Shingrex, new Shingles Vaccine, on path for FDA approval

Posted , 10 users are following.

Shingrex, the new and improved vaccine by GlaxoSmithKline, was submitted to the FDA for approval on October 24, 2016. The killed vaccine has a vastly superior efficacy rate in the 93-97% range that does not diminish overy time or decrease due to age. Zostavax, by Merck, has an efficacy rate of 53-37%.

The new vaccine has an adjunct that improves it efficacy rate.

The vaccine has not been tested on individuals who have recurrent Herpes Zoster-Shingles episodes, but as Zostavax has shown some efficacy in preventing recurrent Herpes Zoster-Shingles or reducing the number of episodes in those who have recurrent episodes of shingles, there is hope that the vaccine will have the ability to decrease or prevent the recurring attacks.

5 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

That is fantastic news.  How long is typical for approval time?
    • Posted

Lisa,

The approval process can take between 6 months to 2 years, unless it receives an accelerated approval.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I didn't realize there was such a low efficacy rate, I thought it was only 50%. That explains why my doctor's not a fan of it.

• Posted

I got my shingles on 5th July 2o16  I was slowly getting my life back these last few weeks now this last week it back to where i started pain, burning,will it take as long to get over this time or will it be shortlived.My Dr told me as i had the vaccine I probably would not get them again I get no rash but all the symptons.but. not so lucky.
  • Posted

I AM SO EXCITED TO LEARN THIS!!!!!

5 times I hate shingles...and I am on Rituximab so can not take live virus this is the best hope I have ever had to stop these damnable outbreaks .

Thank you!

hugs

judith

• Posted

HI,,

Shingrix is a non-live virus. Mabe you can try it on a biological. Check with your dr. It scheduled to be approved by the FDA soon.

I can't  wait to try it. Shingles has so many complications.

• Posted

Judith,

I am not on a biologic, but Herpes Zoster-Shingles messes with my life...I am certain it contributed to my two strokes...etc etc etc those of us who have recurrent episodes are all immunocompromised...we may not know it in the beginning, but the truth rears its head sooner or later.. it is how you respond to the challenges on this great adventure called life that can make all the difference between enjoying yourself and your life and being a muddled mess.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

It's a non-live virus.

to read the clinical test results go to New England medical journal.

• Posted

Merry Juliana...I just love your name. I so agree with you! I live in spite of my diseases! I am winning. .

hugs

• Posted

So Hope,

Is your name Hope?

I love yours, as well!

I am well named, as the eternal optimist. No matter what happens, I keep on chugging along with a smile on my face and love and laughter in my heart.. My identical twin is named Holly Lynn, but she is more of a pessimist. When we were struck with the "identical" breast cancer last year, she had a more difficult time coping. I am a Nurse Practitioner and she is a Nursing Professor. (Our Breast cancers were in the same area of the same breast, same size, same time of discovery, same tumor markers, same tumor grade, same everything.... Eerie...I just knew we were going to be ok and get through it....and we did... Fortunately, as we get yearly Mammograms, the prognosis is excellent for both.

I love her dearly and we are very close.

Happy Holidays, Hope

Nice Alliteration. .

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.