Shingles or excema

Posted , 5 users are following.

I recently have been experiencing pain in my left hip left leg and foot. Along with that I have  gotten an itchy bumpy rash on the inside of my left ankle and right above my tailbone. I can't see the one on my tailbone but I can tell it has changed from a couple days ago. I went to the dr yesterday and she said it was not shingles because it was at the center of my tailbone and neither rash was weeping. She says it's execema  I don't think I buy the diagnoses. Any thoughts?

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

I wouldn't either. This from someone who was also recently misdiagnosed! Please get back you another doctor. It strongly resembles shingles and getting the antivirals in time is crucial. The worst pain, if it is shingles may still be days away so getting on top of this with a good doctor to prescribe pain meds and/or supplementary meds can make a huge difference.

• Posted

I'm glad that you said that Babs. It was my initial reaction too. I only hesitated because I wasn't quite sure.

My latest experience has confirmed to me the need to be on antivirals at the earliest possible juncture. There was an issue in getting my prescription and it was delayed for a few days. I now have PHN, which could and should have been avoided!

• Posted

Dear Kobinme,

The Herpes Zoster-Shingles can be on the tailbone. It is a misnomer that Herpes Zoster-Shingles doesn't cross the midline at all. What type of pain are you having in your left hip leg and foot?

Is it an acute onset? Where is the pain exactly on the left hip, leg, and foot....I am trying to see if it corresponds to a dermatome. Is it aching like arthritis, or burning, lancinating pain.

How old are you?

Shingles rashes are vesicles-blisters, on red base, coming out in crops or waves over a period of five days where the pain is. The rash does not weep.

The rash and pain/itch symptoms are preceded by the following symptoms: headache, fever, chills and sweating, aches and pains, malaise, fatigue and exhaustion.

I would take a mirror and look at the tailbone and tell me what type of rash.

Eczema can look irritated, red, scaley, and have a few bumps on it. It is usually helped by emollients and corticosteroids.

Please tell me exactly where and what type of rash you have. Is it a burning itch, or just itchy.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States and have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twenty years and twice in my right eye.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hello Merry, from what I am hearing about shingles there are not multiple breakout locations like I have (ankle, calf, above tailbone, and left buttock. Also my pain is more of a dull pain with intermittent sharper but not stabbing, tingling pain. I had 2 areas of rash yesterday and 2 more have developed today. It's mostly a read dime to nickle sized itchy raised red patch. They are appearing in the area where I am having the pain. Advil does seem to control the pain. I am now wondering if maybe it's staph.... I am 56 by the way.

Terri

• Posted

Oh, I have the most pain in my foot and especially at night should I get up to use the restroom...it is extremely painful on the top of my foot.

Terri

• Posted

Hi Terri,

The rash follows areas called dermatomes innervated by the nerve roots of the brain and spinal cord. In your case, it is either dermatome L5-S1. Outside ankle, correct? All on left side...ignore what your physician said about the tailbone, Herpes Zoster-Shingles can cross the midline. As the pain/itching is where the rash is, please go to urgent care today and get antivirals. This is Herpes Zoster-Shingles. It isn't eczema. You need to start on the antiviral STAT!.. The pain is going to get worse, and you need to stop the virus from replicating. As the rash is coming out in crops, on the dermatome, where the pain/itching is- in crops or waves, I guarantee you that is classic Herpes Zoster-Shingles....please Google Dermatome, and you will see L4 S1 Dermatome and understand what I mean...

Ask for the antiviral Famvir.

Please let me know how you are doing!

All my best!

MERRY JULIANA

• Posted

Terri,

It can also come out on more than one dermatome! The virus does not read or follow the text book description! The fact that you have pain is diagnostic of Herpes Zoster-Shingles.

Merry Juliana....

• Posted

Also please make certain you get something stronger than Ibuprofen or Naprosyn or Acetaminophen for pain....

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you Merry, I will try again at the clinic and see what can get. Appreciate your concern and taking the time to respond to my message. Have a good evening.

Terri

• Posted

I had back  and chest pain but nothing too severe for about 24 hours. We can a half later I noticed that I had barely even a couple of tiny bumps on my back and thought this couldn't of been shingles couldn't? I had actually diagnosed it and my father and my husband and with my healthcare background thought I would recognize it.  However two weeks later I developed a patch on my breast. I then had increasing pain the next five days, finally got into the doctor within diagnosed my shingles. It's been a very long three months. The truly intense pain really didn't start  until about a week after that second patch. I too thought you couldn't get two separate areas of a rash because nobody else appear to mention that in these forums. But since then I've read of this happening to other people also including a close friend. 

• Posted

Apologize for the typos above.  I'm using speech to text is it's difficult to type on my iPad. That second sentence is supposed to say a week and a half liter I had barely noticed. I know it's difficult to hear this but please take it from those of us who could not get the medication in time or have anything on hand to deal with the intense pain until it got too late.

• Posted

Thanks Babs. I am going this morning and insisting on a test. I have 5 more spots on the back of my calf this morning.
    • Posted

Good morning Merry, just came from the clinic with a positive diagnosis for shingles. Thank you for encouraging me to go back again. I have meds in hand now. Can I give this to my husband?
    • Posted

Dear Terri,

I am glad you went back! Did you get something stronger than acetaminophen or Ibuprofen for the pain? I am not certain where you live.

Physicians are reluctant to prescribe Opioids to shingles patients now, even though Herpes Zoster-Shingles is one of the most painful conditions known to mankind.

Cool compresses help.

Creams containing Lidocaine or Benzocaine are very helpful to apply to the rash topically. Ask your pharmacist for the cream with the highest percentage.

You need to rest and sleep. You cannot power through this. This is a nasty virus circulating in your body. Please have your husband do the household chores.

If your husband never had chickenpox before, he can catch chickenpox if your lesions are not covered. If the vesicles-blisters are covered by clothing, pants and socks, he cannot catch chickenpox. He cannot catch shingles as that comes from having had chickenpox.

Please let me know how you are doing.

Go back to the clinic if you need something for the pain.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

She said they would prescribe pain meds should i need them. She also said my husband could get shingles from me but I had read that he can't. He has had chicken pox. Sometimes I feel Dr's are just robots regurgitating info fed to them. I knew on Friday she had the wrong diagnosis of eczema... that's how I found this forum because I was seeking my own answers. I will check out the creams. Where do I send your check for medical advice lol! Have a great day!

Terri

• Posted

I'm glad you've been able to get accurate information. Sometimes the medical profession can be a joke! 

I hope you're soon on the road to recovery. In the meantime, take care and take it *very* easy!

• Posted

Terri,

Your Physician is misinformed...

Your husband is safe from contracting chickenpox from you. One gets Herpes Zoster-Shingles from the varicella virus hibernating on the nerve root and it becomes activated when your immune system is stressed or weaker. You have to already been infected with chickenpox to get shingles. Basic information for a medical professional...

Your getting better is payment enough !

Keep me posted

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks David, so appreciate everyone being so willing to reach out to me. I will keep you updated. Thanks again everyone!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.