severe facial pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

:?: my daughter has been suffering sever facial pain in her right cheek which travels to her lowere jaw and down her neck ,it started all of a sudden on the 5th jan, she has been teated with amytriptyene, diazapam , diclofenic,dihydrocodeine,carbamazapine ,gabapentine,tylex paracetamol, oramorph,and morphine injections,but none of these were touching the pain, she is in hospital now,and has had a ct scan and blood tests,teeth xray,and still no one can trace the pain ,she is 25,has a good job, her own home and car,and now the doctor thinks its phsicological,well we are at the end of our tether, we who know her know it not in her head she is in extreme pain and its a constant pain not sharp shocking pain that comes and goes, is there anyone out there on your site who have any suggestions please,thank you ,helen

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Helen

I'm so sorry to hear of your daughters pain :cry:

Have they consulted a dentist? It could be her teeth or a tooth that is causing the pain?????

Other possibilties:

Trigeminal Neuralgia?

Try reading the link below:

https://patient.info/showdoc/40000978/

Wishing your daughter a speedy diagnosis & recovery

Melbi x

• Posted

Hello

I'm in exactly the same situation. Throbbing pain in face and visits to the dentist as it seems to be located around one tooth. Various x rays reveal tooth is fine. Still the throbbing pressure pain continues and occasional numbness and pins and needles. Dr also put me on diazapam which is fine to take my mind off my situation at night but during the day its horrible.

Thats the bad news now the good -

I had exactly the same problem 3 years ago only pain on other side of face. Doctor sent me to Dentist and again nothing wrong. Doctor said it was in my imagination and suggested I hated my job and conjured up the pain to get signed off. This was a very low point but just in the darkest hour comes a shaft of light.

I twisted my lower back and went to the osteopath. I just happened to mention the pressure in my head and what the Doc had said. The osteopath said it's 99% certain I've pinched a nerve in my neck or shoulder. After a bit of pulling on my arm and twisting various ways the pain got a little better. After my next visit the pain all but went. I was advised to use a tens machine from time to time if ever I felt my sholder or neck stiff. I did for a long while and remained pain free until recently when the machine went wrong and I didnt replace it. 4 months later the pain came back.

I hope this helps. Try a osteopath visit and I'm almost certain you'll feel better.

David

• Posted

Hi Helen

I really feel for your daughter particularly as I've also suffered from atypical facial pain. In my case it all started with a failed root canal. I've also been through the medications and the tests that didn't show anything wrong. I've improved quite a lot lately since I started using microcurrent electrical therapy. This is a generic name, I won't mention the particular brand I'm using as I don't want my comments to sound like marketing. I've posted more details in Facebook, Neuropathic Nerve Pain Support Group, Discussions. I do hope it helps.

Best wishes to you and your daughter.

Carmen

• Posted

Hi

For 18 months I have been backwards and forwards to the hopsital for a very similiar problem.  I was first under ENT and had MRI scans which showed nothing, then I have been under a neurologist which again has shown no root cause to my pain.  The pain started as a deep rooted ear pain, which went down my jaw, across my cheek and was often like pins and needles.  It was treated with all different medications with no real relief.

I have since been referred to the maxillofacial dentist, who has diagnosed me with TMD, and I now have a splint to wear at night.  It is still early days.  I am also being referred to physio to learn to relax (I am a head teacher) as I clench my teeth and was completely unaware.

• Posted

Hi Helen,

I've actually had these same symptoms and took me years to figure out what the issue was, after ruling out any tooth issues, jaw issues, sinus issues etc.. the pain started getting real bad, I was finally diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia. It was the pain you are describing not sharp but would come and go. I ended up having the surgery and it was the best thing that I ever did, no more pain and no longer have to me put on any medication. The surgery is scary when you start doing your research but find a good Nero doctor who does them, I was out of the hospital in two days, took a few weeks to recover and off all my nerve meds in two months post surgery..... If your in the Boston area, I have a great referal for you if you need one.

Best of luck  -  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.