Severe pain in right side for a year.

Posted , 7 users are following.

New to this, but trying to grasp as much information as I can, or to find others that maybe in a similar situation.

The last year has been hell. What started as a normal year, has been nothing but pain. February 2016, I woke up in the middle of the night with a throbbing stabbing pain in my lower right. Didn't hurt to push down, no tenderness, it wasn't just there.

The morning after I was in ge GP having an UltraSound. To no avail, nothing was found. GP's put it down to, surprise surprise, an IBS flare up...

I was placed on 40mg of Amitriptyline to help manage the pain and provide me some comfort.

A few months later a Gastroenterologist finally saw me, I had MRI, and another UltraSound. They decided to not do any other tests, as they couldn't see anything other than a bit of inflammation on my lower right side. And placed me on the Low FODMAP diet.

I'm in the introductory phase now after it's been a huge waste of time. Followed the diets strict regime religiously for around 6-7 months now. GP's believe I've 'distended my bowel', yet everywhere I look, there's nothing out there about a 'Disteneded Bowel'...

Everyday I'm still in agony with my right side, sharp stabbing pains. I've noticed pressing around my stomach I can 'pop' presumably gas bubbles. I've lost around 8 stone in a year also. It's caused me to unleash Borderline Personallity Disorder, something the psychological team believe has always been there but was brought out by the stress of pain everyday.

I'm at a wits end and any sort of communication would be forever appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Harry

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Harry

There are sites on here that deal with Bowel disorders.

Try NHS CHOICES web page and look up your condition on their A toZ conditions section and you will hopefully find recommendations on your condition. You will then hopefully be able to ask your Doctor further information and ask for a Treatment Plan.

With your Personality disorder you may need to discuss a further course of treatment. the Doctor will arrange some medications and a course of CBT where you will be introduced to coping skills

BOB

• Posted

Hi Bob, thank you for your reply. Under the Mental Health Team for my personality disorder. Going round and round in circles with the doctors, I'll have a browse of choices, see if there's anything I can do.

Many thanks again!

• Posted

Harry

It is up to you to break that circle you are going around and round in every increasing circles, Stop looking at your feet and look at the scenary as you pass by. You can then start to understand your needs and jump of the circle of indecision and doubt

BOB

• Posted

Have you had your gallbladder, liver and appendix checked?  Do you have IBS? If you do, it might be a flare up.  The Fodmap diet doesn't help everyone. Does the antidepressant help with the pain?  Anxiety is part of IBS and makes symptoms worse.  Does your pain move about and do you have change of bowel habit?

• Posted

Hi there, thanks for your reply. Had my appendix checked on MRI, which is releving. Am diagnosed with IBS, however various GP's I've spoke to don't believe IBS to be the continuing factor. Just they don't know which direction to take.

It's pretty clear my BPD can exaggerate symptoms but they're still always there.

Many thanks,

• Posted

If you have BPD, this will make your IBS worse.  The key to controlling your symptoms, is dealing with your anxiety.
  • Posted

I have exactly the same as this free around 6montha now gp also says ibs which I don't believe I have been in a gluten and dairyfree diet for a while has helped with my constipation still have the pain though I'm going for a acupuncture meet tomorrow to see if that combined with reflexology gives me any relief 👍

• Posted

Hi there, thanks for your reply. How did the acupuncture and reflexology go? I'm at a wits end here, I'll try anything!

Many thanks,

• Posted

hi i had the same problem pains in the night, a friend of mine uses peppermint oil, so i tried it and it works for me, hope it works for you? regards alan.
  • Posted

Hi, I had something similar almost constantly for over a year...does it stab more if you breath in? And sometimes down the right shoulder blade? I was going insane with trying to figure it all out, thought liver, appendix etc. But in the end when I went to see the doctor, he basically told me it was all in my mind and stress related...I felt a right prat, and left the doctors almost crying...but you know what it just went from that day on, so incredibly I think he was right. (I was having IVF treatment at the time, but it never really bothered me, but he explained that all the hormones, operations and sub consciously could cause me stress, stress can be physical as well as mental, so because my body was having all these extra hormones it was causing me stress, even though I didn't feel stressed mentally by it all) hope this makes sense? Is there anything that could be causing you unknown stress? An operation in the last few years? Medication you may be on?

Hope you get some answers soon x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.