Shingles in the eye

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have just been diagnosed with shingles for the first time. Feels as though I have a boulder in my eye and the pain shooting through my head is excruciating. Have got a few blisters around my eye and am praying my eye sight will not be affected. Am taking Aclivor, Paracetamol and an anti inflammatory. Have noticed as the day goes on and I take more pills the pain eases. Early mornings are worst and I have to get up and take more pills

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I've also got shingles in my eye and also on my scalp, forehead and nose. Went to the hospital yesterday and was prescribed antiviral tablets and antiviral cream for application to the eye.

The pain from the blisters is bad but the migraine type headache is unbearable. Still have a few days of this left and hope the pain eases soon.

• Posted

Hi, I can sympathise with you on this one,I was diagnosed with shingles in my right eye 8 weeks ago. I woke up one morning and my eyelids were badly swollen and it felt like I had a huge splinter in my eye. I work in a chemical laboratory so when I managed to drive the short distance to work I tried to wash my eye with saline solution, obviously nothing happened. So, I went to my GP who referred me to an optician who was trained to spot conditions such as Irititis, she sent me straight to the eye casualty department where the consultant very quickly diagnosed Herpes Zoster Opthalmicus, he called his colleagues in for a good look as they hadn't seen the condition so clearly for a long time apparently. Anyway, I was prescribed aciclovir in tablet form and zovirax for my skin and steroid drops for my eye. For 3 weeks I was in constant pain, a pain I can't describe it was so severe. The virus has been beaten but I have now been diagnosed with Post-herpetic Neuralgia and suffer constant pain which varies from a dull, weak ache to a deep, intense banging/throbbing pain around my eye and brow, accompanied by bolts of shooting pain across my head,it feels like someone is hitting me on the head with a hammer from the inside. I am taking Tramadol, pregablin and steroid drops but the pain comes regardless. I've had a lot of time off work and as I do work with hazardous chemicals I cannot go back until I am 100% better, however I have been told that this condition may take years to go away, I am seriously worried about my job, losing my house and paying my bills as statutory sick pay doesn't even cover my rent. It's a desperate situation that I wouldn't wish on anyone, I hope you both recover very quickly, best wishes.

• Posted

I'm coming up on my 1 yr. Anniversary of having the shingles on my face and eye. When I was diagnosed with the shingles, but I thought I had a reaction from a yard pesticide I was using as I am an avid gardener. I was having sharp (knife like) stabbing pains in my left eye and there was a blister above my left eyebrow that looked like a blister from a sun burn. I went to the Doctor right away as the pain in my eye was getting worse. The Doctor quickly diagnosed me with the shingles and said I had a severe case of it. I was given an antibiotic for the shingles virus and the Doctor gave me a full round of Vicodin and Gabapentin. Then I was to see an eye Doctor as the pain went into my nose area and they were afraid I would have it in my eye and you can go blind from it. I did have it in my left eye.

From the top of my scalp to the end of my nose and all the left side of my face was affected by the virus. The eye Doctor put me on PrednisoLone eye drops and Zirgan eye gel. He also said I had 6 eye ulcers resulting from the shingles virus and eye scaring. I passed out from the pain in the eye doctor’s chair. The blisters covered my face within three days of the diagnose. The pain was immediate and I pretty well lost it three different times. I bathed my face in a bowl of ground oatmeal and vinegar. Then followed that with Aloe Vera gel and took my Vicodin and Gabapentin every three hours. I was bedridden for 30 days.

The face washing with the oatmeal and vinegar and then the Aloe gel would soothe my face burning and allowed me to rest. The itching and pain lasted for months. I was on Gabapentin for 6 months; however that had many side effects so I had to drop the Gabapentin. I have not been able to return to work (Property Manager) due to the constant pain. At my 6 months checkup my eye Doctor said the eye scaring I would have forever and that my eye prescription had dramatically changed in my left eye. What I can tell anyone who has the shingles to the face and eye is that it is unbelievably painful and the pain doesn’t go away as fast as the doctor’s say it will. When they tell you that the shingles virus damaged the large nerve in your face, they aren’t kidding. You will have face and eye pain for months, maybe years.

I have learned that I cannot go outside into the sunlight without wearing very dark sun glasses; otherwise the eye pain starts in again. I have had to dim the brightness on my TV, phone and I have shear curtains to all windows to keep the lighting in the house calm and not hurt my eye. I wash my face several times a day and keep a heavy moisturizer on it. I didn’t wear any makeup for 8 months. Even now the makeup is light and by about three hours I am taking it off again. Life as I once knew it is no more. ANY stress and I am right back at having pain again. My Doctor said I was to not strain my eye doing computer work and that he doubted if I could return to my career as the stress level would not be good for me. There aren’t very many stories of people suffering from face shingles, so I was happy to read a few on this forum. Thank you to all the people out there that wants to share their story with others.

I hope I have helped maybe one in knowing you can find ways of dealing with your pain. Simple home remedies and yes pain meds will get you through the bad times. Hang in there and know you are not alone.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with SHINGLES on the 9th of January. It's in my eye and right side of my face. I'm 36 and was told I'm pretty young for them, was also told stress could have brought them on. I have a history of panic attacks and tight after Thanksgiving after moving to a new town and cleaning my life up getting my son here in Tennessee with and signing a new lease, or apt complex caught fire. I don't even own a car, I walk back and forth to worth. Thankfully I found another apt close to work but starting over again has been incredibly stressful. I work my butt off for my son and I've done a long way in the last year and now I've been hit with the SHINGLES and I'm a month pay on rent due to getting back on my feet and now with this I've missed two weeks of work. They are healing. I go to the eye Dr every day because they worry about me losing my sight. They check my eye per

• Posted

Sorry didn't mean to pay that yet. They check my pressure daily and it's gone down. I've busted to blood vessels. But everything is healing and looking better. I should be back at work next week. I was back in the ER today. I have a history of migraines and the pressure in my head is the worst I've ever had they said it might be one of the eye drops they have me on so I stopped it today and I go back tomorrow to see if the pain has eased up. I'm stressing about losing my place now, you would think they would give me something for anxiety since stressed brought this on. I just can't believe my luck and all I do is work and I've really come so far and I've been so proud of myself. I don't even have insurance yet in this state should have it next month. Thankfully the Dickson eye clinic has been amazing at working with me and they really do care about their patients, I've seen two drs there and both have such a heart, it's been a long time since I've met Drs like this. I walk back and forth to the eye clinic and feel like I look like a zombie with the SHINGLES Being on my face, they don't make me feel so ashamed there at all. I can't wait to get back to normal life. I've really had to adjust to different ways to sleep, different lighting when watching TV and being in the house. I was really thankful to come across this page and read others that have went through exactly what I'm dealing with. Thank you.

• Posted

Forgive my typos, my sight isn't the best right now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.