Shallow Pain after stenting

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I am not from UK but I have been reading this forum for quite a whilte now and I thought I should post my issue here. 

Here is brief history

I was admitted to hospital with sever throat pain on 28th October 2014 and was diagnosed with blockage and was immediately operated and stented.

Before this I had history of unhealthy(heavy smoking) and inactive lifestyle. Also on on same day they found out i am diabetic(type2)

After this wake up call I changed my lifestyle completely , quit smoking, started working out, started eating very healthy.

I was put following medications Cetapin-XR 500mg(Metformin), Januvia 100 (Sitagliptin Phosphate)  once daily, Teleact AM 40mg twice daily, cardivas 6.25 twice daily, Prasita 10 mg once daily, Ecosprin 150 once daily, Jupiros 10 (RosuvaStatin) once daily

About a month after stenting I started having mild shallow pinching sensations all over my body accompanied by Joint pain, stomach pain and chest pain.

I went to back to hospital and they did tests related to heart like EEG, 4d Echo and blood test to confirm that its not heart attack. All tests came back normal.

Pains over period kept getting worse now accompanied by extreme fatigue and muscle fatigue. It has got to a point where my muscles get tired after walking 500 meters.

I still have shallow pinching pain all over my body more predominantly on face, head, ankles, forearms, calves.

In the mean time I have visited doctors multiple times and ran some tests (vitamin B12 and vitamin D) vitamin D turned out to be very low and was started on treatment.

Right now pains and fatigue regular routine for me.

I am not able to exercise or even concentrate on my regular work.

Some friends have suggested that these are side effects of statin, my doc says that is not the case as my CPK levels are normal. 

Also my Blood pressure is around 100 / 180 levels, which was 80 / 130 after stenting. I am scared and tired. I have visited cardiologist, dibetologiest, gastrologist, neurologist. 

I hope some one here will be able to guide me in possibly in the right direction.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello there and I'm not surprised that you are "scared".....

Your whole story tells me that you have statin problems... 

Never mind what the doctors tell you - cardiologists gastroenterologists - neurologists - the lot .....please just stop your statins and see what happens!   

There is nothing to lose by stopping them and I guarantee there is a lot to gain  -  so try it for a fortnight minimum...... and see if there is an improvement.   

To speed up the improvement get yourself some Q enzyme 10  capsules preferably a high dosage -as in UBIQUINOL  and see if that helps your recovery.   In Canada they're not allowed to prescribe statins without these tablets which tells you plenty!!

I sincerely hope that helps a lot ....I'm sure it will ....but from personal experiencce - the only answer is to stop your statins and what is more don't let the doctors badger you into going back onto them... or you will land up like so  many others on this forum - damaged and disillusioned with the medical profession.

I wish you all the luck in the world and my advice is - STEER CLEAR OF STATINS  - indeed any formula of them whatsoever and I guarantee you will feel a wole lot better in a few weeks - if not a few days! !!!

I wish you jolly good luck and look forward to hearing from you soon as to how you get on.

• Posted

I agree 100% with Alzheimer. Statins may be ok for some people but not others. I was give a mild dose of several different statins following a mild heart attack. My whole body was in pain and I felt absolutely aweful. I stopped taking them about three months ago but I still have some muscle pain but nothing like when I was on Statin.

You have made some big changes to your life style which I admire you for. Continue with your healthy diet and take as much exercise as you can when you recover from the effects of Statin. You may consider taking Benecol drinks which are supposed to help lower your chloresterol. Also, do you know what your chloresterol level is?  You seem to be taking a real cocktail of pills, all of which will have side effects. Do you know why you have to take these pills.

I wish you all the best. You should be feeling great after your stent so hope you will soon see the benefits of your life style changes and reduced medication. Please let us know how you get on.

• Posted

It's not rocket science, those are classic negative effects of statins.  You haven't mentioned your cholesterol levels, often statins are prescribed as a matter of routine after a heart attack or even by some doctors to everyone over a certain age as a "preventative measure".

Have you not checked out the manufacturer's own information on the internet?  If you let this continue you may end up with permanent muscle damage.

It's easy to find out if it is the statins:  stop them for a week or two and see if the different pains and fatigue go away:  I'll bet you they will!

I am slowly getting my cholesterol levels down with Psyllium Husks - 3 tsp most mornings in my porridge which in itself is good because of the fibre content.  WARNING:  Don't ever take it dry because it swells immediately on contact with any moisture (eg saliva) and can choke you, and don't take your other medication within an hour or so of the powder because it can prevent absorbtion.

I also try and eat beetroot as often as possible because it also can lower cholesterol levels.   I tried various other "alternative" remedies, in particular capsicum, but they did nothing.

I found life not worth living with the statin effects, but that's up to you.  

It's normal to have a bit of chest discomfort after a stent has been inserted, but what you're experiencing is in my opinion 100% due to the statins.  I don't know what CPK levels are, all I know is that my life is 100000% off statins.  I'll give you  one example:  when I was statins I had 2 cm of firewood delivered (this was last winter on a low dose of statins) and it took me two weeks to get it stacked out of the weather.  Off the statins, the next identical sized load was dealt with in TWO DAYS ... that was enough to convince me!

I also had severe depression on statins AND almost total loss of libido, which is referred to as "erectile disfunction" on the manufacturers' info sheets - I had no success in informing them it affects women too!

Your friends are right, but it's up to you what you do about it.   

About the blood pressure, I got mine down to totally normal levels with exercise (hard when you're so fatigued) and meditation.  I'm considering reducing the Coversyl I was prescribed for my BP down to every second day and seeing what happens:  I have a small BP unit I'll use to monitor it.

All the best, stay in touch with this forum, it's really helpful and empowering.

One last comment, in the 70's the cholesterol level classified as too high was lowered considerably by a US committee, the majority of the members being from guess what?  The pharmaceutical industry!  Sorry I can't give the internet reference for this info, I had it written on a piece of paper which I can't find, but it's quite well know, although apparently not to your doctors.

I hope this helps.and all the best.  Do whatever you think is best for you, but at least give yourself a break from the statins and see what happens.

• Posted

HI Everyone

Thanks for your suggestions and its good to know that its not only me in this agony.

Here is some more information as you have asked. on 26th Feb 2015 my total cholestrol (Chod-PAP) was 104 mg / dl

On 4th Dec 2014

total cholestrol (Chod-PAP) was 91 mg / dl

HDL : 22 mg / dl

LDL : 51.2 ,g / dl

Hope this can throw more light on my issue.

Tomorrow I am going to travel to my home town to visit a doc who also happens to be a close family friend, Hopefully he will suggest me some way out.

As of yesterday I have stopped taking statin and although pain is still not gone but i feel little better for sure.

Thanks everyone for help.

• Posted

Happy to be of assistance and pleased to hear that you're feeling a wee bit better already - WITHOUT STATINS...!!

As for all your cholesterol details  - absolutely irrelevant -  forget cholesterol and get on with your life!

As we get older we need our cholsterol and high cholesterol levels do NOT repeat do NOT cause heart attacks.  Scandanavian research has proved that...so....

Continue with your new lifestyle regime ...eat sensibly - a little of what you fancy does do you good...lol ...and above all -  exercise more eg walk a couple of miles most days and you will live until a ripe old age!!

I will be interested to hear what your family friend and Dr has to say..... if he hasn't been brainwashed by Big Pharma   - like so many GPs have as they're actually being paid these days to prescribe these statins...eek!

All the best to you and keep us posted!

• Posted

Please give references for  your assertions about the Scandinavian research on statins and heart attacks - it's a bit hard to educate our doctors with such a vague reference
    • Posted

You know better than to ask for such info...the last time I tried to quote such specifics...my post was disallowed ..
    • Posted

How would I "know better"?    And are you sure that's why your post was disallowed?    

If that is in fact so, there's not much point in mentioning it, because who's going to make a dill of themselvesf by saying to a doctor that an unnamed person on a forum said some Scandinavian research had proved something or other.     I don't see why you can't give the name of the researchers, or the title of the study - I wasn't asking for a specific link as such as I understand that's a no-no on this forum, although I have no idea why.

• Posted

Glad you are feeling a little better already. Give it a few weeks but it would be good to steer clear of the statin, irrespective of what your doctor says. Good luck and keep walking.
  • Posted

Hi All,

Here is an update.

I saw a doctor who is also a family friend and he suggested that symptoms which I am having can also be side effect of beta blockers but most likely culprit is statin and he suggested I should get off statin for couple of weeks to be sure.

I am off statins now for 5 days now and my shallow pinching pain is almost gone.

I still have fatigue and little pain in some areas but its very bearable and is decreasing every day.

Thanks for suggestion. I will keep this thread posted with events related to this. Hope this will help some one else as well.

• Posted

Well, that's fairly conclusive, isn't it?  Your GP friend is also correct about beta blockers, they can cause fatigue but as far as I know not the other negative effects the statins do.
    • Posted

Quite right ..... Beta blockers can certainly cause exhaustion and tiredness et cetera et cetera but they don't cause the awful pains and aches that the statins have done to you nikhil.

You will find on this forum also a discussion on Bisoprolol - and believe you me it is one of the worst beta-blockers for causing exhaustion - I should know I was on it but it never gave me any pain per se....it just put my BP SO LOW I could not function.  

I suffered it for two years but I'm now back onto my good old-fashioned half Inderal L A  and although I have cold feet and hands at least I am functioning again..lol   So I agree totally with Jude - they don't case pain.  

Just give yourself some more time and the pains will ease ...particularly if you take the ubiquinol - that's the more easily absorbed coenzyme 10  - that will definitely help.

• Posted

I don't take statins any more since last year because life just wasn't worth living, but I'm still taking the Q10 because apparently the levels do drop as we get older.

I was on beta blockers for a year after a heart attack but the cardiologist said I didn't need to keep taking them for ever so I haven't taken them for about 3 years

• Posted

Hi nikhil..... And once again I am not surprised at the result of your confab with your GP friend!

STATINS who needs 'em  - -  nobody in my book!

I am very happy to hear that you're feeling that much better already even after just five days ...great stuff..... keep up the good work and do let us know how you progress.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.