Shingles

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with shingles a few days ago when I saw a rash order my chin.  It has wrapped around my neck and down my chest.  Today I noticed several different spots of itchy rash. This is on both things and one on my right knee.  I am doubting that this is shingles because of the random small patches and the intense itchiness.   It appears more like poison ivy.  This would be my third outbreak. The first one was four years ago with a small patch on my shoulder.  The second was all around my neck right after surgery/stress.   I am on the mess but I am still getting out breaks. Can you get very small and random spots with shingles?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

hi Sudeco

i get recurring shingles - had it 6 times this year ..

always in same area though ... had it twice lately - first crop just about dries and another comes about an inch where last crop was ..

only get a few like as big as a coin .. but normally feel headachey before, and washes out and always pain deep under the rash ..

jay x

• Posted

Hi Sudeco,

Usually, recurrent shingles occurs in the same area or contiguous areas, not sporadic spots. That being said, one must look at the dermatomes, as the Herpes Zoster virus lies on the dorsal or sensory nerve root, ready to multiply when you are stressed or immunocompromised. Also, but not always, it occurs only on one side of your body. There is intense pain, not intense itching. It does not occur in random spots on both sides. It is possible to have both poison ivy and shingles, if the chin and chest rash are one sided and are painful. Were you exposed to poison ivy? Are all the rashes itchy?

I am an NP across the pond and have had Herpes Zoster Ophthalmicus twice and Herpes Zoster Oticus-Shingles recurrent every 2-4 weeks for the last 19 years.

Usually, one has mild flu like symptoms such as malaise, fatigue, low grade fever, headache, aches and pains, prior to onset of pain, then the rash. One has a viremia, actually, and is truly ill. The symptoms can last for weeks.

I hope this helped. Please let me know what you think you have, as we are here to help you.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you for replying. I have now been to 3 doctors.  The first, a dermatologist's PA, diagnosed the shingles.  The 2nd was a GP who said that I didn't have shingles and the 3rd, a doc in an urgent care center also said no to shingles.  I am still having outbreaks but now all over my stomach and under the breasts and also on my legs and my back.  It is a spreading rash. The itch is unbearable, no pain however.  I was in my garden but I don't believe there was any poison ivy....lots of weeds that I pulled.  Perhaps there was some but I didn't see a vine.  I will go to another dermatologist tomorrow .
    • Posted

Hi sudeco

have you touched any hog weed ( cow parsley they also call it ) 

have a look on google at images of it if not sure - thats a weed to watch 

nasty one 

jay x

• Posted

Hi Sudeco,

Sorry you are suffering. ...

Ask for Doxepin (Sinequan) as this is the strongest anti itch medication by prescription. You also need a tapered dose of oral corticosteroids to stop the spread of the rash.

Is the itching much worse at night and are there little tracks? If so, consider the diagnosis of scabies.

Try Aveeno oatmeal baths to get temporary relief from the itching. It works!!!!

Obviously, I am an old hand at soothing itching bodies, including my own.

Please let us know what happens. ...we care

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I was told by two doctors to not take oral steroids.  I have an RX for 2.5 cortisone.   It helps.   I have also tried using aveeno soap and oatmeal bath.   It is no longer on my neck and face but the red spots are all over my abdomen.
  • Posted

My NP daughter diagnosed Shingles months ago, but because she can't treat me I went to my GP. He said Poison Ivy, completely ignoring my pain. He said Shingles are only on 1 side and only one dermatome. Next I saw an ophthalmologist because it was starting in my eye. He also refused to believe me. I moved on to a Derm PA who ignored my claims asking if I'd changed laundry detergent or cologne. An acupuncturist even discounted my symptoms. It has now been nearly 4 months; the Dermatologist finally decided to do biopsies. I received no Meds other than Steroids and finally a silly salve and lotion and nothing to help me sleep. I am exhausted and so tired of "fighting". I wish I could peel off my skin at night. I have had Shingles before and recognize the pain and now the PHN. Doctors need to forget what they learned in med school and listen to their patients. I don't even know for sure if those biopsies will be tested for Shingles or something else, and I must wait for 2 weeks for results. For now I am taking Ativan to cope for lack of anything else. The medical community needs to wake up! These itchy spots have been on both sides and more than one dermatome, and I have missed out on summer completely. It's just wrong! Don't give up yet!
  • Posted

I t was confirmed by the same Dermo NP that I do not have shingles but contact dermatitis.  She stated that I told her it hurt but was not itchy to which I replied " then why did you prescribe anti itch mess....twice?"  I was then prescribed prednisone and had no idea how awful the effects are and that you have to wean off.  I am excellerating the weaning part due to the fact I can't sleep.  The rash is about gone...not the itch, however.   I decided against a biopsy.....will wait to see what happens.  I was told that a repeat case of shingles is VERY rare by three docs.  I don't think I had it last time either but am sure I had it the first time 4 years ago, albeit a very weak case of it. Shingles is awful and I will receive the vaccine in three months.  I am waiting the extra 3 months just in case I did have it several months ago.  I am assuming I had poison ivy or poison something this time as I had been in the yard just two days prior to the outbreak.  In any event, it was an awful experience.  Although I didn't lose the whole summer, I did lose a five day weekend and an opportunity to be with my grandsons.....that is always a big loss to me!

thank you everyone for all of your responses.

• Posted

Please do your homework and read about the vaccine before you get it. You may change your mind and just try to make lifestyle changes, hoping for the best. I have 2 autoimmune diseases, so there's no way I want to risk it. Slowly I am trying to reduce my stress level and how I respond to it. Challenging to say the least. Finding a decent doctor would make a big difference. 
  • Posted

Thank you.   I do believe I have a great doctor and I will certainly consult with her prior to anything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.