don't have the insurance or money to do so. It started waking up one morning and it wasn't as severe. I didn't fall or do anything out of the ordinary that I think would do anything to my back. It's mostly in the middle of my back. and wraps around my back rib cage. Now, it has spread to my lumbar/lower back and into both sides of my hips. I've literally tried everything. I've changed the way I've slept (pillow between legs, flipped mattess, sleeping with one pillow instead of two), taking ibuprofen, stretching, exercise, massage, icyhot. Nothing has helped. It starts during the night and when I wake up i can barely move my back. Taking a deep breath HURTS. Feels like there is a ton of tension in my back. I haven't gone to the chiropractor bcz thinking of anyone doing anything to my back makes me hurt. The massage made me feel even more worse the next day. I can't sit for long either bcz my tailbone starts hurting. Like I've bruised it or something but my back pain was first then a month or two after the tailbone pain started happening. Once I get off of it for sitting down it feels numb like a warm tingly sensation. The pain used to stop after about 15 minutes of being out of the bed from waking up and moving around and it was fine. Now my back pain radiates throughout the day. I need help! Anything would help! I'm feel hopeless against this pain. Please help..

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately we're not Doctors on here, that's the best place for you to be. No public health care where you are??

For what it's worth, it sounds muscular. However, when your back muscles spasm or become tense they tend to be protecting something else. That's why it needs investigated.

• Posted

Hello, You do need a diagnosis to be able to get the right treatment. I understand that you cannot afford to at the moment. In the meantime try some gentle stretching exercises. Only sit for short periods then walk a little. It's difficult to try and help without knowing the cause of your back pain. You may have a trapped nerve or slipped a disc. I have suffered a back problem for 20 years thou mine is Arthritis. I hope you soon get a diagnosis. 

• Posted

USA?

You may have slipped a disc or have a nerve compression....either way you are going to have to bite the bullet. We can give you support, we can explain blood work, disgnosis, share similar experience but we can not diagnose.

Aren't you required to carry insurance in the USA...don't you have to submit proof of health insurance with your fedetal tax return or am I thinking of a different country...

• Posted

As others have said we're not doctors but I get the same symptoms as you and I have slipped disk

• Posted

I'm really sorry that you're having such terrible back problems. I've been suffering from back problems for 10 years and I really hope that yours doesn't last long but I've got to tell you it doesn't sound good to me. And with you not having insurance that's a bad thing. Fortunately right now insurance companies cannot turn you down like they could me when I hurt my back and didn't have insurance.

All that being said the only way you're going to help yourself is to get seen by a doctor. The reason why your massage didn't work is because when you have a back problem laying on your stomach aggravates the back. And as for sitting I can't sit either for more than about an hour and I use a cushion. Typically I just use the kind of cushion you can buy at Walmart that you would put on a kitchen chair those work just fine for me but you can spend a little extra money and buy these special pillows that have it cut out at the back so that your coxal does not rest on anything. That will help you're sitting problem.

Finally I would recommend you use either heat or ice. It really doesn't matter according to my physical therapist. It's whatever works for you. And take some kind of anti-inflammatory such as Motrin Advil Aleve any of those types of drugs will help with your back.

You might also get something called Biofreeze. It seems to be the go to with most therapist for rubbing into sore muscles. Personally I've only had it used on me one time but that one time it felt really good. I don't believe you can buy it in stores. I think the only place to get it would be at physical therapist offices where they'll sell it to you or pain management doctor offices.

But everything I've mentioned is nothing but a stopgap until you can see a doctor. You really do need to see a doctor though. Good luck with all of this and I hope for your sake that this is not a permanent problem for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.