sex after cyst removal

Posted , 39 users are following.

Hi. I'm 42 and had a suburethral/bartholins cyst removed a week ago. It was causing pain urinating and during intercourse and wouldn't go with antibiotics. Finally plucked up the courage to 'investigate' in the bath today. The whole area feels hard and I still have pain on sitting. Having read other comments, and although I have gone back to work as my dr said a week for recovery, I gather it probably takes much longer to be back to normal. My main query is, for those who have had it done, has it affected your arousal long term?My lovely hubby has been spoiling me since the op and is certainly not fussing about when I will be up to it, but it's more my own pleasure I'm concerned about. I normally still have a pretty good sex drive and don't want to suddenly lose all enjoyment at a still relatively young age. Please be honest in your experience-I am getting really stressed out by this.

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey jo, 

I know how you feel. I had a bartholins abscess removed back in February, ever since then I'm still experiencing severe pain during intetcousre especially of we have sex every day. Without sounding to gross about it, I don't get wet anymore and we have to solely rely on lube now. I'm still dealing with fluid like lumps on my vagina and the doctors keep telling me there is nothing they can do about it. I'm honestly at my wits end dealing with this and it upsets me I can't just live a happy normal carefree life like other women anymore. Everyone's experiences are different and I hope your case doesn't get like mine. I do wish you a speedy and healthy recovery. 

I've recently been taking silica tablets as I heard they can help and been washing my parts with a intimate wash everyday now on top of also everytime I go to the toilet using baby wipes to clean the area. This seems to be helping a little bit but only started doing this a week ago. Maybe you could try something like that also. 

• Posted

Hi and thanks for your answer. I'm so sorry you are still having problems. Knowing how painful it can be I can really sympathise. It's 16 days since my surgery and the hardness seems to have gone down. After just over a week I started having a discharge so went back to doc who said I had a strep infection and gave me clindamycin cream for a week. This seems to have worked and I can now sit down ok and generally carry on as normal. My concern is that I masturbated yesterday for the first time and I had sudden shooting and aching pain throughout the whole area-even reaching as far back as my bottom. I really hope this is only temporary whilst I am still healing. I think the problem you and I are both dealing with is the fact that doctors really don't seem to know that much about this-even those treating it! I also think the possible side effects are not fully explained-I was told I'd be back at work in a couple of days and there is no way that would have been possible. I am going to see my consultant again tomorrow and will see what she says. I hope you do manage to get something sorted as it is horrible to feel like this and no-one really understands unless they have had the experience. I think I will investigate the silica tablets if I don't get any joy from my dr.
    • Posted

Well hopefully with the surgery done now it's just a matter of waiting to heal now, but yes sexy and masterbation can get quite scary after dealing with these horrid things. 

I think you've hit the nail on the head with doctors. Every doctor I go to seems to have a different opinion. I've read that not many women suffer from bartholins cyst and after removal it's even rarer again that they recur. Makes me wonder sometime 'why me?' Even gynos seem to not take this problem to seriously and the pain is excuriating, you would think being 2014 this would be a issue they would have solved by now but seems every women who suffers from this is bound to love the rest of their life worrying everytime a lump appears. 

I really hope that you get some good news from your doctor. Also another thing I've been doing lately is hot salt baths and massaging the lumps. This seems to be working but the pumps are not fully going away. I guess this is just something I'll have to tolerate til I form another abscess sad 

I r

• Posted

Not silica but Silicea homeopatic tablets and for problems with no wetting anymore get water bassed yes lubricant applicators, which will help you get wet from inside, your partner will not notice even that is not you wink
    • Posted

the pain is from your pudendal nerve..sorry..I take amitriptyline and lyrica for vulvodynia and they work, I have nerve damage from all the bartholin infections and procedures 
    • Posted

Its eight weeks since my surgery, and I have now been diagnosed with urethral syndrome. I was given ami and a muscle relaxant but they made me feel awful! I am currently on benylin, have started back on the mini pill(for the hormones) and am following a low oxalate diet. I also just started acupuncture today. It seems to me that the original infection triggered the urethral syndrome, and the cyst removal made it worse. If only my gyno had picked up the urethral syndrome in the first place I might have deferred the surgery. I certainly won't be having any more surgery in that area unless its a matter of life or death.

Regardless, I am staying positive and will keep posting as to how the above treatments work.

• Posted

Hey jo,

It is almost a year since I had bartholin cyst surgery. I only started to feel better after just over 6 months. I had discomfot and was generally scared of sexual activity as did not like it being painful. One year later I now feel pretty normal. So, it does take time. I think you need to be patient, use lube and just give yourself plenty of time for your body to heal fully. Please be gentle with yourself. & to answer one of your key questions, now that my fear and discomfort is over, I have regained all my enjoyment. 

• Posted

Hi and thanks for posting

I'm just over four weeks post op now and although I still don't feel great it seems to be improving, just very slowly. It's good to hear you are fully recovered-whilst waiting is annoying I can put up with it if I know I will be back to normal eventually. I think the biggest problem with this is how little is known and how little doctors tell you. After being initially told I would be fine in a few days when I saw my consultant ten days ago she changed this to six weeks! There really needs to be more information available about this and similar consitions.

I really appreciate you sharing your experience-I will keep updating my progress as it seems posting our own accounts of the problem is the only way for people to find out more.

• Posted

I agree, doctors just don't know or give the right info or expectations. One month after the op I went in for a check-up & asked the doc what I could start doing, eg. light exercise and he said...everything...you can now do everything as normal!  Well, he was wrong.  So stay positive & hang in there, & slowly but surely I am sure you will fully recover. Wishing you all the best for it to be sooner rather than later!

Would love to hear how you get on as I am sure it will help others.

• Posted

Well 5 weeks on from surgery and am sorry to report i feel back to square one. My.doc has now told me it was a skenes gland cyst not BC. The nerve pain is back again and if I get any feelings of arousal they are painful. The whole area still feels irritated. My gyno has prescribed amitryptaline for four weeks to dull the nerve pain. I really hope this works as I am absolutely sick of it and wonder if I'll ever feel normal again. I will keep posting in the hope it might prove helpful but what I will say to anyone contemplating surgery on any of these cysts is think very carefully. There are so many delicate structures in the area including nerves and doctors often don't tell you the full extent/impact of surgery. I'm not saying don't go for it but definitely weigh up the pros and cons. At least before the surgery I could have enjoyable sex even if I was in pain afterwards. I will post back in a couple of weeks after the pills have properly kicked in to update.
    • Posted

I'm so sorry to hear that, I think it's disgusting how little is known about these cysts no matter what they are, I really hope the new medication works for you and I rally am feeling for you. Please keep is posted on how you are going. Any information from fellow sufferers is better than a doctor who doesn't know anything about what we are going through. 

I wish you all the best xoxo

• Posted

How are u now ? What surgery did you have ? Do u still have nerve pain I am really scared of does do they stay there all your life or they go away with time .
    • Posted

Hi there. Mine was a skenes gland cyst. Four months post op and I still have urethral pain and pain on intercourse. I no longer see the gyno after she refused to accept that I actually felt worse after the surgery and didn't want to live on drugs that turned me into a zombie.. This is only my personal experience but unless there is a concern of a more serious health risk or you are in extreme pain I would not rush into surgery. Surgeons get paid a lot more for performing an operation than telling you to wait and see. I am about to embark on pelvic floor therapy and also seeing a urologist next week so will update when I find out more.
    • Posted

Hope you get better !! With time today was a sad day I cry going home from work because I feel little pain in my cysts started to feel fear !!!! Of it being infected goin home to do sitz bath .
    • Posted

Hii,

Please update on how u r doing now. Please am 4 months post surgery.

• Posted

My Doctor diagnosed me wrong because she didn't bother having a quick look. ( it was at that time the size of golfball) she thought I had a yeast infection due to some medication from another vaginal infection. 2 days after taking the wrong meds and the side effects where apparently ament to be easing of but where worsening obviously. My doctor refused to talk to me on the phone so i was luckily taken to a and e. I had my stitches removed a week latter at the same place, no more check ups have been planned to check the healing. I'm so paranoid it might be starting again on the other side, it could just be a little spot or infected hair. But where to go now? It's not an emergency, but can't go back to the doctor.

Should I wait a couple of days to see if it is actually something?

I hear that lots of people keep getting the cyst. Is it normally the same one that gets infected?

Thank you to everyone with their advise and stories they have helped me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.