Shingles? Please help 😞

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ok so I'm going crazy...I woke up 3 days ago and felt sick, weak like I was getting the flu then next day that was gone and my left side of my face was on fire!!!! Eye hurts and nose and lip and along hairline. Went to er, they suspect shingles but not sure bc no rash....I started anti viral meds bc I'm freaking out as I have a 4 month old and 7 yo. 😞 I have a bad headache and severe itching burning left side of face only for 3 days now anyone experienced this? Also I've never had chicken pox only vaccine when I was little...I'm 28

Thank you!!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

The good news is that you got the anti-virals right away, this can greatly limit your symptoms or side effects. It does sound like shingles and you don't always get a major or any rash. That's what happened to me--I only had pain so I didn't get to the doctor in time.

So let's think positive. If you've read the posts, you know how difficult this can be (I joined this group two months ago when I sought help with my new case). You may not go through what some of us have. If you concern is your children getting ill, it is NOT airborne or "contagious" in the usual sense. People have to come in contact with the open blisters and then they may contract chicken pox, not shingles.

If you have help, family, spouse etc, try and rest as much as possible. Yes I know it's hard, but the symptoms tell you that you have a virus in your body, so you need help to try and heal. Try Tyenenol or Advil for the pain and headaches. I never had itching, just the pain, so I can't give much advice on that. I'm sure others will be chiming in shortly who have been here much longer than I have.

There are other meds such as Neurontin (Gabapentin) or Lyrica and sometimes opioids that are prescribed for shingles. The first two may also help the body heal, not just block the nerve pain. You may want to ask your doctor. You should contact your regular doctor too, as an ER Doc can't really do follow-up. You may need them to see you to monitor this and order other meds.  There are similarites in everyone's shingles, but also a lot of differences and people of any age can get them. A lot of info out there (but not here) isn't very helpful.  Take care, we're all here for you.

• Posted

Thank you so much. I'm hoping since I started the meds early I don't get the rash! Good luck on yours as well

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear, but it does sound like shingles. You are so lucky to have seen a dr. that considered this diagnosis without a rash, and you being so young. The fact is, you can be young and you don't have to have a rash!! REST, REST, REST!! It is vital with this virus. I don't know how to advise you to get that with a 4mo old, but you have to tell people that can help you how important it is for you. You are not lazy, a whimp, or looking for sympathy. Also, eat foods high in lysine and avoid foods high in arginine. Look up the lysine argenine ratio online. Take care of yourself and congrats on your new bundle.

• Posted

Dear Jess,

I am sorry you are going through this. With your prodromal symptoms of the "flu," and your face burning and on fire, it sounds like Shingles without the rash or "Zoster Sine Herpete.". Unfortunately, not having the rash doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt any less. I am glad you were started on the antivirals immediately. They will stop the virus from replicating, the pain will be less intense, and the duration shorter than if you had not received them. Fortunately, no rash means you are not infectious!

Do you have anyone to help you with childcare? I know from experience and being a single mother that having Shingles with a severe agonizing excruciating headache is a terrible place to be.

Has the pain localized to the eye or ear? Have you noticed any change in your vision? Any swelling around your eye? If so, you need to see an opthalmologist STAT!

If you have any facial droop, ear ache, imbalance, see an ENT...

Did you receive any analgesics for the pain? I realize if you are alone with your children, you need to be alert. This is the time you need to ask for help from family members & friends. The key is to sleep and rest. Fatigue and malaise and exhaustion are the accompanying symptoms to the severe burning lancinating pain. Obviously, we have been through this and know you can't power through this.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States and have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles every three to five weeks in my right ear for the past twenty years and twice in my right eye.

Please let me know how I can help you.

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you, the burning and itching is still in full effect my eye is itching but I don't think it's swollen. Sorry to hear you go thru this too, as it is painful!! Hoping the anti viral takes care of it and no rash! I have been resting and I'm just taking Tylenol but plan to go to a dr Monday!

• Posted

Sounds like you got it! good you started antivirals right away. you need to lean on your family and freinds now to help you get through this. you will come in contact with people at this forum who are very knowledgable, maybe more than the doctors. here you can ask questions and find answers and most of all a tremendous support group. We are all in this together.

I've had Shingles for over a year now, was very severe. incredible pain unlike any i've experienced. Half of my face collapsed, my right eye would not close, my mouth would not work and my stamina went to nil. it's devastating and you will need help.

Welcome to the Club!

I see you've met Merry already!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.