Severe symptoms... only "borderline" hyperthyroid

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey everyone. I was just wondering if TSH level effects the severity of symptoms. My symptoms are very very severe. Rapid weight loss, 5 bowel movements a day, dizziness, nausea, weakness. However my doctors don't think it's a thyroid issues because my TSH is .12 and my FT4 was only slightly elevated.

Anyone else have severe symptoms when only "borderline" hyper?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Are you on medication treatment for hyperthyroidism?  You need to get your autoimmune antibodies checked as well.  I had values like that after I started treatment and they didn't change until I added supplements to my treatment.

• Posted

My antibodies were negative for graves and hastimotos. I have an uptake and scan coming up.

My endocrinologist put me on a very small dose of methimazole. She wants my thyroid to be over active for the scan to properly diagnose me correctly.

• Posted

I would also ask your doc to test your vitamin D, Magnesium and Carnitine levels and if they are deficient, add these as supplements.  Also, it is important to eat a healthy diet.
  • Posted

Dear Lynds  I had all the symtoms you are having if I ate a Mars bar within half an hour I passed a mars bar did not stop eating but went down to 5 stone couldnt stop shaking and very fast heart beat, and awlful skin rashes. My doctor at the time said it was because I was going through the change. It was only when I saw a different DR at the pactice he did a different more expensive blood test  it was realised I was in a thyrotic storm. Ask to be refered to an Endocrinolgist I nearly died because of my original Blood test readings. regards Jacky 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.