Sharp pains after 2 1/2 weeks of rotator cuff repair surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

It's been two weeks and one-half weeks after rotator cuff repair surgery and I seem to have mobility than I thought I would have at this time.  My doctor has insturcted that I wear my sling for another two weeks and then begin PT.  The reason I have started PT is the doctor is pleased with the range of motion in my shoulder after two weeks.

Two weeks I have experinced pain but not sharp piercing type pain, but shortly after two week post op I occassionaly will have a extreme sharp pain in my shoudler, but it only last for a second or two.  The strange thing to me is that this is a pain that I did not have until now. Has anyone experineced this and if so, is this common?   Many thanks, Randall

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi randall.  In my experience, post op pain was sometimes worse than pre op.  It actually went on for well over a year - not as severe of course, but it did take a while to settle.  There were definitely some worrying moments when I experienced an unusual sharp pain, but I guess it's all part of the healing process.  I think if you follow advice and don't try to do too much too soon, it will gradually improve.

• Posted

Is the pain in the same spot each time or does it vary? If it varies, it's likely to be scar tissue or adhesions breaking up

Thx Nick

• Posted

Dear Randall

Not sure exactlly when you first posted but I guess you are now in week 3-4.

I'm at week 6. Yes, I did get a couple of sharp brief pains in my first 2 weeks. My physio says its from trying to do too much too early. It's better to do just 5 reps 5 times a day than pushing for 20 reps, after all we are trying to recover, it's not the gym! My physio calls it 'over-cooking'.

At 6 weeks I find it's much better at night, and has settled down to a general aching, no worse than before I had the surgery. I take 4-6 co-codomols every 24 hrs plus a couple of ibuprofens if I need them.  I've got the added problem that I'm also disabled in the non-operated arm (erbs palsy) so it will take me longer than the normal person to get my abilities back, but very glad I've had the surgery.

Good luck with the physio and take it easy! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.