Shingles

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, I have posted on here before.....last summer I battled cystits caused by strep b.....because I had reactions to antibiotics I was told there was really nothing that can be done and was reffered to a urologist....I had been in discomfort on and off for roughly 6 months and the urologist told me that he would not treat it because I wasn't pregnant or diabetic........so I took matters in my own hand and researched every way possible to battle this thing.  Thank goodness the last two months I have had clear cultures and I was back working to build up immune system......unfortunately that came to a halt as I developed shingles now.....I asked the doctor could this have been brought on from untreated strep b and she said absolutely....grrrr.....I guess no fault of anyone as I am extrememly sensitive to antibiotics or any type of medication......so now I am on a new journey.  If there is anyone out there that has any good natural rememdy to relieve the pain from shingles, I would greatly appreciate it.

3 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda. You should read as many of the older posts on Shingles as you can, loads of them on this forum. I'm sure Merry will come on and speak to you, she's the expert having them herself for some years. I hope you received and took the antivirals as they are needed within 72 hours of rash appearing. Strong pain meds and something for nerve pain when it appears. I don't know of anything in natural remedies but others might. Good luck. rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Linda,

Sorry for your suffering with cystitis from strep B and now Shingles.

May I ask exactly what type of reaction you have with Penicillin and the Cephalosporins, as those are the two classes of drugs you usually use to treat Strep B. Strep B is not a benign organism and can cause individuals to develop pyelonephritis and urosepsis. I have severe reactions ie. Anaphylaxis to many antibiotics, but always have my infections treated with antibiotics. I had urosepsis due to Strep B, and obviously was critically ill.

May I ask the location of the shingles? and your age? How long you have had the Shingles, and the extent of the vesicle-blisters. Do you have any other diseases or conditions such as epilepsy, liver, heart, kidney, autoimmune conditions?

Are you taking any medications currently?

I have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles every three to five weeks in my right ear for the past twenty years and twice in my right eye.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the US.

Best wishes.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  Penicillin I get a severe rash, amoxillian I get swollen throat and severe itching, and cephelaxin, I had sever pain, c-diff, fever, and rash....I am going this summer to an allergist who specializes in antibiotic allergy and my hopes is to become desensitized so one day I may be able to take something if an infection surfaces.  I never had issues with antibiotics until my mid thirties.  The last two urine cultures are cleared (2 months)....despite my pain, they did not treat and said strep b wasn't a concern unless I was pregnant or diabetic..I must mention that there was no WBC or RBC found in microscopic test.....I stressed for months with worry about getting kidney infection or worse sepsis, and I think that is why I landed here with shingles.....stress for 5 months!!!!!  I was able to combat it, with help through naturalpath, but it cost me hundreds and hundreds of dollars an months of pain.  After strep I worked very hard healing my immune system.....but now here we are in this situation.  I was given an antiviral medication it was very strong 800mg 5 times a day for 7 days, but 2 and a half days into it I developed swollen throat and a drug rash (not the same as the shingle rash I have now) I called the pharmacist and she told me to stop because the rish of having a severe reaction was far worse than not being on an antiviral, I personally don't think it was working anyway, as the rash kept spreading and the pain was not getting any better..She told me to take an antihistamine so I did and within a few hours the drug rash started to fade...the pharmacist told me that the anti viral doesn't clear up the infection or kill the virus, but it helps to relieve the pain and shorten the outbreak by a couple of days......but again I felt no relief.  I do have pain meds that I take when I feel the worst....the pain comes and goes thank goodness.  I am in my early forties, and my hormones started to change when the strep b surfaced that is when all this started....I am starting the beginning phase of perimenopause.  I am sorry to hear you have so much trouble with shingles, the doctor I saw said it was very unlikely that I would have a reoccurance.....I sure hope she is right, I would love to have a break from pain.  I am not taking any medications, I try to take alternative methods because I have no side effects or reactions that way.

• Posted

Also forgot to say my shingles are under my right breast and travels towards my back to shoulder blade.
    • Posted

Linda,

My suggestion for the pain is the following: Ask the pharmacist for the highest percentage of Lidocaine or Benzocaine in a cream, not gel or alcohol as it will burn. You are probably aware that these are numbing medications that you apply topically to the vesicle-blisters.

Use cool/cold compresses, never warm or hot to the area. This helps reduce the circulation to the area/ numbs the area.

I use ear drops containing Benzocaine every time I have Herpes Zoster-Shingles.

You need to rest and sleep as much as possible. You cannot power through this.

Avoid using your arm on the affected side as any movement will cause increase surges of lancinating pain.

I too developed multiple severe allergies to many medications. My allergy list is 14 medications and many foods.

The antivirals stop the DNA virus from replicating further, so that the Herpes Zoster-Shingles episode is not as painful, and the duration is shorter. They do help. The reaction you had certainly sounded ominous.

Do you have Prednisone or

Prednisilone at home for allergic reactions, as well as Benadryl? Also, an EpiPen?

I have no other ideas for obtaining relief for you, but when I have run out of Opioids, the Benzocaine ear drops are very soothing for me...

Any movement can precipitate a more exaggerated pain response than normal. This is why you need to rest and sleep.

Wear soft, comfortable clothing, cotton, no bra, as you won't be able to stand it there.

I hope this helps...

I have never been able to discover why I have a hypersensitivity to medications, and my identical twin does not. We are highly concordant with our medical diseases, otherwise. I am 65 now, and the allergic reactions started to multiply in my forties. FYI

Best Regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you so much Merry......I did get that numbing nerve cream from the pharmacist and that does help.  I do not have an epi pen....if I did I would be more likely to push through with antibiotics.......I do have Benedryl and take it as soon as I get a reaction.....but not sure Benedryl works for anaphylactic.  I have been resting since the rash surfaced, last week when I was having the soreness I didn't know what was happening as I have never had shingles before, but it was Thursday where I could no longer wear a bra.....Do you know how long an outbreak usually?  Interesting you were in forties that you started not to tolerate mess, my natural path said it could be liver causing it....I have been doing liver detox here and there, but doesn't eek to matter.  I think as we get older and our hormones change it can cause our bodies to react differently...but just my simple opinion.   All I know since I am in. The start of perimenopause I have had a lot of different things happen that I never experienced before.

• Posted

The rash from start of the outbreak to the scabbing over of the last vesicle-blisters should last no more than 28-30 days. You are not infectious if the lesions are covered with clothing, but when the last vesicle-blister has scabbed over, you are no longer contagious to anyone. ..

Unfortunately, the devastating effects of the pain, mental fog, exhaustion, and fatigue can last for months, even a year or more.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Okay thanks, that sounds very discouraging.  So far when the pain started I am on 7 days, the blister sore rash has been 5 days so it sounds like I have a long road to go.  To top it off I caught my sons cold virus, so I am feeling even more exhausted.  I am thankful that I am at home and can rest when I feel I need it, but still have kids to care for so not completely able to sleep it off....Thanks for all your help as this is a new one for me and hopefully a one time thing.....Going to work hard and get my immune system back on track and rest more, and de stress if that is possible.
    • Posted

Also I meant to ask, when you take antibiotic, how do you take them with such severe allergic reactions?  Are you given an epi-pin?
    • Posted

Linda,

Fortunately,

I am not allergic to all antibiotics, just certain ones...It is easier to inform the Physicians which ones I can take based on culture and sensitivity LOL

I had EpiPens in the past, but the epinephrine deteriorates quickly, and they are expensive, even with the co-pay....I keep Prednisone and Benadryl in the house and have it in my purse when I eat out and travel. It saved me from going to the ER once and missing a ballet performance with my twin, my son and her son. I treated them to wonderful seats to the NYC ballet, and a great dinner before the performance. I had an anaphylactic reaction to sulfites in one tiny sip of white wine. Fortunately, I had the medications as I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me re horrible allergies and itching(until that sip). I took 160mg of Prednisone- a huge dose, but I could breathe, and made it to the performance...

• Posted

I will have to talk to doctors if they are to prescribe me meds, to perhaps prescripe prednisone as well.  I am in a situation where running to ER is not as easy, as I care for two children with autism spectrum disorder.....so it is not easy.  Thankfully the last time I had a reaction and had to go to ER someone was here to help me, they gave me a shot of Benedryl.  I try my best to ward off infections, but the strep b I think colonated and grew out of control......due to hormonal changes, and stress I am sure.....if I can keep that under control and keep my life stresses at ease, I should see a turn around.  I will be glad when I see the allergist this summer and hopefully he can desensitize me that I can take something with ease, if needed.  I prefer not to as antibiotics and meds can do their own damage is used too much.
    • Posted

My son has learning disabilities, was in special education, and had friends with Asbergers Syndrome. He has a unique mind. Are you a single parent? I was, and it was difficult, at times, although we were far better off without the former husband involved. When you are sick, and still need to function, that is when things become very different as there are very few people willing to pick up the slack.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Yes I agree, I am not a single parent,but my husband works very long hours so I can stay home with our kids.  I am the one who is usually run down because looking after them, doing therapy with them, running to appointments and school meetings and looking after the home and running errands.....when they get sick I pick up what they bring home, so I am the one that gets the brunt of it, I have had years of sleep deprivation, and I think the years have caught up because it seems harder for me to fight things off or heal fast.  I am seeing a natural path who has done a lot of blood work and we are trying to get my vitamin deficiency up, also I am going to look into acupuncture to help with chronic back pain and pelvic pain.  I am seeing a urologist and gynocoligist but have had no answers with regards to what is causing another issue I have been experiencing.  I am trying to look after myself better so I can be the best I can be for our kids.  I think all of this new stuff has brought on a lot of stress which produced shingles.

I like you have very little support when it comes to getting someone to come in and help....definately not easy when one is not feeling their best for sure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.