Severe bloating

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all STILL waiting for my appointment to even get in the system for my gallbladder and its multiple stones.

Despite working with a dietician and naturopath and trying everything in the meantime, I am down to a tiny bit of coconut yogurt, not often with 3 nuts and blueberries ( dont tolerate dairy)  but cannot have this more than a few days or GERD returns and chicken with a tiny bit of rice and cooked veg, thats about it. My symptoms are mainly IBS and reflux and being diagnosed with GERD led them to my gallbladder eventually. Its full of mobile stones upto 1.5 cm.

I have lost 13kg so far since October. 

Bloat is my new symptom and has been come ALL the time, when I eat. I went out for lunch with my friend and had a burger on half a gluten free bun and sweet potato fries,  as I have been able to tolerate  this so far as long as its not more than once every 2-3 weeks or so, havent had it in ages and 30 mins later bloat, but so severe my stomach hurt and swelled and I ate it at 12.40 lunch time, couldnt eat dinner that evening as so bloated and full and was still the same by 11.30pm, woke this morning and although bloat has eased my stomach is full of gas and feels still full!

Do I need to get this rechecked? I appear to be getting worse, despite trying everything sad 

Even a cup of tea leaves me full

I have very little pain other than stomach ache with the bloating, do get niggly cramps under my rib but this isnt always and more annoying than anything and only had one attack under rib like a knife stuck,  since being diagnosed and that was with 2 lamb sausages at Xmas. I have been told to go straight to hospital if I get a severe attack with pain, so although the bloat isnt comfortable and hurts, it isnt a knife pain which would lead me to emergency!

Is bloating a normal progression as its causing me so much issues, I dread eating even more now and even drinking a full cup of tea leaves me full, its getting me down.

2 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Better to get another opinion especially since you ahem done all you can.

• Posted

I have rebooked the Dr today, to see if there is anything she can do too hurry this. I also have a specalist for my Castlemans disease and she is not happy I am on the lowest cat and could be waiting 12 mths, so has refered me internally too, to the hopsital gastro, that was in Jan, she has me booked back in end of March and if I havent heard she will be finding out why.
  • Posted

HI, Star,

My last reply got moderated.  Have you tried probiotics?

• Posted

yes already on probiotics from the naturopath as well as taking kefir and sauerkraut, also digestive enzymes and lots of support for my liver and gallbladder.
  • Posted

Hi star42 I feel your pain completely. I have been hospitalised twice in the last 2 months and only just today been discharged from my second admission. I was only diagnosed 7th of January and was told 3-5 month for surgery. Luckily, my trip to the hospital due to a severe attack leading to acute cholecystitis, I had my appointment brought forward to the 28th Feb next week. The bloating is absolutely normal and yes agreed extremely uncomfortable. I have felt the exact same but along with the excruciating pain from the actual gallbladder. Also diagnosed with multiple stones one measuring 2.3cm, I have had 2 severe infections. I have been given buscopan which helps with pain and bloating and also settles the gallbladder contracting so much every time you eat. The idea is have a complete fat free diet so that the gallbladder doesn't need to produce so much bile to break down the fat. You probably already know that anyway. I'd get onto the drs again or if you have to take a trip to a&e and if you have to, exaggerate a little it will be the only way to rush this up for you. If I'd have known before my problem was gallstones I'd have done just that as I've been suffering for almost 2 years without being diagnosed. Only because of the severity mine got too I've been given a quick appointment. I can't help other than that. It definitely try buscopan. Also try and get to your gp to get some stomach lining tablets. I'm on omeperazole. It's not a very nice thing to deal with at all and I can sympothise completely. Wishing you all for the best In the mean time definitely get back to the drs and demand them to help you. Don't suffer just because they are dragging their heels. Thinking of You xx

• Posted

thank you, I have been placed on cat 3, which is 12 mths wait just to see the specalsit, but my dr only put pain and stones found, which I had very little pain and was the least of my issues! My specalist for my rare disorder is not happy and said I should of been cat 2 and is trying to get me in the hospital gastro quicker, back in March as she wants too see if I have heard anything. booked the Dr again today to see if she can hurry anything up!
    • Posted

Totally agree with Sonia. My husband is having to wait 16 weeks on NHS for op, and he suffers bloating ,griping pains and a feeling of a fist in his back on right side. It's trial and error with the diet as sometimes he will eat something and he is fine, but then next time when eating same thing it brings on an attack. I also think stress plays a part , as I notice that when he goes to work(stressful job) he tends to worry hours before he's due to go in, and he gets tummy ache and bloating.

Belinda UK

• Posted

It's a functional disorder of the digestive system. In my case it was misdiagnosed as IBS until my gut stopped working altogerther for a couple of weeks and in the end nothing would go in or out. At that point it was an emergency and was finally diagnosed as gallstones and they operated.

So yes, it can stop your digestion altogether and you are unable to process anything. Don't waste your time trying to regulate your digestion or trying to find food you can eat. There's little point shoving food down there when it's not going to go anywhere. Laxatives, probiotics, teas etc... none of these will fix this. Chances are you haven't even got IBS... just the symptoms. Get into hospital and tell them you can't eat anymore.

Note that this is my opinion based solely on your message and my own experience, and I wish someone had told me this long before I ended up in A&E.

• Posted

Yes mine was originally diagnosed as IBS, then GERD and then I kept going in as no reflux meds worked and gallstones found. they do think that gallstones are causing both the other issues as my mum and cousins were exactly the same with same issues, but they also had many attacks with pain, which I dont seem to get.

My symptoms are increasing and this bloat is horrible.

• Posted

Hi star I hope you are well. I just wanted to let you know that after gavin admitted into hospital again over the weekend the drs decided to bring my op forwArd. I had the surgery done yesterday and I'm not going to lie but I was absolutely petrified. I have seen nothing but good results from people who have had their gallbladder removed. The diarreah side of things, I can't speak for everyone but I have had that quite bad since this morning. No stomach pains just very loose stools. I'm hoping it's temporary from meds and surgery. You really need to push this with the drs. The recovery process does take a while but will benefit you in the long run. I am keeping a daily diary of post op and hope to upload it on here soon. I am currently laid up and resting but waiting this long is most definitely not acceptable. Please keep on at the drs or just go to the hospital you don't need to suffer like this. I have been extremely lucky although it has taken almost 2 years for a diagnosis, I finally got one on the 7th of January and surgery yesterday. However, I did end up with acute cholecystitis which can become quite fatal so maybe that's why but keep on at them. Don't let them fob you off.

• Posted

hI sONIA, OH WOW, HOPE YOUR ok, WISHING YOU A COMPLETE RECOVERY AND SWIFT HEALING XXXXXX 

whoops new keyboard and keep hitting caps!

My dr said little she can do, so she is glad my specalist in the hopsital has also refered me internally, as she said I should of been cat 2 not 3, she said I should get seen quicker with her doing that.

I am to go straight in if in any pain, sadly thats been my least symptom of all, except at xmas.

So I wait! I am glad you have been sorted and hopefully you will be all good smile

• Posted

thanks all. I am so over all this but at the same time terrified of surgery after all the issues I read about and worrying I will end up worse than I am now! Other forums are the same, so mnay with chronic dioorhea, unable to eat and in pain afterwards but I have to try and remember that I already have a lot of issues now anyway and it isnt great now.
    • Posted

Most people have no problems after surgery and never think to find somewhere to post about it. The forums are mainly attended by those who have ongoing problems. I've only been hanging around here to try and stop a few others going through what i went through... i.e. a misdiagnosis and then wasting time and suffering pain trying to avoid the attacks when the correct solution was the surgery. 

The surgery is the easiest thing you'll ever do. It's nothing.

• Posted

Hi Star... are you in UK? I went to my GP in November - I've seen a consultant in hospital just before Xmas and I've got my pre-op booked for this Thursday... don't know why you are waiting so long? Good luck hope you get somewhere this afternoon..

• Posted

No Australia, I am from the Uk but been living here for 8 yrs now.

We dont have private health, so I am based as Cat 3 which is a wait of upto 12 ths just to see the specalist! unless of course I get sick and in pain and present too emergency.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.