Severe bilateral knee pain for past 14 days - HELP!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I'm new to this site but joined the knee pain group hoping to find some suggestions/answers. I went jogging for the first time in years (and I currently am 6'4" 290 pounds - about 70 pounds overweight) and actually jogged three days in a row. I know, it was stupid of me, I tried going to hard to fast with my exercise - I know I need to walk first - what I need help with is that immediately after those three days of running I actually was able to work and stand all day. After about three days after the running my knees entered into so much pain I can barely walk - that was two weeks ago and I am still sitting here suffereing in mind numbing pain. I went to the ER twice (as I don't have a GP here) and they gave me an antiinflammatory and now a steroid pack - yet I am still in so much pain, like to the point of tears - in both knees. The pain is almost a burning sensation in knee that can radiate to my shin and/or my thigh..I ice it regularly throughout day as thats only relief I get - I have no narcotic pain meds and can't take any as I was an opiate addict in past - but I am in literally so much pain that I've considered going back out to find some street opiates to handle this pain - The pain hurts more after I walk up/down the stairs in my house and I can barely manage that its so painful to walk..it almost seems its gotten worse over past two weeks..I'm trying to get an apt with an ortho doc to get an MRI as I'm afriad I tore the ligaments in both knees - I have no history of knee problems and this is the worst! I am in pain even when I lay down, I can barely walk and I'm feeling hopeless about this because the pain hasn't subsited after two full weeks. Any suggestions are highly appreicated thank you in advance. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Oh my gosh, this sounds horrible Michael. You didn't mention your age, which could be adding to the problem. Were you wearing good running shoes - crucial for any jogging. With the excess weight, you really jarred your bones. I don't know much about this (though it was from years of running on steel decks with bad shoes that got me to where I landed) but I don know about bilateral Total Knee Replacement. I can't help but wonder if it's a bruising to your bone that's causing the pain. Why it took so long to show up, I have no idea. Definitely getting some x-rays or MRI done so you can see what may or may  not be going on is a good idea. For relief, lots of ice and maybe sleeping with a pillow under your knees - if you sleep on your back, or between your legs if you sleep on your side. Can you take an over the counter anti-inflamatory? Voltaren Get is a prescription topical gel that really helps with pain. Don't go find some street drugs! You've won that battle and don't want to go down that road again! I hope some of this helps.

• Posted

Hi thank you very much for your response - I'm praying it does not require bilateral knee surgery...well I've called the ortho doc and will get in as soon as they can see me..I'm 35 but have put a lot of weight on this past year so really did a number on my knees, so mad at myself currently and in absolute pain - started the corticosteroids they gave me at ER today, hoping that helps a little at least - thanks for the tips, will try pillow as you said when I sleep, sure that will help too.

• Posted

Oh and no I wasn't using good running shoes, just some sneakers that in retrospect I shouldn't have tried jogging with

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.