SHARP gas pains 3 weeks after surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had my appendix removed 3 weeks ago. It ruptured slighly and I was in the hospital for a week afterward being treated with large doses of antibiotics to clear up the resulting infection. I am now experiencing very sharp gas pains in my lower stomach, mostly around the area my appendix was and lower down toward my uterus. The pressure is also on my bladder, and peeing is very uncomfortable. The pain is sharp and there is a lot of pressure inside my stomach. Is it normal to have this kind of gas pain after having your appendix removed? Also is there any way I can relieve it? The gas pain is almost as bad as the actual surgery pain was. I'm not passing wind off of the toilet, and when I go to the toilet I usually have a bowel movement which, oddly, doesn't really help the gas pain. Any help at all, anyone?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear that. Having experienced a ruptured appendix myself in June this year and can empathise as it is extremely painful. The trapped gas made me feel like sometimes I was 6 /7 months pregnant because my stomach had distended so much. What they should of advised is that your colon stops working and it does not suddenly start back up at full speed like before your operation. Your colon will take time to recover back to full function. Weight on the bladder sensation was same as me too. If you are atall worried please contact your GP... a raised temperature or increase in pain maybe a sign of further infection that needs more antibiotics... I stayed in for a week after my surgery, got sent home and 24 hours later I was back in hospital in agony. They put me on more intravenus antibiotics to combat the remaining cluster in my abdomen.

• Posted

P.s.. I should add that you are allowed pain relief to help combat your discomfort. My surgery was 7th June and I feel pretty much back to full health as of Tuesday this week (5th August).  
  • Posted

I am going through the same thing at this time, it's been 15 days for me and I am so desperate to find a solution to this. I cannot get comfortable when I lay down to sit down. How long did it take for you to stop feeling gas pain discomfort?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.