Severe Hypertension

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was put on Amlodipine for severe hypertension and the first night i was in terrible pain with my chest and that brought on a anxiety attack, stayed on it for a week and still had spikes in my high blood pressure and chest pain, went back to the doctor and told her and she looked at me like i was lying, changed my medication to Ramipril and the chest pain and anxiety went but i have got a terrible dry cough with the Ramipril so need to come of them too, my blood pressure was very high and i was told it may lead to a heart attack or stroke so now i am in trouble as i don't trust any medications because of the side effects, i am worried now, any advice is welcome. 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Amlodipine is often the first port of call.

How high was your BP and did they just treat you on a one off reading rather than check you over several weeks.

You should get a BP monitor to check when in relaxed surroundings at home.

• Posted

Have you tried Losartan ? I'm on that one ,it's the most favoured one .Give British Heart Foundation a call ,ask their advice .I get odd palp ,but believe it's stress related for myself .Got to many balls up in the air .Stress can keep BP up .it affects me that way .Shazza .
  • Posted

Hi Shazza I also needed to come off Ramipril due to severe cough and unfortunately this came back when I started taking 100 mg of Losartan. GP reduced Losartan to 50mg and put in Doxazosin.

im now on 4 different tablets, the two mentioned above, amlodipine and indapamide!!.

dont worry there are lots of different tablets for BP I'm sure you Dr will find the right ones for you.

take care

• Posted

Thanks all for the replies, i have only been diagnosed for 3 weeks, my  first medication was the Amlodipine then the Ramipril, my BP was 197 something, can't remember but my doctor said it was high enough for a hospital bed, the NHS never had any beds so i had to stay in the surgery for a few hours till the Amlodipine kicked in which it did taking  my BP down, i am still waiting for a phone call from the hospital lol trouble is a can feel a spike in my blood pressure now i have stopped the Ramipril​ but i refuse to live with this cough, i do suffer with stress and that made my BP worse as well as lifestyle, i will make an appointment tomorrow to change my medication but if truth is told i am now scared of the side effects from BP medication, thanks again all. 
    • Posted

I to have been on both of those ,Ramipril well known for coughs ,but the rest can do it as well ,plus cause headaches .when you go to drs your BP can be raised up by 10 to 15 points if you suffer White Coat Syndrome to ,just having that arm cuff put on ,that's me every time .thats stress yet again ,then drops once out of surgery door .the monitors you get put on ,have same affect ,for some that is ,not all
    • Posted

Google for Hypertension Referral Centre to see if there is one near you. They will try not to send you there.. probably your GP has never heard of them but NICE guidelines say that if your BP is consistantly over 168 you should be referred.
  • Posted

I don't have white colour syndrome but i probably do have raised bloos pressure when i  visit the doctors, ok thanks Derek, i will talk to the doctor.
  • Posted

I ignored the advice, stopped taking atenolol, kept drinking heavily and guess what? I had a massive stroke last year (bleed on the brain) and two months in hospital, lost the use of my legs for the time I was there, because I wasn't given physio.

The two major cause for my type of stroke (about 10% of strokes, the rest are all clots) were unchecked hypertension and heavy (daily) drinking. I was lucky, I pretty much made a full recovery, I've seen many that didn't, at the hospital and at the stroke rehab hospital.

Ignore it at your peril, because if you do, it will be in the post, just a case of when it arrives.

• Posted

So sorry to hear that, I am still struggling with side effects, anxiety now, I don't want to end up having a stroke, I just can't handle the side effects, sorry.
    • Posted

What RHGB said is true, the consequences of not taking BP meds far outweigh any side effects, my was BP was stabile in April this year, I got cocky skipped my meds thinking I don't need them now, by October I started getting blurred vision, sent to Moorfields, blocked retinal vein in the right eye, down to unchecked high BP, back on the meds lesson learned. Don't chance it mate!
    • Posted

I don't take statins, normal cholesterol, I'm not diabetic, my BP in Moorfields Hosp was 177/112 when they took it, they told me in no uncertain terms to get my BP sorted out with my GP as soon as possible
    • Posted

Ignore it at your peril, you're heading for stroke territory with a prolonged BP like that.
    • Posted

... and that article was an interesting read, thanks for the link smile
    • Posted

It's not ignored mate, it's being sorted out thank god

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.