Severe cramping has caused anxiety agoraphobia

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anybody else had their life put on hold due to cramping. I used to get foot cramps and calf cramps and could cope... but two years ago i went to stand up and my left thigh went into a massive cramp and my right thigh at the same time... its impossible to try to walk when both are gone. the pain was extreme and after 20 of scalding hot shower water it then went to my calf and then my foot and then my other calf and then my other foot... almost two hours of agony and i was exhusted and just wanted to end it. yes it got that way i was yelling out to god to take me... i was waiting for my heart to go due to the massive anxiety and pain i was in... I managed to get driven to the doctor and he has put me on tablets they use for parkinson desease as it is supposed to stop the brains signal to cramp. COLD WEATHER IS THE WORST. At night when it begins to get cold i feel one coming on and its the worst feeling because if this ever happened again to this extent i  just dont know if i would survive it.  I now have anxiety and this has now caused me to develop agroaphobia as i do not want to leave the house. I wont even go to the doctors as it would require me to leave the house and to have one of these episodes in public would shut me down. I have in the past had foot or calf cramps in public and i went crazy . however the full body two hour episode i can not imagine.  In two years i have left the house about 8 times. I couldnt even go to my nephews wedding or christening..  concerts booked in advance i had to forfeit.   I am the only person who has to wear thick socks and boots in the middle of summer ... even heatwaves ... i have to wear pants boots socks?  How stupid do i look... yes... another reason why i dont go outside.  I have the electric blanket on in summer????   My husband must be pushed to the end with me.... I dont shop... we can not go on holidays.....  I agreed to go away for 4 days recently where i drugged myself up just for the car trip and did not leave the hotel room for the whole time... not even for dinner....IS ANYBODY OUT THERE WHO IS GOING THROUGH A SIMILAR THING AS I FEEL SO ALONE WITH THIS

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

For the last year I have had SEVERE thigh cramps. sometimes with both legs from upper thigh to toes!  and in public.. I even had an attack at the doc office.. they put a dampened wash rag in the microwave for 1 minute (VERY HOT!) put it in a plastic bag and placed it on my thigh.. It took about 15-20 minutes for it to subside, but it worked.. I did, however, get a blister from the heat! a souvenier of the pain. I travel quit a bit and am in the car for 4 hours at a time.. always afraid I will get a camp while on the road. I always feel that I might get a cramp.. it is embarassing, but you have to go on with your life and live it.. A friend of mine told me that her aunts husband used to use a tournaquet.  Placed above the pain, and tightened.. I have yet to try it myself.. but I have it ready to use.. will keep the forum updated..  Good luck and I KNOW YOUR PAIN!!! 
    • Posted

Hi Sharon its kaye... thank you for your message... to know that others know what I am going through helps so much... My family and friends try to understand but unless you have had this happen it is hard for them to even begin... How did you handle not yelling in pain in the surgery??  Every day i drink one bottle of tonic water throughout the day with a 300mg of bio magnesium tablet... although i dont cramp every day it feels like I will???  I feel that if i turn a certain way it goes... right now as im typing my inside of my foot is feeling the sensation like it wants to go on me. I am banging my foot as i type to you to get some kind of circulation... I live in Melbourne Australia and its in the middle of winter here... winter is a nightmare!  I have to heat the house up to soaring temp just to have a shower.. the reason being is that to go from warm to undressing then to a nice hot shower and then to get out of the shower you are back to cold again... i even have a towel in the shower that gets heated up with running hot water before i even get in the shower?? The sensation of standing on a cold floor I dread.  I fully understand the driving part.. My husband bought me a beautiful convertible two years ago just before it happened and it has sat in the drive for the past two years...  it has heated seats to keep my thighs warm but i am figiting and changing seating positions if i even try to drive it....in todays modern science and technology why cant they fix this??? why is this happening??
  • Posted

Hi Kaye, you are up quite late, eh? I see it is 4 am there.. I spend 2 years in Australia in 1966- 1968..in my youth.. I am going to be 70 in Dec... I still have lots of friends in Perth area.. anyway.. it is 11 am Monday morning here... It is summer here in California..  we were at the race track a week ago Saturday and the race team (cars) finally saw the pain I go through.. they were fumbleing as to what to do.. when I told them, they did react and were in horror when I put that HOT HOT HOT rag on my leg.. but it did help with the pain.. and finally i subsided.. I then was waiting all day for the cramp to come back.. Had to climb the grandstand stairs many times, and was very careful NOT to put too much strain on that thigh muscle.. but I also have a very sore, strained right knee.. so It was doubley hard to go up and down stairs.. thankfully it never returned.. but just having the pain took sooooo much out of me... It was also 104 here that day...(40C).. so that didn't help with the exhaustion..  I did not have surgery, but I did yell and screemed and cried.. but my race team was very compasionate, and helpful.    I forgot to say, that with the thigh cramp, I have to sit on the floor (hard surface) with my legs straight out.. I bend forward to stretch the muscles as best I can. If you bend the knee, it will give into the muscle cramp.   My chiropractor suggested I start drinking tonic water also.. I don't drink more than 16 ounces a day.. I do delute it 1/2 and 1/2 with water. I also take Magnesium.  Hot and cold dont seem to be a factor.. I have started keeping a diary of the cramping..  do you keep one too?? it will let you remember what you are doing at the time of the cramp..  What do your doctors say? My chiropractor (whom I have been seeing for over 20 years) says it might be not just muscle it might be nerve activated also. so we are checking that out too..
    • Posted

Hello Sharon..once again lovely to meet yousmile and greetings from Australiasmile  You resided in Aust in 1966.. this is the year i was bornsmile  I have to say how much i commend you on how you do not allow this to beat you... as i am typing to you not i am still hitting my foot to stop this feeling... it may be nerve pain as i have often wondered this...  I remember back in 1991 after the birth of my daughter that i had damage from the birth and they hooked my feet up to these electrodes and as soon as they put some voltage into it... i got up and walked out of the hospital... it is funny i forgot this until now... i could not deal with the sensations it was giving to me just after i had a traumatic birth.. i actually asked them to pull them off and i went home... i was in tears... so maybe i do have some never damage??  As you were mentioning the stairs at the race track... i could almost feel what you would have endured. I have stairs at home and take it one leg at a time due to not wanting to strain the muscle and causing a cramp. Once again Sharon i commend you... a true inspirationsmile   I think the hot towel works on the same principle as what i used to do for foot only cramps... fill up the mop bucket with the hottest water i could without scalding myself and putting my foot in there... Which brings me to my next question... if the heat from a towel or hot water helps...then it must be a circulation problem??  The heat pumps the blood quicker perhaps??  If it is okay to ask can you please let me know your results on the nerve tests???  I do not leave the house now to see a doctor so this is the first step to finding out for me.  When it first happend he put me on the tablets for parkinsons and i still have the packet as i only take one if i absolutely have to as i know i wont leave the house to fill the script back up... I really am interested in what you find... knowing you have also had multiple cramps at the same time like myself helps to feel there must be others that know this dreaded pain and gives me hope that somebody will have an answer on how this is caused and how to fix it so we can all live a happy cramp stress free lifesmile  please stay in touch. God bless Sharon and thank you from the bottom of my heartsmile
  • Posted

I am dealing with this leg pain the best I can.. 10 years ago I had Poly Myalgia Rheumatica which hits mostly women approaching 60, I was 59.. so that pain was horrible... had to be on Prednisone for 8 months and gained 60 #(27.215 stone), I did not walk, I waddled. but that was a constant.. not a when it happens it happens pain.. so I thoroughly enjoy the time between pains of the thigh cramps. smile I haven't had the nerves checked as yet.. I am still waiting for some word from my chiropractor.. I see him on this Thursday. If anything is a resolution, I will pass it on.  smile The birth you mentioned could very well be part of your problem.. You should make an effort to see a neurologist about that.. surely you have someone who can help you get there, eh?  I think it would be worth checking off suggestions.. maybe they will help, but certainly NOT doing anythng will not help resolve the problem.  Now, I certainly understand your fear of leaving the house because the pain could happen at any time.. but you HAVE to be brave and get a friend to take you to the doc.. OR maybe you can see if an ambulance could get you there, just a suggestion.. but doing nothing is limiting your quality of life.. You are young.. don't let your life go by just because you are fearful of it happening.. Do you do any kind of exercising?  even walking 30 minutes a day..work those muscles.. strengthen them.. I walked 60 minutes yesterday and 30 so far today.. going to do another 30 after lunch.  At your own pace.. don't push it too hard, especially at first...If nothing else it will make you feel better about what you accomplished.. smile Let me know how you do on this.. Please give it a try... smile  As I find things out, I will certainly let you know.. and don't forget to keep a diary of what you are doing before they start, how long they last and how bad they are. smile
  • Posted

Hi Kayelene I completely sympathise with you, it is terrifying. I have not had another for 2 months since drinking 1 litre of diet tonic water a day, I also have some quinine tabs off my doc. I have only taken 2 so far, and started to get twinges last weekend so I pushed my finger as hard as I could into the muscle and it seemed to stop it. But I live alone and always have the door locked in the evening which is when the attacks occur. So I cannot get to the door if I rang 999!!!. Both my thighs went once and I wanted to die with the pain. I just don't know what I would do if it went while I was out or driving. Fingers crossed it is only happening evening time when I have relaxed. I have noticed when I climb a lot of stairs during the day it is a common factor. When it does go it also goes up into my stomach and locks me bent over, I cry and scream with the pain. I am also relieved there are more people having the same attacks (obviously not for the pain) but you do feel like it can't be a common occurrence.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Hello Roseysmile  Thank you for your reply... Yes the double thigh cramp is a real winner isn't it...Not...  If you get one cramp you can try to walk it out but if both are gone at the same time...

Its like being sentenced to hell and back.  My life has become a living loss... my family around me I think have tried to be patient with me but I think that's taking its toll as well. I finally got the car I always wanted to have and its sat in my driveway for nearly two years now...  I am relieved to see you are still driving and going outside etc... please don't ever let it get to my stage when the fear of it happening again in public is greater than living life and enjoying everyday things in lifesmile 

I also drink the litre of tonic water and take the magnesium tablets... here in Australia they have taken quinine off the drug list and you can no longer buy it due to the side effects and how it can be fatal for some... so the only way to obtain it is through the tonic water.  It happens more at night for me as well... and I think climbing the stairs gets your muscles going and is good for most but for us its to our detriment.  The cold makes it worse and I have to have a towel in my shower to stand on and run hot water on it before I hop into the shower as the sensation of the shower base or cold tiles trigger a foot cramp. Then when I get out of the shower I have to first put thick socks on and then to get dressed is hard just in case I move my leg the wrong way and it sets it off...????    Never again can I wear sandals or strappy shoes.. not even in summer... I am at the point that I cant get any lower with the agoraphobia and I am going to have to get to a doctor some how and get help...    Until now I have felt like it must be all in my head and nobody understood the fear of the pain severe cramping is like... so I am also glad people like yourself have come on and told me they know what I am feeling although I wish nobody would have to endure this type of pain.. but knowing im not the only one gives me courage to fix this.  In regards to if you required medical help at night and having the doors locked..... boy do I know what you are feeling ... you have to make your home like a fortress for safety when at home but at the same time what if we are locked in and nobody can help us.... I understand you fullysmile

• Posted

This is a reply to Kayelene and Rosey.. Sooooo sorry you both have the lovely thigh pain.  Yes. double legs at once is a real joy.  My cramps have occured day or night, hot or cold, stairs or no stairs.. Thank goodness never in the car yet.. but when I drive, I look ahead as to where I might be able to stop, should I get a cramp.. places that have a microwave.. I always carry my own hand towel and plastic bag or and the tournequet.. haven't used it yet, but looking forward to trying it... as I said before a friends uncle used it for his leg cramps.. We don't know if they were the same or as intense, but worth a try..  We are going to be in the heat 102 today at the race track. so lots of people around, but it happened there 2 weeks ago.. got my fingers crossed it won't happen today. 

I talked to my chiropractor on Thursday and he heard me say about the 'electrical shock' that goes from the cramp up my thigh to my lower back... Well he sent me directly over to get an xray. he is thinking there is a pinched nerve.. I have been shrinking with age.. lost about 1-1/2 inches. so that might be the problem.. He will be on vacation this coming week, so Tuesday the following week I will see him.. I am hoping there is something visible and that it is an easy fix.. Will keep all informed...  Hope you both have a good pain free day.. It is good to know you are not the only one going through this HORRIBLE pain.!!! 

• Posted

Hello Sharon its Kaye againsmile  I must have esp .... i was wondering if you were going back to the race track... So today is another big test for you .... are you able to get visibility without going up the grandstand just to avoid it ... just in case... I know when this happens in public how bad it is....  I dont think i mentioned last time we spoke my first attack was peak hour in the city on a Friday night... it hit me and i fell to the floor and yelling in pain and people walked on by thinking i was not 100% mentally...or that i was a drunk.. and other times it has happened in public when people are asking are you okay.. are you okay... as much as they are trying to be helpful... when in that much pain you have to focus on getting rid of it and trying to control the pain... It takes everything out of  you.... so i will say a prayer for  you today that you have a wonderful cramp free day and enjoy yourselfbiggrin
    • Posted

thank you for thinking of me today... Yes there is shade in the grandstand, but I usually sit by the exit gate, because I like to yell and scream, and don't have to be careful who else is there.. I might make people of other drivers mad, so it is best that I stay away from the general population.hehe.  It is just much more fun that way..  when it happened at the track 2 weeks ago, nobody knew what to do for me..and they were my own team.. I was able to utter a couple of words and they jumped into action.. got the hot rag and on my leg and me down on the ground in less than 3-5 minutes.. wasn't really paying close attention... sometimes you just have to force yourself to get words out. Or carry a paper that says what is happening and what can be done.. I think that is what I am going to make up for myself. have it at the ready whenever you go out...   thank you again for thinking of me.. Have a wonderful day... 
  • Posted

Hi kayelene, sorry that you have so much pain, they say that the majority of people are so short of magnesium, I used to get calf cramps but cured them with magnesium citrate 500mgs twice a day, beware that other types of magnesium aren't absorbed in the body the same .

hope this helps,  Chasser

• Posted

Hi Chasser its kaye... thanks for your kind thoughtssmile  I am in Australia and i just looked up what stock we have here but there are many brands of magnesium citrate . which brand do you take pleasesmile   also I wanted to ask if taking 2 x 500mg=1000mg a day if this is good in this high dosage... the only reason im asking is i had kidney cancer about 4 years ago and i am taking magnesium plus other calming tablets etc.. i was concerned if the kidneys filter 1000mg per day... ( plus abottle of tonic water) lol
    • Posted

Hi kay , so sorry that you have other issues as well as the cramps, I think that as long as it's mag citrate any reputable brand will do there are other types of magnesium but the citrate is easily absorbed by the body,there is something called elemental magnesium and even if the bottle says 500mg out of that there is only 80mgs of elemental mag, if you have a good natural knowlageable alternative health adviser in your area I would just check this out, the other type of magnesium may not be quite as usable to your body, but it is one of the most important minerals in the body and muscles that are deprived of magnesium can cramp, massage to may help, a good massager 

ike the thumper or similar can bring blood to the cramped muscles, beetroot juice can open blood vessels and get blood flowing too, sometimes these things can help when drugs don't and there are no side effects, , Chasser

• Posted

Kaylene.  I have suffered with thus fir 15 years as well. Drs don'tknow what to dio.  I am57 yr old healthy active woman, not overweight, not thin...after MUCH reserch (we are on our own here)  I have come up with a "cocktil" that keeps these attacks at bay...

go online and find CARDIOVASCULAR RESEARCH/ MAGNESIUM TAURATE.  YOUR LOCAL HEALTH FOOD STORE MAY HAVE IT. 

YOUMUSY PAIR IT UPWITH A GOOD MULTI VITAMEN! WITH VIT d   i TAKE A DAILY ALIVE, YOU CAN GET AT WALMART.   ANOTHER GOOD ONE IS CALLED MORE...A BIT MORE EXPENSIVE.

take 2 in am   and 2 before bed.  Since these are occuring when you are sitting or laying down...I have come to the conclusion they are occuring in people who are not getting these minerals in our food.  there are NO common factors in the victums,so it is not a lifestyle issue...must be a nutritional issue.    if you will do this I promise you they will STOP or be greatly reduced...feel free to email me directly at [email]jdterrilee@yahoo...I[/email] have gone thru the exact same things.  The pain is SO EXCRUTIATING YOU WANT TO DIE and get it over with!!!!   the mag may havea tendency to give you loose stools...if it does spread them out over the course of the day.   when you feel attak coming on, drinka big glass of water and take 2 more...

WHEN ATTACK OCCURS PRESS AS HARD AS YOU CAN INTO THE EFFECTED MUSCLES...SOMETIMES THAT CAN GET TRICKIE WHEN THEY HIT BOTH AT THE SAME TIME.  BY PRESSING INTO THE MUSCLE YU WILL FEEL THE HARDNESS, BUT IT ALSO WILL STOP THE CRAMPIMG AND THEY CAN NOT GET AS BAD...GIRL FRIEND THIS WILL WORK, TERRI

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.