Severe belching, flatulence, diarrhea, stomach pain for weeks

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm desperate for some help.

I was diagnosed with ibs about 5 years ago, biggest issue was cramping after eating which was relieved with a bowel movement. FODMAP diet and mezavant allowed me to get my ibs under control - things were pretty good.

Then I was diagnosed with a chronic anal fissure in September - I have never been in such hellish pain. I had a colonoscopy (all clear!) in late November and began to improve shortly after, avoiding surgery.

Soon after my colonoscopy, I began developing lots of gas and some diarrhea - I would belch every second for an hour or two during the day.

Since the beginning of December this has only become worse - I belch or pass gass all day, almost every second, explosively. I have severe stomach cramps and pain that have sent me to the ER twice. I have very bad diarrhea everyday. This is causing the fissure to act up again. I also often see strings of white or brown "mucous" when I have a bowel movement.

Ova and parasite and other stool tests have all been negative - but I suspect a parasite or giardia. On my suspicions, my doctor prescribed me flagyl for a 10 day course (I'm on the 4th day and no improvement). I cannot get in to see a gastroenterologist despite the fact that I am already a patient. The emergency room sends me home with buscopan and tells me to see a gastro.

My diet consists of gluten free bread, bananas, a little peanut butter, maybe some oats. I've been diagnosed with ibs in the past and these have always been safe foods for me. I've never had these symptoms to this degree with ibs, especially the diarrhea.

Anybody have a similar experience? I need some help - I've lost my job, had to quit school in the middle of master's degree, have gone from extremely fit (working out 6 days a week, weightlifting and running - I was a personal trainer) to sitting on the couch or in bed all day because I'm in so much pain. This has also caused a break up between my boyfriend of three years and I. I need relief

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Forgot to mention - during the fissure pain I was taking morphine and then naproxen as I felt better...haven't taken either for over a month.

• Posted

You mention a Fissure, they would have sorted that when they had inspected the Colon, you were given Morphine and Naproxin for pain and inflamation. Did they find more than one fissure or do you think, there may be damage done when you had the examination

BOB

• Posted

There was one healed fissure and another that was quite bad but was showing signs of improvement. No chron's or inflammation in the colon - believed that the fissures were merely from frequent bowel movements (but not loose bms) with ibs.

• Posted

They may have closed the fissure when they checked you, sometimes they do not say. It may be a good idea to have your condition reappraised.

BOB

• Posted

Meant to reply directly to your comment - see my last comment for my reply!
  • Posted

Thanks for your advice Bob,

I know for a fact that they did not do anything for the fissure during the colonoscopy, my gastro believes that the colonoscopy prep (only liquid stools and then nothing for two days) allowed me to heal. Post colonoscopy I was booked for Lateral internal sphincteronomy surgery but it was cancelled because I was showing signs of improvement.

The fissure is not my main issue - it is this crazy bug/intestinal/stomach issue with the gas and diarrhea that is now ruining my life

• Posted

So sorry dear. Try a potent multistrain probiotic supplement

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.