severe pain after stopping crestor cold turkey

Posted , 8 users are following.

was having joint and muscle soreness, dr thought tendonitis in shoulder, was referring me to rheumatologist, no appt yet, anyway, decided after reading bout statins, to stop them 7 days ago, cold turkey, last 4 days been hell, hurting all over shoulders, arms, glutes hamstrings, can,t sleep can,t hardly get out of bed, can hardly manage to shower or dress, are these side affects from stopping statin drug

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cheryl, I too quit cold turkey without telling my Dr because he insisted it couldn't be the results of taking a statin. I was on 20 MG a day and reduced it to 10 and then quit after 6 months of constant pain. It didn't get better for awhile after I quit but I did notice improvement about 2 months and much better at 3 months. It takes time once your off them, everyone is different. I also had headaches, confusion, dizziness, vision problems and memory loss. That got better as well.

Scott

• Posted

It could be statins. I took them for 11 years and my new doc said many of my pains could have been caused by statins. Been off them for about 6 months and still have most of the pains but a few have disappeared. So maybe some are permanent and others will leave.
    • Posted

Hi Portacrean - just responding to say I was on Artorvastatin for two miserable years. It's been 14 months since I tossed them and I still have periods with side effects, though the severity has greatly dimished and the episodes are fading. I sincerely hope you can regain your health after such a long period of use. The very best of luck to you.

• Posted

Thank you Wayne. I've still got a lot of problems that have actually worsened. But , it is what it is. About all I can hope to do is try to make others aware of the dangers. Most doctors have have $ signs for eyes , not patient welfare.

• Posted

Hi Cheryl - you have not mentioned how long your were taking statins. I would suggest that the symptoms you are experiencing are remnants of the statins. Hang in there, it will get better. You are wise to get off statins.
    • Posted

Hi Wayne, was on crestor since last jan, and yes, dr said wouldn,t be side affect from stopping cold turkey, he is treating me for polymyalgia now, with prednisone which i did not want to take but so painful had no choice, seeing rheumatologist in couple weeks, and reading up on statins, discovered, polymyalgia can be triggered by this poisonous drug, 
  • Posted

Just recently was on Crestor for two months and had muscle pain. So I basically stopped. Still have the Muscle pain. But was on Lipitor for 20 years and never had any muscle pain. Was taking 80 MG a day. Which is a super high amount. But Crestor messed me up. Hope it stops soon.
    • Posted

I was on Crestor for 13 years. Got off 8 months ago. Have had muscle and nerve pain all that time. Doctors never would listen and didn't want to admit that it may be because of Ctestor. They are very hard headed for the most part. They have a very difficult time with three words. I DONT KNOW.

Anyway I'm pretty sure it's all permanent now.

• Posted

I have a taking Crestor for about a month.After that I started having burning sensation in my forearm in the muscle lasted all day long and then that night it quit . Then 2/3   days later I started having pains muscle joint in my hands and now it’s just not stop only in my hands nowhere else. I called my doctor and he took me off of them immediately did you have any of these symptoms in your hands? And are you on any Statins  now? I am done with the statins I don’t want nothing to do with them I just need to figure out a solution for my cholesterol problem .I am doing fish oil and I’m getting ready to do the red rice yeast my cholesterol is over 300 they say that I am producing it since my estrogen is low and have been going through the change I have not had any problems with my cholesterol and until  now.Really want to solve this problem take it I am totally against medication please help
  • Posted

I'd never had any problems taking statins until I stopped taking them. Stopping Crestor caused the same pain as described above - aching sore arms/shoulders, lack of sleep, also stiff neck and sometimes back too. I could hardly move it was so maddeningly painful. I now know this pain is caused by inflammation. I'm back on 20mg Crestor before bed with the pain slowly subsiding. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.