Shingles for the Umpteenth Time!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 25 Weeks pregnant, and have had shingles now twice in a row, less than a month apart. I was originally diagnosed with Shingles in 2013 when i woke up one Sunday with a rash of blister on my foot that i thought i was going to die from the pain. I had a car accident the year before and had Septisemia on EXACTLY the same spot where the shingles occurred. The doctor told me that due to the damage to the nervous system on my foot, the trauma cause my body to react with shingles. He told me to rest and let it go away by itself. Since then i have had it so many times that i have lost count. Every time the pain and the blisters are worse. Everytime i go to the doctor they want to test me for immune diseases and even though i have been tested and cleared of everything from herpes to everything else, they still tell me that its impossible for the shingles to return after having it once. That is such bogwash and i am so fedup with doctors not really knowing what it is or how to treat it so they misdiagnose you or tell you to change your life style. I am healthy and young, but when i get shingles i feel like i want to die. I even told my husband to ask the doctor to amputate my leg from the hip down. Now that i am pregnant it seems to have hit me even worse. The sharp sensitive shooting pain is on the inside of me leg and i can barely walk. Its horrible. And the blisters, oh my they have left so many horrible scars i dont even want to wear open shoes anymore. I hate this and wish that some kind of doctor that is worth being called a doctor can offer treatment and advise that is actually usefull for a change. Wishing you all the best of luck in health and recovery. I feel your pain!!!!! sad 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My Dear Blom,

I am so sorry you are suffering, especially with your pregnancy.

I too have had Zoster-Shingles TMTC,( too many times to count) in my right ear every three to five weeks for the last 19 years. The first time I wanted to cut my inner ear out. I am immunocompromised, but it wasn't discovered then, although I already "knew" I had mild Lupus.

You need to get on antivirals the minute you feel the pain starting, not wait until the rash appears. The pain and disease is attenuated or lessened. I would ask for famvir, rather than Acyclovir, as it is more efficacious. Most physicians are abysmally ignorant regarding Herpes Zoster and recurrence. As you are pregnant, I do not know what trimester you are in, but I would ask for an opioid for the excruciating pain. I know that with the pain and rash you suffer from also aches and pains, headache, fever, malaise, weakness, fatigue, chills and sweating, prior to, during, and the weakness and fatigue after the pain and rash have dissipated.

I hope this helps. I am going to look up the use of antivirals during pregnancy and write further. I will send this, though

Best Regards.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Dear Blom,

Sorry, You are 25 weeks pregnant. Ignore my comment regarding what trimester you are in...

Excellent news!!! Famvir is category A in pregnancy meaning SAFE!!! I was pretty certain, but I always triple check myself...

You need to get on it right away as prophylaxis to prevent more outbreaks. Find an infectious disease expert if you must. Perhaps your obstetrician will prescribe it.

I understand the pain and suffering from this excruciating disease and the fear of it returning.

Please let me know how you do. I am a nurse practitioner in the States and truly care about the people I try to help.

Best Regards,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Merry,

You are a sweet soul. I've read many of your replies, and thank you for keeping all of us aware and up to date. 

Sierramar

• Posted

I wish I could care for you all in the UK, as I know the disease so well... the physicians seem to not keep up on the latest or listen to the patients, that is for certain. I know I have had two strokes due to this disease. I am more susceptible to strokes as the Zoster is in my ear and eye. ( Please don't worry about yourself getting a stroke. )

Do keep me posted, however

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Dear Merry Juliana

Thank you for your replies. It is wonderful knowing that someone understands and cares. I have been to so many doctors within the last two years and it feels like the one understands less than the other. One doctor even told me to get tested for HIV and Herpes and traeted me like i am a disease myself. I have had every test in the book and i am healthy apart from the shingles. I have no reason other than the accident hich originally caused the trauma to my foot and the stress of septisemia that triggered it. Since then, every small onset of stress (especially emotional), or if i am slightly sick from Flu, i know to expect it. I have taken Famvir before, but now during my pregnancy the doctors are reluctant to prescribe it and i reluctant to use it. I have decided to cover the horrible rash on my foot with a surgical breathable plaster, because 1. it has spread onto other parts of my foot (for the first time ever!) and it is so painful and unsightly. Unfortunately i speak from experience that when covering and traeting like a wound, it leaves HORRIBLE scars. But at this point i can not afford to have it spread further. I feel like an old woman. I am 31 but i cant walk from the pain. Nevermind the blisters, the stabbing and jabbing burning pain that shoots up my leg everytime i move is unbearable, And yes, headaches, fatigue and just feeling plain awful. The worst for me, honestly is the treatment (or lack thereof) that i get from Doctors. They all say it is impossible to return after youve had it once, there is something else wrong with you. i have decide to not even seek medical help unless it gets to the point where i can no longer cope. I fear the damage to my nervous system however, as i can feel my body changes everytime i get it. Thank God my husband is so very understanding and compassionate. He doctors me and treats me like a porcelain doll. Thank you for your moral support and motivation. I sincerely appreciate it! 

Blom

• Posted

Dear Blom,

Perhaps a Lidocaine patch would help. I use Auralgon Ear Drops, which are topically applied. The ear drops help reduce the pain as it contains benzocaine, a local anesthetic, which is similar to lidocaine.

Best regards,

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.