Severe muscle tension

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been suffering severe health anxiety for 3 months. I'm on sertraline 150mg for 7 weeks and my mood is definitely lifting and I'm more motivated. However I still suffer with very tight muscles especially in my neck, shoulders, face, back, upper abdomen and tops of my legs. Sometimes it feels like they are shaking inside and then sometimes it feels like spasms. I want to do things now but it's stopping me as the pain is so tiresome. Does anyone else have this ? Is it normal ? Will it go as time goes on on the sertraline ? Thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Karen you need to gain confidence within yourself and that will lead to a more positive outlook.

Anxiety sometimes can be a learnt and needs to be unlearned. and you will move on as you become more positive

Good Luck

BOB

• Posted

I suggest telling your dr to check that the sertraline is not exaceerbating the muscular problems.
  • Posted

Hi Karen

One of the side affects of the physical symptoms caused by the anxiety you had over the 3  months. And they do stay with you for some time.. It's a habit your body has got used to and has border says has to be unlearnt .. If that makes sense.

If you can go on you tube and type in progressive muscle training... Dont panic it's really easy to do each morning and night and it really helps with the pain and muscle tensions.

That helps the physical side of things. Retraining your brain can be helped with mindful meditation ... A bit harder to grasp but it helps retrain the left side of your brain not to react in a negative way to the symptoms.. It's about accepting them but bringing your thoughts back to the present moment.

I know it sounds all weird but i did tonnes of research on it , studies done by Oxford University on health and mindfulness.

I have been doing it a few months and it really helped me get my life back on track.

I still get the odd physical symptom still, now and again but i dont react to them like i used to. Through retraining my brain...

Lol it sounds weird when i am typing this... it sounds like i am  some guru.. 

I used to be so sceptical about this kind of stuff, but when i was desperate to get through the anxiety ... I would have tried anything.. I am glad i did .

I am 95% better now and i still do the mindfulness daily .. 

I hope you start feeling it soon, It's a wonderful feeling isnt it when your motivation comes back .. Things will go from strength to strength..

You can do this there is life aftef anxiety and it's physical symptoms xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.