shingles

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have diagnosed with shingles. The rash began 4 days ago first on the back of my neck and two days ago on my jawline. Can I expect additional breakouts?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lorie,

I am so sorry for your suffering.

The vesicles-blisters of Herpes Zoster-Shingles usually appear in crops or waves, up to five days after the onset of the initial rash. You have one more day to go regarding the appearance of the rash. I hope your physician placed you on an antiviral immediately, as well as a analgesic. You did not mention your age, but Herpes Zoster-Shingles can be excruciating, especially if you are older. If you are having significant pain that is not relieved by the analgesic prescribed, please ask your physician for a strong Opioid such as oxycodone. Usually, people have accompanying symptoms in the pre-eruptive phase. These symptoms include: headache, fever chills, sweating, aches and pains, malaise, weakness, and fatigue. These symptoms can continue into the rash and pain stage. I am telling you this as many individuals are not told this as certain physicians are abysmally ignorant regarding this disease. If your pain is not under good control now, it ups the risk of developing post herpetic neuralgia.

I hope this has helped you.

Please let me know how I can help you. I am a nurse practitioner in the States. I have had Herpes Zoster Oticus in my right ear every three to five weeks for the last 20 years. I understand this disease and the importance of excellent pain control.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry,  I am 52. Actually, there hasn't been much pain. It is only sore if I touch the area. I'm not sure if I'm getting off easy, or if the worst is yet to come. I am taking a steriod and an antiinflammatory. He also gave me a pain med, but I only tok one dose.
    • Posted

Hi merry u replied to me when I first had shingles 4 weeks ago. I'm going on my 5th week. The blisters have all healed but I still have red blotches and alot of pain in my shoulder. Should I b concerned about this. I cannot even hardly sleep on my left side
    • Posted

Karla,

As you still have the pain in your shoulder, ( the neuropathic pain, not typical joint pain) I would see your physician today and ask for either Neurontin or Lyrica that will help reduce the Neuropathic or electric, pain, that it severe. When you cannot sleep, it it is time to see the doctor. I would also ask for an Opioid such as oxycodone. This is entering the post herpetic neuralgia phase, and you want to eradicate the pain now.

Let me know how you make out.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Lori. What age are you? Shingles often strikes when we're a bit older, like over 50. If you were given anti virals within 72 hours of rash appearing they might have stopped the rash getting worse. It usually lasts about 2-4 weeks then the spots  should be drying up and you are no longer infectious. The post herpetic neuralgia, PHN can then start bothering you with needle like nerve pains, aching etc in the area where the rash was. Everyone is different in the way they recover from shingles but keep posting on here, I'm sure you will get lots of help and advice on how to cope. Best wishes, Pollyanna.
    • Posted

Thank you! I am 52. I first started itching and felt welps on the back of my neck, which I could not see. So I didn't go to the doctor until 3 days later.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.