Severe disability premium help

Posted , 3 users are following.

OK I got (IS 10 form in post) for SDP. It was sent back a week ago.I phoned them to see if they got it.its scanned on system.I got DLA award high mobility and middle rate of care on 27/1/2015.my pip starts 28th Dec 2016.man told me I will be getting backdated money.I have £2000 in my ISA and worried that my housing benefit and council tax will get reviewed? It will mean 30 letters in the post with different figured on.I can't deal with it with my health and anxiety the way it is.its nearly 2 years since award of DLA.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Riffer, SDP would be awarded if any of the following criteria apply to you. Claiming Income related benefits, No one is claiming Carers Allowance for you or no other adult lives with you. If any of those apply to you then you should get the SDP. It would be backdated but the ammount you're allowed to have in savings if on Income related benefits is £6000 before it starts affecting your benefits. If you're awarded SDP and it takes you over this limit then there's a 1 year disregard. I wouldn't worry right now if i were you.

• Posted

Thanks for reply.phew its just a worry all this.thanks for telling me the ins and out of this .appreciated
  • Posted

Hi Riffer

SDP has no affect on Housing or Council Tax Benefit. Those benefit’s are worked out using a complicated equation to reach what is known as your 'applicable' amount. As you are in receipt of DLA which attracts a payment of SDP then your applicable amount will be higher than someone who is not in receipt of DLA so everything will be OK.

As Denise said there is a disregard of £6000 before benefit's are affected. Unless your back payment is for more than £4000 (hard to believe) then you are perfectly safe. Even if you went over £6000 the reduction is £1 for every £250's worth of savings over that amount.

Personally I think you have nothing to worry about.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.