severe health anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

i have health anxiety and it,s ruining my life..Does any one have any proven  ideas on how to overcome this?

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You can't alone I'm afraid, therapy is the only way to find the root cause and help you overcome it ,meds can't do that for you
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply..do you suffer with health anxiety too by any chance?
    • Posted

I do yes, its an appalling thing to deal with it really is
    • Posted

yes it sure is..i,m fed up it all now..started taking citalapram and i feel sick now and got no appetite..
    • Posted

Meds can't really help to be honest, health anxiety is part of anxiety in general,the bigger anxiety needs to be addressed first. Citalopram I tried years ago and found it absolutely terrible
    • Posted

What dosn,t help is ive now got a phobia of going to doctors or dentists or opticians etc for fear of bad news..
    • Posted

yes i realise..it,s a horrible situation..just wish there was some way out of it..ive got a counselling no from gp but i don,t have much faith in counselling..i went years ago and it didn,t help..
    • Posted

Counselling is not the same as therapy,at least not in the UK. Proper therapy is needed, and not just CBT which is always offered first. Ask for a referral to physchotherapy
    • Posted

ok i will do thanks..how long have you suffered from this do you mind me asking?
    • Posted

Anxiety on and off about 20 years, health anxiety mostly this last year or so following a prolapsed disc. I'm 37
    • Posted

oh ok..do you mean you keep thinking its something terrible you have now?
  • Posted

Hi julia

What is it thats concerning you about health anxiety, do you have physical symptoms at at all?

• Posted

Hi ..ive gone from one worry to another..at the moment it,s my eyes.ive got floaters in my right eye and ive been to opticians (eventually plucked up the courage) and they said theres nothing wrong with my eyes..
    • Posted

I get co stant eye floaters all the time, with anxiety in general we notice these more,the majority of people have these in abundance,but the brain tunes them out,with anxiety we notice them and become fixated on them,they are very normal but oh so annoying. With health anxiety in particular we go from one worry to the next,event if we do get reassurance then its never enough,so we carry on worrying,we even develop the physical symptoms of the thing we are worried about. The best advice until you can get some therapy for the root anxiety is to never ever Google symptoms, we all do it but its one of the worse things we can ever do
    • Posted

I google everything..every time i finish work i come home and google things...as for the eye floaters yes it is horrible..i can live with it but hope they don,t get worse or i go blind..that,s my worry as you can probably imagine..
    • Posted

It's a common thing,everyone has them,as your anxiety is dealt with you'll notice them less like everyone who has them. Stop googling though,no good will come of it you'll only drive yourself crazy
    • Posted

At least you believe every one has them lol..i,m struggling to believe you if you know what i mean? And i will try to stop googling..
    • Posted

Yea that's the nature of it,not matter what anyone tells us we don't believe it,there's no way to reason with it,once your anxiety is being dealt with it really will stop
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice ..it,s really nice to know others feel the same way because i must admit i feel i,m going mad at times..i have to go out now so talk soon hopefully...
    • Posted

Hi again..if you don,t mind me asking how many eye floaters do you have? and is it both eyes? mines mainly in the right eye but its quite a few...more like a web appearance..it,s really getting me down..
    • Posted

I get a lot,one one more than others.anxiety doesn't actually cause them ,it just makes us more aware of them, and once we notice them it seems impossible to ignore. I've had an optician give me the all.clear too,its just something that happens to everyone, but those without anxiety learn to ignore them very quickly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.