Severe headache and sickness for over 3 weeks

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

Ive been suffering with what I thought were migraines for about 3 years.  I would get them once or twice a month for 3/4 days and although I would have a day when it was very severe it was for the most part bearable with painkillers.

Last december I had heart surgery for a thoracic aortic aneurysm and replacement valve.  Since the operation the headaches have gradually got worse, especially on bending down or coughing.  3 weeks ago my doctor sent me to A&E because my appoinment with a neurologist wasn't until 27th July and she felt I needed treatment sooner.  I had a CT scan without contrast which came back normal (I was very relieved). My blood pressure is fine.  I was able to see a Consultant neurologist who is of the opinion that it is migraine or intracranial hypertension.  I can't have an MRI because I have a mechanical heart valve so he is ordering a CT scan with contrast for me which he says will show any pressure.  3 Weeks later still waiting for scan appointment to come through.  My headache hasn't gone, I have to spend most of every day lying flat on my back.  I've also been told to stop taking co-codomol as it causes rebound headaches and also to only take paracetamol 11 days out of the month.  So I'm a mess, in pain and unable to carry on with my active life.  Also now I cant lift anything without a pain in the top of my head like I've been stabbed and the pain on bending down is enough to make me shed a tear. Has anyone else had this, I feel it must be something bad to cause such pain.  I also have terrible nausea with it.  Please send me some hope, I am feeling so down about it all,

Gailx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It sounds awful, Gail. But you're doing the right thing getting it investigated thoroughly.

things to try, just to ease the pain. Have you tried ice pack on your neck, well wrapped in a cloth. Try lying flat with an ice pack at the back of your neck, base of your head. 

Could it be anything you're eating it drinking? Mine are caused by even tiny amounts of chocolate, coffee, alcohol, and as weird and wonderful as ginger and pineapple. 

The cocoadmol is well known for the rebound headaches. My daughter also damaged her stomach taking ibuprofen so if you have to take tablets, try to take them with food. Not easy when you're feeling nauseous. 

You will get to the bottom of it, but I know how depressing it can be. I was hospitalised, CT scan cancelled because headache went ( well after paractemol and morphine it would!) eventually saw a chiropractor and it was muscles affecting my neck. 6 weeks later I was much, much better and in 6 months I've hardly had a headache.

hang in there, and I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi Holly,

Thank you so much for replying.  I have to admit that the last week I have been considering a chiropractor.  Somehow I feel a kind of crunch feeling in the back of my neck and maybe if I can sort that it will help the headaches.  While I wouldn't wish these headaches on anyone it is so comforting for me to know that others have had this and survived!  I forgot to mention that the consultant I saw prescribed gabapentin.  He said it would take a long time to work.  Thank you for your kind words, it has helped enormously x

• Posted

Gail I had similar symptoms -

Have you tried taking maxalt wafers?  its a triptan. 

I ended up trying to eliminate everything ie sinusitis, vision, hearing problems etc..

• Posted

Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for replying.  The consultant has prescribed Gabapentin, he said it would take a long time to work so I am just hanging on now.  If it doesnt I will certainly mention maxalt wafers to him.  At first I thought it was sinus, I had a toothache for weeks that the dentist said was definately not a bad tooth and also earache, this was in the months after my op when the headaches were getting worse and more frequent.  The chemist said I couldn't take a decongestant because of the heart pills and medication for my bipolar.  So if that is a problem I am hoping the docs will find something I can take.  I've had my eyes testing recently and they are fine, but haven't had hearing test.  I am so wobbly on my feel that I am attributing to the headache that it could well be something with my hearing.

Thank you so much for replying, it does help so much to know that others have had similar problems and recovered...

• Posted

Hi Gail. I took anti epileptic drugs for a couple of years....doctors are always keen to prescribe these. They did not help. Maxmelt wafers or zolmitriptan are the only

thing that have worked for me. I have tried everything .... everything.  What I would advise after 10 years of trying to find something that actually helps is to go with the triptans. They are the only thing that can bring any relief.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.