Severe Daily Breast Pain, Advice needed.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey Everyone,

I've never taken to a forum for my health problems before but due to the lack of assistance by the professionals, i thought I'd seek to see if anyone else is in the position that I am in.

I am a 28 year old woman in good health. Since having my son at the young age of 19, I've had non-cylical breast pain in the right breast. I could have been having this before my pregnancy, but it was so long ago i cant remember.

I have constant daily pain in my right breast with a 19MM fibroadenoma which is apparently quite deep within the breast tissue. The pain I experience is a sharp, burning, intense pain. I have this every day and sometimes its that intense it can stop me from doing whatever it is that I am doing at the time. Although the pain is daily, it does come in waves..like shocks. I liken it to lightening as its so sharp and sudden and it ripples my breast with agony. 

My Great-Grandma passed aged 49 after a battle with breast cancer in her right breast, so did her sister. Her daughter (my grandma) has had BC twice in her left and ended up having the breast removed. The professionals will not consider me for gene testing as they have no information on my mother who is estranged and I have no other female links in my family.

Earlier this year in January, I visited the breast clinic and had an consultation and ultrasound, at the ultrasound I was told I was going to have a FNA, I expressed my concerns as this breast is always in a lot of pain and I was apprhensive about the procedure, I was advised its near painless and we went ahead. The pain I felt during the FNA was excrutiating and unlike anything I have ever felt. The FNA failed as the lump was missed and a few weeks later I had a CNB. The CNB was somewhat easier as the breast was numbed but even the needle going near the lump set off the pain. The numbing didnt last as long as I expected and I was in excrutiating pain and rang the clinic in tears only a couple hours after the procedure. The result was a fibroadenoma and was advised to come back if i have any other changes. 

In September I returned, the pain has got even worse since the biopsys and its at the point of unbearable. I was advised I have another benign lump at the side of my right breast and that I could experience this pain until menopause.

I really need advice on this, its not getting any better and I feel like this is not normal at all. The pain sometimes radiates straight into my nipple, the pain has changed and feels like its been turned up a notch. 

I am considering nerve damage, potentially from the larger lump but I dont know if this can even be confirmed. 

I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and if anything helps to ease the pain. I am considering returning to the breast clinic but not my usual one for a second opinion - I understand this may be pointless but I feel so lost and confused and I dont feel like its satisfactory to live life like this, with the pain getting worse and just being told "Expect it until Menopause".

If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate you sharing with me.

Kindest Regards,

Mel.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Going to a different breast clinic sounds like a very good idea. Or even better perhaps would be to talk with an experienced breast surgeon. It should be possible to surgically excise that fibroadenoma. Alright, that might leave a scar but would that not be better that being in such pain.
  • Posted

Hello

I understand your pain. I suffer from that same pain since August until today. I had the same pain two years ago and said it was fibrous something. It was a cyst now it came back. Every day same pain goes and comes some days harder some days level but pain there never goes. same part right breast. Does it hurt when you lay down?my does alot I am same age but what I have noticed its tha when I gain weight it hurts more .I have put the nexplano has been hurting worst I am waiting to be off until my next appointment. I don't have breast cancer history only colon canc. I just keep holding you do the same. I am having a ultrasound in November to see how its.I always try hot compressor s because. Colds don't work. And primerose oil with vitamin e400 together that seems to heal the pain. Good luck

• Posted

Hello Mel,

I hope you've found some relief by now.  I'd love to know how you're doing.  I'm going to cover a few things here, so please bear with me. smile  Mia2015's suggestion of vitamin E and primrose oil was right on.  I started taking vitamin E years ago for menstrual cramps.  Also during my period I would ache 'down there' feeling like my insides were going fall out, as well as a small patch of what I guess were barely noticeable spider veins on my lower leg.  It would get so hot and painful that I would either have to put on a support wrap, or stay off my feet.  Incredibly vitamin E fixed all that.  It wasn't immediate, but I believe that I had results within a few days.  Even now, 20 years later if I stop taking it the symptoms start to return. It's certainly worth a try! 

Secondly I've always had very dense lumpy breasts.  There was one mass in particular on the R side of the R breast that started getting painful in spite of the years of vitamin E.  I then started taking the evening primrose oil.It didn't seem to help.

Desperate, one day I decided to puncture a capsule of it, and apply directly to the painful area a couple times a day.  Shockingly, it worked. The condition that I had was what they call fibrocystic disease here in the states. 

I did end up getting breast cancer in the spring of this year at 49.  I had a heavy family history as well.  I had genetic testing several years ago and was negative.  The thing about genetic testing is, at this point, they can only test for a very few genes, but are developing more. There are many more genes that may carry it. They just haven't figured out how to test for them yet.  My surgeon and oncologist recommended re-testing in several years when the tests will most likely have expanded.  As far as cancer goes though, your best bet is to stay current on mammograms etc.  I had also had ultrasounds regularly, and an MRI. Supposedly mammograms aren't always real effective for dense breasts.  However, mine was discovered by a mammo.  It was stage 0, and I could never feel it.  Funny, I always had it in my head that the painful mass of cystitis would become cancer, even though they don't normally.

(Side note: Early detection pays off! I truly have pretty much sailed through the ordeal. Because of my family history, I went for a bilateral mastectomy, with immediate reconstruction. No chemo, radiation, nor tamoxifen needed! Yay!)  My plastic surgeon is a bit of a pioneer in skin sparing mastectomy.  I still have my nipples, and you can barely see the incision at the bottom of my breasts. They look great! My docs said I had better results than most. Blessed, I guess.  Anyways I don't have to deal with the cystitis anymore!

In conclusion, whew!  Hopefully you can find a more sympathetic doc, if you haven't already.   A prophylactic mastectomy may not be a bad strategy either.  But I hope you have tried and had some success with Vitamin E, and try applying Evening Primrose Oil topically.

Take care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.