Severe groin pain

Posted , 74 users are following.

Hi.. My sister is experiencing severe pain in her left groin area. She is in tears every night and no one seems to be able to help. She was in hospital for a week and underwent a MRI, CAT scan etc and still nothing. They say they can't find anything. It is constant in her left side. It used to go down her left leg also but not so much now. She says it feels like her inside are being pulled apart and when the pain eases her left side feels heavy. She has had a massage machine to see if it is muscle related with still no success. It started before Christmas 2012 and had stayed getting worse and worse. She can't take anymore. Can anybody help us???

8 likes, 126 replies

126 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Gemma,

Did your sister ever find an answer or relief? 

I am in the same boat. 

30-year-old.  pain in (right) groin since July 2013.  Sometimes pain radiates down to knee.  Sometimes radiates up through abdomen,

Lumbar MRI revealed nothing special.  Tried perscription anti-inflammatories.  Tried physio.  Acupuncture.  Had ultrasounds of pelvis and abdomen.   Had endoscopy down throat.   Bloodwork.   All clear.

Am now waiting on an abdominal/pelvic CT scan. 

Am tired of being in such intense pain with little to no relief. 

I have yet to meet someone who knows what I am talking about/has an idea/can offer a solution.  I have seen my GP, a physiotherapist, a vascular doc, a neurologist, and a gastro doc...

What was your sister's outcome/what has her journey been like since?

All the Best,

-Dora.

• Posted

Is your pain worse from time of ovulation to period?  I had severe cramps that grew into pain all the time in that area.  Turned out to be endometrioisis.  Eventually got a hysterectomy, which cured it.
    • Posted

Not that I have noticed.

Is the only way to diagnose endo via a laproscopic exploratory surgery?

I keep thinking it is a femoral hernia (incredibly difficult to diagnose in women).

Chronically not feeling well/being in pain is causing me to be anxious and stressed, which in turn feeds the pain.   

It's difficult to know where to go next.

• Posted

I think if it was endo. you would know that it involves the uterine area in rhythm to your cycle.  I hope you find the answer.  I have chronic pain from a variety of problems - it is just maddening and sad.  I feel like there is a normal active gal in me, who is not allowed her freedom.
    • Posted

Hi I'm lorie just joined. I know exactly what you are talking about and yes the pain is mostly off the chart. My doc says it is sciatica but I am having a hard time believing bc there is not a med an operation nothing. I don't know how to live my life like this

Also, sometime the pain moves upward arundel my sides right where I bend. Anyone???? Tired of spending $ 4. NADA!!!

• Posted

Hi Lorie,

I have had sciatica and the pain usually runs from the hip down the legs and is really intense, like you can't be still intense because your always trying to get comfortable and get in a position where the pain will stop. Sciatica will usually feel somewhat better after resting it for some time one time it took me about 4-6 weeks before I felt half way human again but now I usually do pretty good unless Ihave to drive a great distance.

• Posted

I don't know... My pain has gone on for way over almost 2 years. my problem is that I try to do the menial things Ivery always done but after I do I pay for days. I don't have any muscle strength and everyone is fussing at me bc I lean aND walk even leaning to my right?! Now....explain that? I just can't mentally handle the everyday pain. I have suffered with depression long before I knew it

• Posted

I have had this pain for so long now from my waist to my groin down both of my legs to my knees the Doctor thinks it's from my hips I think it's is as well. It is extremely painful most of the time. I'm starting physical therapy not sure if it can help I think I may need hip replacement surgery, but it scares me and I'm afraid it might not even help I'm in bad shape to much pain

• Posted

I had pain in my hip and groin area, that went down to my knee so bad i rated the pain as 12 on a scale from 1 to 10. Physical therapy helped me. I still have pain but it is not as bad. 
    • Posted

I'm in the same boat, to the extent I was supposed to have a cushion put in between my hip joint when we drove 21/2 hours away they did not do the surgery intended instead they did an exploratory it comes and goes like a Butcher knife in my right groin this time it went from last Thursday till yesterday March 5th 2017 I never know when it's going to start although immediately I get extremely I'll like flu which has also been going on for years, I hope you and I and all suffering from this find out exactly what it is, I did find out I have bursitis in my right hip. I know my bones cannot handle cool or cold weather I thank God I'm in Florida now thanks for being on here, Suzanne Eigner

• Posted

I have had x-rays, variety of those, nothing is found. I have been examined by a multitude of doctors and treated by a multitude of doctors with no results. My next step is acupuncture which I am seriously considering scheduling soon 
  • Posted

Sounds same as my groin pain, I had knee replacement in 2013 that was healing very well until about 6 months I started having intense groin thigh hamstring and knee pain again, after months of physio and X-rays on knee to make sure nothing had gone out of place, I went back to surgeon saying something was horribly wrong as I could not walk by this stage and would bd in tears most nights..... After investigating further and an X-ray of my hip, it was referred pain from hip ... I needed a hip replacement !!!!!!!!

Immediately after replacement the intense groin psin had disappeared!!

7 weeks on and I now have shingles!!!!!

• Posted

Julieas,

You have been through it and then some, I hope now that everything is surgically fixed maybe this will be the last trial you have to face.

• Posted

OMG I'm experiencing this right now. Lord God help!! I'm in so much pain that I can hardly bare it. It started as right hip and leg pain, then switched to my left leg and left groin. I could barely lift my legs. I soon after felt a lump in the crease of my groin that moved to my upper pelvic area. Went to the Emergency room... Lump had mysteriously disappeared. I was told that it was most likely a Femoral Hernia. It's been weeks later now.... Groin pain, severe lower abdominal pain especially when bladder is full or if I need to have a BM. Can barely walk. Feeling lost. Confused. Just want help

• Posted

WOW ! you have been through it ! and now Shingles ? Im sure from all the stress ! You are in my Prayers. 
    • Posted

Omg!  Sounds just likeMe. I put it down to my use of gabapentin because feels like nerve pain. Doctor said possible pelvic congestion. It's been 5 years of test and nothing found. I'm disabled and medical is breaking me!  I don't know what to do!  It's worn Me out and My adrenalglands hardly function. My pain Doctor feels that's a result of extreme pain as my CPR level is highly elevated. Please keep posted so I can throw ideas to Doctor who spends 5 minutes with Me. He just doesn't know what to do!  Thanks! Sherri

• Posted

I have been better lately .. I got something called Stop Pain Now roll-on and can be bought over the counter ... this has seemed to help. I apply it to the painful areas and it has lessened the severity 
    • Posted

I'm going to look for this as the side effects of gabapentin only increase my pain and have made Me severely ill!  As I'm tapering off the gabapentin My pain and health are showing vast improvement. Yet after 5 years of not being able to hardly sit and new symptom of dribbling bladder I'm starting to wonder if I have more than 1 thing. Base of tailbone crumbling but Radiologist believes I have pelvic congestion. Does that cause hip pain?  Feels like it's all pulling down!  They just can't see anything wrong but My bloodwork shows a problem. My CPR number is 3 to 4 x higher than normal. Meaning the stress on My body , infection or inflammation!  Pain Doctor says it's the stress of pain which has also created Addison's Disease. Ran down adrenal glands as I was trying to convince Pain Doctors the pain was real as no one wants to prescribe pain meds anymore!! What a life!!  Thanks! Sherri

• Posted

I’ve had left groin pain since 2012. It’s worse at night and I wake up screaming. It’s always there in a dull since and the pain scale fluctuates. I’ve had a hysterectomy, hernia repair and a hip replacement. They have done so many test and can’t find anything. I take lyrica and other pain medications but they give little relief or none at all for this. I already have a few lumbar and cervical back problems but that was from an accident and the groin pain was there before. My primary is sending me back to the general surgeon to see if he has any ideas. Does anyone have any advice?
    • Posted

Did you ask your doctors to check for a femoral hernia?   This can be diagnosed with an ultrasound.
    • Posted

Did you ever find out what the problem was? I woke up 4 weeks ago and I could not walk. My left leg swells often, I think because that's the leg that the vein was removed during open heart surgery. My surgeon said I have very small veins. My left leg and foot were very swollen and didn't resolve even after keeping my foot elevated. The pain is in the crease of my groin. It does not radiate down my leg but rather there's another spot in the middle of my shin that's extremely painful. I also have a feeling of fullness just above the groin. Now my right leg is feeling odd. I have not seen a doctor yet but I have secretly wondered if this could be DVT? An infection like MRSA? I'm 57 and not very active, I try to walk 4-5 times a week. Please let me know what you found out.

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear about your intense pain.  I never had any leg/foot swelling, just the intense pain in my groin.  I'm happy to say that my pain is about a 1-2.  I still feel some pain getting into and out of the car, and sometimes getting out of a chair if I sit too long.  I take an anti-inflammatory called Meloxicam and two extra Tylenol day.  I also went to a physical therapist who specializes in pain therapy.  After one session with her, I soon began to feel less and less pain.

Considering the symptoms you mentioned, I would encourage you to see your doctor and at least rule out a DVT.  I wish you the best of recovery!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.