severe calf pains after walk due to statins ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

Iam 33 years old, my fitness is good 75 kg. have familial high ldl taking lipitor 20 mg since 5 years

I had not noticed muscle pains at rest during all this time while on the med.

last month I went for a walk which i perform once in a week. but this time the Doms started after 2 days were too severe and instead of getting better with time it got worst until I can hardly walk. the pain was in both calfs,all the calfs were sore and pain if you touch with your finger

Went to an orthopedic put me on antibiotic, antiinflamation muscle relexant and pain killers, b12 shots. the recovery was too slow when i stand for 5 min the pain starts again.

now after 1 month I got better but still feels the pain for fast walk, the doctor didn't mention anything about statin but yesterday the pharmacist pointed out this to me and advised for coq10 whcih i started immediatly.

could this related be to statin medication ?

I don't know if coq10 will help, but what is the alternative? if I stopped the med. my ldl will shoot above 300!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

This could very well be due to the statins, especially as you've been taking them for so long.   The only way to tell is to go off them for a week and see what happens, but this won't help if you've contracted permanent muscle damage, which is one of the negative effects of statin use.

Personally, I found the side effects of statins (every type and every dosage) too hard to live with so I've been off them since last year and would rather risk another hearth attack thanthe way they were ruining my life.

You do know there's some  evidence so-called "high" cholesterol may have nothing to do with heart attacks and strokes?    Your gp is very ignorant if s/he doesn't know the negative effects of statins:  they're very well documented, even in the manufactuers' own leaflets & websites.

I'd be doing some research if I were you and then deciding if you want to keep taking them.  My cholesterol levels are slowly coming down without statins:  I take 3 tsp of Psyllium Husks most mornings in my porridge, which is supposed to lower cholesterol.   You do have to be careful to have it in liquid because it expands and taken dry it can swell up in your throat or gullet and cause serious problems.  Apart from that it seems to be quite safe with none of the negative effects of statins

• Posted

CQ10 has helped me baso. I don't know what country you are in but you could google ABC's Catalyst program called heart of the matter on you tube. It was very interesting. I can send you the link if you are interested
    • Posted

So many people stopped taking statins after that program (60,000 I heard on ABC radio the other day) that there's been a huge furore about the program.   Apparently prescriptions have been monitored and some govt authority has estimated up to 5000 people will die of heart attacks or strokes as a result of going off statins.  I'm sure the statin manufacturers are pleased we're being scared into going back on them but it's not working on me.

The ABC was forced to to take it down off its website:  I hadn't thought of checking youtube and see that it's still available there.

I thought the program was overly sensationalistic in its presentation but that's what we get from Catalyst now, it used to be much more measured and responsible, but there was also a lot of truth in it.

I'd already stopped statins before I saw the program because I decided life wasn't worth living when I was on them and I'd rather risk another heart attack.

I'm still taking the CQ10 although not sure I need it now I'm off statins.

• Posted

It's still on the internet you just have to look further for it. It did make me do a lot of research and talk to a lot of people and then I decided to stop taking them. When I told my Dr I was stopping I expected a lecture and all he said was what are your side effects. That confirmed all I needed to know. I saw the program a good 12 months after it aired
    • Posted

Yeah I did find it on youtube, just shows how useless it is for governments to try and ban some things!   It's off the ABC website.

It's scary going of medication which is so highly recommended after a heart attack but I'm takng the risk

• Posted

I'm not into conspiracy theories but, it makes one wonder about drug companies and kick backs etc

I could imagine it is very scary but quality of life also counts

• Posted

I'm not into the vast majority of conspiracy theories either, but that doesn't mean there aren't conspiracies happening!   I can't remember if the Catalyst program covered it, but the level at which "bad" cholesterol is classified as dangerous was lowered considerably by a US committee composed of a majority of representatives of pharmaceutical companies - around the time statins first became available.   Makes you think, eh?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.