Severe pain in ankle 7 months post ORIF surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

In January 2016 I fell on ice and broke two bones in my ankle. I had surgery on the 29th and have a large plate on the outside and screws on the inside of my ankle. I have nerve damage still and cant fully feel my toes. My biggest concern is the pain. OMG the pain is intense. Mostly on the inside where the screws are (under that ball part of the ankle). My ortho surgeon has blown off my pain and dismissed it as expected. I expected to have some pain but on a scale of 1-10 this is a 5 every day all day and currently over the last couple days I'd say close to a 7. I have swelling high up on my incision on the outside (looks like a small balloon under the skin) and that spot is tender too. My inside of my ankle is also swelling. I'm waiting on a call back from ortho but just curious how much pain is normal for this far out?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Really sorry your in so much pain, cause 5 is a lot of pain in my eyes, as you will see I broke my hip and pelvis 8 weeks ago and decided because they didn't xray I was told no break (see my post) I have chosen conservative treatment and my pain is no where near that, you need to insist on an xray to make sure all is as it should be, after this length of time you should be pain free, as for surgeon saying it's to be expected then ask him if he would be happy for one of his family to be in unnecessary pain day in day out.

Nobody liked pain so don't put up with it, put your foot down, that was to make you smile

• Posted

My heart goes out to you. I fully understand what you are going through. I fell on Aug.29 had ORIF surgery on Oct.2. They put me in a splint for 8weeks after surgery. Then my Dr.put me in a boot and told WB as tolerated it's not working. I use a walker or crutches to get around.The pain is extreme when I walk. The boot is heavy and makes it hurts worst. The Dr says the pain,burning,numbness,tingling,muscle spasimsis, bruising is normal all of my concerns are being dismissed. I asked about PT to help me get back to normal especially work but he is not recommending it. I think I made a poor choice in medical care.

Sista0615

• Posted

My heart goes out to you. I fully understand what you are going through. I fell on Aug.29 had ORIF surgery on Oct.2. They put me in a splint for 8weeks after surgery. Then my Dr.put me in a boot and told WB as tolerated it's not working. I use a walker or crutches to get around.The pain is extreme when I walk. The boot is heavy and makes it hurts worst. The Dr says the pain,burning,numbness,tingling,muscle spasimsis, bruising is normal all of my concerns are being dismissed. I asked about PT to help me get back to normal especially work but he is not recommending it. I think I made a poor choice in medical care.

Sista0615 ..PS.. I broke all 3 bones can anyone give me any advice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.