Severe tooth pain, swollen jawline!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Went to the dentist today, after two days of horrible pain, no sleep, and a cranky little atittude! He scheduled me to get a bad tooth pulled a week from today. Meanwhile, He put me on antibiotics and pain meds and my pain has been been better today however, now my jawline is very noticeably swollen and very hard and sensitive to touch? I don't understand why it's doing this now after I'm on antibiotics and pain meds?! Any help is appreciated!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Oh I feel for you. I had this too. My jaw remained swollen for a couple of days until the antibiotics started to take effect. At first it's just the pain killers helping, but infection still there. I found a cold compress (ice in a tea towel) worked well to help soothe my swollen cheek. Apparently heat makes it worse so avoid hot showers etc on it. Propping myself up to sleep, rather than on my side made it a bit easier at night. By the 3rd day of antibiotics I was much better, so hang in there it won't last forever!

• Posted

Ahh! Thank you so much for replying. I guess I'll give it a few days then and see, I just started them this morning and was able to work tonight and my face was hardly swollen, pain wasn't to bad as long as I kept my mind off of it ( I'm sure the painkillers helped too lol ) but after I got off work boom! My cheek and jawline swelled up! Going to try the ice compress on it for awhile, I have to work in the am, doesn't sound fun waitressin and bartending looking like I have a golf ball in my cheek. Thanks again for your response. Soooo greatly appreciated, you've gave me hope! Haha!

• Posted

I have a gum infection. Went to emergency dentist Monday and was prescribed metronidazole. Today (Wednesday) I'm feeling better in terms of pain but gum is still swollen as is my jaw near glands and I still can't open mouth much. Hoping it clears up v soon sad

• Posted

Suffering it all now. Are you better? Any tips? Been on augmentin for two days and maxed out on paracetamol and codeine phosphate. Nothing working. Cant take nsai's. Cold  compresses give temporary relief but cant go around with a bag of ice strapped to my face. Sucking ice lollies. Tried hot compress to burst anything but no success. Tooth removed 5 days ago. Headectomy next? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.