Shingles

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've found out today this morning I sat next to someone who thinks he might have shingles. I currently taking methotrexate and steroids. Does anyone know my risk

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Not very high at all. Did you have chicken pox as a child?

You cannot "catch" shingles. You can only develop shingles if YOU have had CP in the past. The virus becomes dormant once you have fought off the CP and remains in nerve endings in various parts of the body, mainly around your waist. Something, no-one knows what, reactivates it and shingles develops. 

Theoretically, if you have not previously had CP, you COULD catch CP from the person who has shingles - but it is exceedingly rare. You would have had to have been in very close contact, their rash would have had to be broken and exposed and you would have had to touch it. If they didn't have the rash at the time it is very very unlikely.

If you think you may be developing any of the symptoms of shingles (or chicken pox) then go to your doctor and tell them. They should prescribe antiviral medication. This won't stop the shingles but should make the symptoms shorter and less severe. It doesn't work in advance, only once the symptoms are appearing, showing the virus is active.

In the case of CP it is possible to give medication that could stop it by administering immunoglobulin but it is only done for people who are at a very high risk as it is exceedingly expensive and in very short supply (which is why it costs a lot!). 

If you are concerned do talk to your doctor - but there shouldn't be much risk at all.

• Posted

Thank you for your advice. It's put me at ease

• Posted

On methotrexate and just getting over shingles ok its since July but nearly there if you think you are infected just stop the metho and see your doctor
  • Posted

methotrexate and steroids can make one susceptible to catching chickenpox if they have never had chickenpox OR susceptible to coming down with shingles if you have previously had chickenpox and you have not had a shingles vaccine.

But remember not every exposed person will become ill each time they are exposed.

kind regards

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.