Shingles

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had shingles in my head early this year. I have now got burning / tingling again in my (r) side of my head again . Could I possibly have shingles again ????? Rash has not appeard but I am v itchy on my head .

3 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Possibly. Shingles can appear without the rash, Herpes San Zoster or some variation of that name.I've had recurring shingles for getting on for nine years now, together with Post Herpetic Nueralgia (the nerve pain often associated with shingles).

After the third episode I was sent for blood tests as my immune system was obviously compromised to eliminate such nasties as HIV, diabesis, etc.

Go to your doctor and get checked out, an immune system deficiency can open the doors to other nasty afflictions such as Polymialgia Rhumatica, which believe me you don't want. (I've got it)

I'm not trying to scare you, just advising you to get checked out so you can take any precautions your doctor can advise.

Steve

• Posted

Hi Steve , I am trying to get a G.P. appointment. I have been unwell for some time now so it would  not suprise me if my immune system was compremised.

Thanks to all for your promt reply's.

Regards

Sharon

• Posted

All people with PMR and GCA are warned that if you come in contact with anyone with Chickenpox or you even suspect you have shingles you should seek medical advice.   Done timeously the medics can prescribe a drug that stops it in its tracks.  If you delay and get the drug too late it won't work.

Go see your GP.

• Posted

Sorry, I didn't bother to read which discussion this thread came in on and assumed it was on the shingles/PHN thread.Seeing as it's on PMR thread I guess you already know what I'm talking about. Best of luck, the two complaints together are not easy to get along with. See your doctor now (if not sooner)
  • Posted

During my recent bout with "shingles" I felt I had them everywhere.  When I told my PMD this he said I more likely was having PHN and not shingles.  The reason for this is, shingles usually follows 1 nerve root and usually only on 1 side of your body.  Also I never had the blisters just tiny red dots on my body.  I have to agree with him.  

Itching is also very common.  

Christine  

• Posted

I find that PHN tends to follow the nerve so the pain is in straight lines.

It does affect both sides of the body and so can shingles as I know to my cost although the doctor didn't believe it until he saw me having a double dose, both right and left side of the back of the neck, two definite nerve roots.

• Posted

I meant to say it follows 1 nerve root at a time.  You could have several nerve roots affected at the same time, though.  
    • Posted

Oh poor you. I have it on one side and it's really horrible. Fourth week now.
    • Posted

Thank you for the sympathy. I found the first nine years to be the worst.

I think that now I may be getting  better as I haven't had an attack of shingles or PHN for a couple of months now, and that's a record (I think)

• Posted

hey i just had my fourth outbreak and this one was so bad i am still feeling bad it hit my whole right side and my backside with one big blister 
  • Posted

Hi 

can any one tell me can your tummy blot with shingles .i have shingles and my tummy hurts all the time .and I am sure it's geting bigger 

Julie 

• Posted

take organic cold pressed coconut oil, topically plus 2 tablespoons 3 x day in tea or juice.  Helps immunity and shingles.
  • Posted

Hi

thanks for that but where do you get the coconut oil from ? 

Julie.

• Posted

Count four days from the start of this new pain.  If you are within four days, you can, and should, ask for the Valacyclovir.  Though you don't have the rash yet, why wait until it is too late?  It is certainly possible to have shingles again and again.  Having had it once, you won't want a repetition.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.