Shingles left hubbie wheelchair bound

Posted , 3 users are following.

My husband has large b-cell lymphoma.  In March he had a shingles attack, put on valtrex and  that's about all I remember. He finished his chemo treatments late may. He started having fevers of 100.5 to 102. We went to the hospital, as directed (low white count) and the source was not found. Fevers continued for about 3 weeks. He was complaining that when he walked it felt like he was walking on rocks, also started to complain of pain in the right leg. He was admitted to the hospital July 5 for 2 weeks looking for the source of the fevers.  No source was ever found. We noticed a ugly sore very dark in color that grew to about a 50 cent piece on his knee.  No one seemed to be concerned over the sore, or the pain he was complaining of.  During that visit, he had the family dr who additmitted him, cancer dr, lung dr, heart dr, kidney dr   They did do a biopsy of the lung and decided that by the time they got there the source of the fevers was gone and he was discharged. Three weeks later finally, they sent us to a dermatologist to have a biopsy of the sore on the knee. By this time the shingles rash had reappeared with a vengeance on his right buttocks groin thigh the biopsy came back disminiated shingles. He was hospilitized for 26 days when discharged he was confined to a wheelchair. His right leg as he describes it is almost useless. He can't walk. So we have had to remodel the shower so he can roll in, get handicap toilets, just got a scooter....his life has been turned upside down in a month due to shingles he has PHN in the right leg with muscle weakness I guess...we can't seem to find a dr who seems to help him other than just listen. Took him to the VA and mid November they scheduled an appt with a neurologist. Praying we can find someone to help so he can walk again.  No one seems to have ever seen or heard of this before the VA told us this happens to .9% of all people who get shingles. Guess he needs to buy a lotto ticket sad. Praying someone here has heard of this before and can point us in the right direction 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Forgot to say the wound nurse will discharge this week. His buttocks and thigh look like a burn victims 
  • Posted

Hi Ladycne. Disseminated shingles can happen to anyone who has cancer among other illness'. I read about it but cannot help much. If 'Merry Juliana' see your post I think she will come on and and tell you more about it as she's a nurse and has had similar probs herself. Best wishes to both of you, Pollyanna UK

• Posted

Hello Ladycne,

I am so sorry for your husband's suffering and pain, the dissemination of Herpes Zoster-Shingles, and the Topsy Turvy life changes you and he are experiencing.

I apologize for being incommunicado, but my identical twin was in the ICU after neurosurgery, and I was caring for her in the medical center. We just brought her home and I have better internet reception.

Whenever an individual has cancer, or is immunocompromised, the risk of Herpes Zoster-Shingles, and the dissemination of this disease increases greatly.

The neurologist, if s-he is excellent can prescribe a cocktail of medications to decrease the severe pain your husband is experiencing.

I would push for physical therapy until your husband sees the neurologist just to maintain the function of the affected leg.

Is your husband in severe pain currently? What medications for pain is he taking? He is also on chemotherapy for the lymphoma, correct? What other medical conditions does he have? How old is he?

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the US and have Herpes Zoster-Shingles every three to five weeks for the past twenty years in my right ear and twice in my right eye. I have breast cancer and autoimmune diseases. I understand the agonizing pain of Herpes Zoster-Shingles and also the ramifications of the inability to walk due to neuro problems....other issues, but believe me, I get it....

Also, where do you live?

These questions are to help guide you and your husband...

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.